Convert the rifle or the magazine?

Thats it? I thought I had read you need to add a part to the gun to make them work. I only have the 1 factory mag so not worried if it wont work since AK mags are so less expensive.

I assume when I have an AK mag in hand I will be able to see excatly what needs filed?

Thanks

You need to add a bullet guide by tapping a hole into the receiver and then screwing the bullet guide in. Next you slowly file the mag catch until the mags fit. While the Saiga will then be able to accept normal AK mags after this, it would still be illegal due to not complying to 922. If you go to the main board here and look in the conversion section there are many thread that talk about it. Or you could search for "bullet guide."

You need to add a bullet guide by tapping a hole into the receiver and then screwing the bullet guide in. Next you slowly file the mag catch until the mags fit. While the Saiga will then be able to accept normal AK mags after this, it would still be illegal due to not complying to 922. If you go to the main board here and look in the conversion section there are many thread that talk about it. Or you could search for "bullet guide."

Where do you buy a bullet guide from? This 922 stuf is rather confusing and I have read whats posted several times.

Adding a bullet guide makes it illegal? If thats the case, what has to be done to make it legal?

This is the bullet-guide you need to get. Its like $15-30 for a kit from either CSS (round trunnion) or Dinzag (both types).

Drill 1 hole. Tap SLOWLY!! and screw down. Xtra TAP is $5 at Lowes. Kit includes 1 tap and bit. Just go SLOW.

post-8775-12612376312466_thumb.jpg

post-8775-12612376105601_thumb.jpg

If you opt not to file the mag 'catch' you have to modify all your mags (PITA).

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine

Where do you buy a bullet guide from? This 922 stuf is rather confusing and I have read whats posted several times.

Adding a bullet guide makes it illegal? If thats the case, what has to be done to make it legal?

No, adding a magazine higher than 10 rounds makes it illegal. Here is the easiest way to understand 922R for the Saiga. It has 14 total parts. For you to use standard AK mags (20+ rounds), 4 out of the 10 parts of the Saiga need to be switched to USA made parts. You have the choice as to what you swap out. There are many options. The best is to restore the Saiga back to its original design of the AK. This is called conversion as well. You would replace the stock, supply a pistol grip, and trigger group to make it 922R compliant. This process take some skill, but isnt overly difficult. If you are not able to do it, you can swap out other parts to make it legal.

Edited by Digger44

Im assuming it comes with some detailed instructions on where to drill and tap the hole? Cant tell from the pics.

Why does this mod make it illegal? What else can be done on the cheap to make it legal if I do this mod?

Adding the Bullet Guide and filing the mag catch isnt what is illegal from what I know(could be wrong, somebody correct me if that is the case), it is adding a foreign mag. You need to convert by using a US fire control group, US Stock and Pistol Grip to reduce the amount of foreign parts in your gun so that you can add the magazine. You can change the piston, mag follower and floorplates to U.S. as well to be safe.

Just need to SEE if you have the FLAT or ROUNDED (aka curved) trunnion. You can see that when you take off the dust cover. Mine was a FLAT type (aka square and no curve)

Sapper. I think the term is 'making capable' of using military mags. Nao will clarify.

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine

Sapper. I think the term is 'making capable' of using military mags. Nao will clarify.

This is correct.

If your Saiga (or (former) single-stack WASR or FEG) is capable of accepting non-sporting magazines, it needs to be 922r compliant.

So if I use US made mag its complient?

You have a 14 part gun, that magazine makes up 3 parts. even using US made mags you would need to change something else out.

It is easy to reach compliance, have a better weapon, and use comblock mags(that are cheaper).

Think of the extra money you would be spending on mags, or a different foregrip, or buttstock for a unconverted. The price of conversion becomes quite apealing.

BULLET GUIDE 7.62X39 WITH DRILL AND TAP SET

$17.95

GRIP AK/SAIGA GRIP SCREW AND BUSHING SET

$7.95

TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS

$1.00

ORIGINAL AK STYLE STOCK TAPCO

$32.95

GRIP AK/SAIGA ORIGINAL STYLE

$12.95

TRIGGER PARTS-AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR THE SAIGA RIFLES/AK 47

$7.95

TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA/AK-47 SINGLE HOOK G2

$28.95

carolinashooterssupply.com ESTIMATED TOTAL $109.70

You'll need some basic tools also, And a can of black engine enamel spray paint

The above parts is a basic saiga rifle conversion(assuming you have a round trunion, if its flat see dinzagarms website). Feel free to upgrade depending on your budget.

922r parts would be

3 FCG(trigger, hammer and disconector)

1 buttstock

1 pistol grip

for 5 total US made parts on a 15 part count gun(add one for pistol grip) = 10 and that would make you 922r compliant.

If i missed anything someone feel free to chime in.

Edited by Nailbomb

You should be able to get the parts you need from dinzag arms, mississippi auto arms(MAA), or carolina shooter supply(CSS).

Its always nice to have options, though i recomend ordering from one scource to minimize shipping.

Edited by Nailbomb