You should stay the hell away from any H&K designs that have been mangled by century.

They either have no idea what they're doing, or don't care and just slam the pieces together anyway.

The roller locked G3 design requires some care in it's construction, and century just grinds'em at their check points (so that they give a false "good" measurement).

You should stay the hell away from any H&K designs that have been mangled by century.

They either have no idea what they're doing, or don't care and just slam the pieces together anyway.

The roller locked G3 design requires some care in it's construction, and century just grinds'em at their check points (so that they give a false "good" measurement).

Hmmm, everything I've been able to find on various boards (haven't found a lot) was generally positive about the fit,finish,and construction of these rifles. Same with the Youtube vids. Nalioth, I have no doubt you are probably way more experienced with various weapons platforms than I, but you really come across as being a Saiga sales rep at times...

Hmmm, everything I've been able to find on various boards (haven't found a lot) was generally positive about the fit,finish,and construction of these rifles. Same with the Youtube vids. Nalioth, I have no doubt you are probably way more experienced with various weapons platforms than I, but you really come across as being a Saiga sales rep at times...

I didn't say anything about Saigas.

I know the monkeys.

They grind-to-fit these rifles, instead of building them right.

I have had the adventure of owning several Cetmes (slapped together by Century) a few years ago (I was searching for "a good one").

In their Cetmes and G3 rifles, they did not install the barrels as they should have, but rather welded the barreled trunnion right on to the receiver (and ground the bolt head to "headspace" it). Fortunately, this doesn't lead to KABOOMS, but rather fail-to-function conditions.

They grind the ends of the bolt carrier to fit in their cobbled-together cocking tubes (this makes cocking damn near impossible, depending on the extent of the grinding)

They are solely responsible for the canted sights on their H&K type builds (can't blame it on the Spaniards).

If you wish to buy a Century-produced H&K design, I fervently advise you to take someone with you who knows what to look for, and can advise you.

I ended up with a Cetme built on a FMP receiver by a well-known 'smith in Arizona. There are ZERO issues with it.

• Like 1

If you could find a Vector V93, you'd be better off. I haven't heard anything good about the Century guns, but if you buy one, be sure and check the gap between the bolt head and carrier, as stated, they ground the bolt heads and spacing was a big issue, they also ground the locking pieces too.

My suggestion (after owning several guns from Century) would be to build your own, if your not capable of building your own find a gunsmith that will install the barrel and headspace the bolt for you. You should be able to do the rest on your own with basic tools.

You will end up spending a ton less and end up with exactly what you want. www.hkparts.net has great parts for sale, they can also point you in the direction of some good smiths. No I'm not in anyway affiliated with them, but I have purchased many parts through them for my own builds, there good at what they do.

Termite, Vectors are great guns, but since there not around anymore there prices have gone THROUGH THE ROOF! I would go as far as to say a little outrageous almost. I think we chatted about vector in another thread here, I used to own there .308 pistol (which I loved and should have NEVER sold). I bought it for $800.00 sold it for $950.00 used and see that they are now $2000.00+ that's astonishing!

JP,

I have one that was built by Century. Fortunately, I was able to handle several of them at one time and pick the best of the bunch. Nalioth is right about a large majority of the guns I have seen come from Century, but this one actually came out decent. Not perfect by any means, but nice and what I was looking for at the time. It shoots great with no feed/eject issues and is reasonably accurate for what it is or how it was built. Let me know if you want to take a look at it and we can get together at some point.

The one bad thing that I can say about it is the aluminum mags that came with the gun. The ones that I received had the side stop nubs so worn down that the mag would slide completely up and into the mag well. Count on replacing the mags with new ones.

I was a proud owner of Century CETME for 2 days. Defintly a cool rifle... except centry pieced humpty dumtpy back together again. I gave it back to the store an hour ago and I am home with a new 16" saiga .308.

Tore it a apart 2 days ago, the distal part of the charging handle was worn so it didn't push the rollers far enough back to charge easily, wasn't to concerned about that. The head spacing was .005" good, the bolt was ground on the back to get the head spacing in limits (ghetto gun smithing), most of the welds looked good some were too high, front sight was canted to the left, rear sight was canted to the right and to think this was the better looking cetme in the store. :lolol:

Range report.

It was shooting extremely high and to the right at 50yrds off the paper high (that when I discoverd the canted sights).

The grouping was good very good though and the recoil felt like a .22.

I was willing to file down the fat welds and change the charging lever. The ground down bolt and f'ed up sights was unacceptable.

I did not lose any money so I am good.

My research on Century CETME's Revealed

Reason why they ground down bolts is because centry didn't take the time and put the barrels in right so some too deep into the reciever.

Sights WTF do they smoke when aligning them?

I loved the German/Spanish part of the gun... just not the CAI part of it.

I think I will fold my own and make it the proper way.

My research on Century CETME's Revealed

Reason why they ground down bolts is because centry didn't take the time and put the barrels in right so some too deep into the reciever.

No sir.

They didn't install barrels at all.

They welded the existing barrel trunnion (right out of the military parts kit) with barrel still attached right on to the new receiver.

Then they grind the bolt heads to "headspace" on the pre-existing barrel/trunnion. This is also the reason for the ground bolt carrier (at the end next to the charging handle).

It's very sad, and "ghetto gun smithing" is a kind phrase.

What's really sad is that someone who knows what they're doing can't even pull the rifle apart and rebuild it correctly, due to the ground up critical parts. . .

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction :smoke:. I was skim reading all the complaints on other forums to find the reason why they had to grind it to get the spacing right and I read something about the barrel... anyways.

If your going to buy one I would make sure you can see it in person and know to disassemble it. Take a bore sight to help check the sights, flex light to look down the barrel, check the back of the bolt for ground surfaces, and then give it back the person behind the counter and look for something else to buy.

Man I didn't even look at the end of the bolt carrier.

I still want a cetme or g3. I get bored of taking apart the same gun in different calibers :lolol:.