Winchester to supply 200 million rounds to DHS???

This is from August, but it's the first I've heard of it!

http://www.gunreports.com/news/ammo/Winchester-ICE-Homeland-Security-ICE_1460-1.html

Winchester to Deliver 200 Million 40-Cal. Rounds to Homeland Security

August 22, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years.

The load selected for this contract is a 135-grain, hollow point designed for the office of Field Operations of Customs and Border Protection. It will fall under the Winchester Ranger line.

So maybe Obama is gearing up for civil war?

There aren't 200 million wetbacks in this country, that's for sure.

Plus janet Napolitano has already stated that she considers Christians, veterans and Ron Paul supporters to be a serious threat.

200 million is a whole lot. That's enough to take care of every non-democrat in the country!

Edited by Bounce12
  • Like 2

Doubt it helps ammo prices though, which is probably the real reason.

Another interesting point, but they're making 135 grain bullets.

My personal PD .40 cal ammo is 165 grain. I wonder why they chose to buy 135 gr?

This is from August, but it's the first I've heard of it!

http://www.gunreports.com/news/ammo/Winchester-ICE-Homeland-Security-ICE_1460-1.html

Winchester to Deliver 200 Million 40-Cal. Rounds to Homeland Security

August 22, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years.

The load selected for this contract is a 135-grain, hollow point designed for the office of Field Operations of Customs and Border Protection. It will fall under the Winchester Ranger line.

Don't most Feds carry the .40 nowadays?

Yes they do carry .40 S&W - if they are going through Winchester/Olin I guess ATK can't keep up...

Keep up????

Shit man, they ordered 200,000,000 rounds! WTF could BORDER PATROL possibly need with 200,000,000 rounds?

How many of us can HONESTLY say that we are as accurate as a professional with a handgun?

Don't cheat yourself.

Your firearms are absolutely useless & quite dangerous if you're not proficient with them.

Now is the time to spruce up while ammo is cheap(er) again.

We ALL need to be able to shoot with sights & without.

While aming & from the hip.

Shoot like your pistol is an extension of you. Get the feel for it. Squeeze the trigger, don't pull, or your shots will be to the right (if you're right handed)

And shoot with the pistols you will be using. Don't go cheap & just shoot .22s when you carry a 9mm.

Shoot out to 25 yards with a pistol. If you're acurate @ 75', you will be accurate when closer.

Shoot full mags rapidly until EVERY shot is in the kill zone. Yes it's expensive, but the skill is priceless.

It's not as much as it sounds like on the surface. If you do the math:

200,000,000 / spread out over 5 years = 40,000,000 rounds per year (still sounds like a large number I know)

There are approximately 15,000 ICE employees, but let's say only half are armed and the rest are office support.

40,000,000 / 7,500 employees = 5333 rounds per year per employee (still sounds slightly hefty, right?)

But if you figure they probably get one trip a week at the range for practice....

5333 / 52 weeks = 102 Rounds Per Week

That's a pretty reasonable number, especially when Joe Taxpayer is paying for your ammunition. I could easily burn through a hundred rounds of ammo a week in practice, especially if that's what my job involved. Now if they had NO range time or practice, THEN I would be concerned about what they were stockpiling for...

It's not as much as it sounds like on the surface. If you do the math:

200,000,000 / spread out over 5 years = 40,000,000 rounds per year (still sounds like a large number I know)

There are approximately 15,000 ICE employees, but let's say only half are armed and the rest are office support.

40,000,000 / 7,500 employees = 5333 rounds per year per employee (still sounds slightly hefty, right?)

But if you figure they probably get one trip a week at the range for practice....

5333 / 52 weeks = 102 Rounds Per Week

That's a pretty reasonable number, especially when Joe Taxpayer is paying for your ammunition. I could easily burn through a hundred rounds of ammo a week in practice, especially if that's what my job involved. Now if they had NO range time or practice, THEN I would be concerned about what they were stockpiling for...

I don't know how many rounds the feds burn through to keep their proficiency, but I know one city cop here who only shoots when he qualifies. He does a couple hundred rounds in preparations for it, but I am virtually certain he's not shooting 100 rounds a week. I wish I knew how often they have to qualify (once a year maybe). I also don't know for sure whether he has to pay for his ammo or not.

I understand what you're saying about the taxpayer footing the bill. When you're not paying for it, you can shamelessly plink with hollow points to your heart's content.

Edited by Bounce12

DHS isnt just ICE, there are regular DHS agents (whatever they do) and they also are over,

Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC),

Transportation Security Administration (TSA),

United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP),

United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),

United States Coast Guard (!)

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

United States Secret Service (!)

So, its anyones guess how many armed men and women our own Reichssicherheitshauptamt employs. It probably isnt an excessive number in relation to how many people they are running around, but it sure is excessive as a sign of how many militarized government enforcers they are, in fact, now running around.

Edited by ReverendFranz