Sorry to sound like a dumb ass but i am looking for a nice wood set for my AK47 and i see alot of different sets. can someone tell me what a laminated wood set is? They look real pretty. They are really shinny. are they real wood? or fake wood? Thanks for your time guys, Harleyc

A laminated stock set is made from basically gluing a bunch of different layers of wood together like plywood, then cutting out the parts and shaping / sanding them down. The other sets like beech and walnut, etc are cut out of solid hardwood. The laminated ones are more colorful because the stain is taken differently by the multiple layers so it makes a variable finish.On a really well done set of laminate like the ones from Russia, they use a variety of red stains and the sun hits them differently in the multiple layers, giving it an almost 3-D effect.

post-1293-12626636575927_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Laminated furniture is softer, but stronger overall. It is almost always imported... Takeoff stocks.

Hardwood is a solid block of wood, You can find them made in USA, so they are better for 922r. & have a large variety of woods you may come across.

If you do go with laminated & want to make the mustard yellow, into red, find mine here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13312&st=450 I included instructions.

It is redder in person.

S-129mmtargets25yds-1.jpg

These are Russian AKM takeoff stocks.

Edited by Paulyski

You guys must be able to see a picture or video that I can not see because all of the wood that you are sporting.... :lolol::lolol::lolol: Ok, sorry but there was no way that I was going to let that one go without a comment :haha:

Edited by GeorgiaPD

As mentioned, Ironwood Designs makes some fantastic, US made wooden stocks sets of all different kinds of wood and types. I bought a set of laminate birch AKM furniture and did a home made red stain on it with clothing dyes and alcohol. They make a great product, and are very helpful.

On the downside, the guy is a much better woodworker than businessman. It took many weeks for my product to arrive, there is no order status page or anything. And to top it off, you have to print out, fill out an order form, calculate your own shipping and option prices, and snail mail in a money order or check like it's 1995 again. He doesn't even have paypal or any type of commercial credit card service on the page.

Would I order from him again? Probably. But not on a project I want done soon. It's a shame such a great product, filling such a unique role, with such high demand, is not run like it. If you do go with his furniture, be ready to sit back and wait.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

As mentioned, Ironwood Designs makes some fantastic, US made wooden stocks sets of all different kinds of wood and types. I bought a set of laminate birch AKM furniture and did a home made red stain on it with clothing dyes and alcohol. They make a great product, and are very helpful.

On the downside, the guy is a much better woodworker than businessman. It took many weeks for my product to arrive, there is no order status page or anything. And to top it off, you have to print out, fill out an order form, calculate your own shipping and option prices, and snail mail in a money order or check like it's 1995 again. He doesn't even have paypal or any type of commercial credit card service on the page.

Would I order from him again? Probably. But not on a project I want done soon. It's a shame such a great product, filling such a unique role, with such high demand, is not run like it. If you do go with his furniture, be ready to sit back and wait.

Not my experience with Iron Wood at all. Took a while to deliver, but every thing is custom made to order, so naturally it will take longer. Also I paid with PayPal, no snail mail on this end, and did all the ordering direct from his web site:Iron Wood

Edited by Jpanzer

Can you please tell me where you got that awesome red wood set? Did you make it or buy it from a website? and how much???

A laminated stock set is made from basically gluing a bunch of different layers of wood together like plywood, then cutting out the parts and shaping / sanding them down. The other sets like beech and walnut, etc are cut out of solid hardwood. The laminated ones are more colorful because the stain is taken differently by the multiple layers so it makes a variable finish.On a really well done set of laminate like the ones from Russia, they use a variety of red stains and the sun hits them differently in the multiple layers, giving it an almost 3-D effect.

post-1293-12626636575927_thumb.jpg

Your s-12 is fu-king awesome bro, I am also working on one of them right now. can you tell me where you got your stock and how much??

Laminated furniture is softer, but stronger overall. It is almost always imported... Takeoff stocks.

Hardwood is a solid block of wood, You can find them made in USA, so they are better for 922r. & have a large variety of woods you may come across.

If you do go with laminated & want to make the mustard yellow, into red, find mine here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13312&st=450 I included instructions.

It is redder in person.

Harley that picture I posted was one I saved off the web. I think it was from Rusmilitary maybe...I wish it was mine. That's exactly what I'm looking for to put on my 5.45 Saiga. It's a true Russian AK-74 laminated set.

I think it's sad that there are so many people out there like klassy kalashnikov, who are so impatient when ordering from a custom, mom & pop shop like Ironwood, one of the best in the business, and really THE best if you want domestic wood furniture to match a surplus military style. It's pathetic that there are people out there so spoiled by the big box stores that they think they can rush perfection from a small business. They have no earthly idea what it is like to run a small business in this particular industry, yet they are always the ones you hear crying about not getting their products custom made in time for their taste.

Dude it's not walmart and it's not amazon.com. If you want it done yesterday, don't bother some small business who is trying to fill that many orders with a top notch product and successfully uphold their reputation of excellence...while people like you are bitching about them behind their backs on internet forums.

Just don't even bother doing business with these kind of people (me included). People who offer a very limited supply of top notch, custom made parts and services, do not care about doing business with whiners who will turn around and talk about them like that, even after they filled their end of the bargain and delivered to you an excellent product that you could have found NOWHERE ELSE. People like you make my blood boil.

:angry:

Maybe you should rethink that screen name?

Everyone else please accept my apology for ranting about this...this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

• Like 1

Your s-12 is fu-king awesome bro, I am also working on one of them right now. can you tell me where you got your stock and how much??

It is redder in person.

I actually got the russian takeoff stocks from forum member Tokarz1 here a while back for $95.00. Then 15 for the Polish bakelite PG.

Google AK-47 takeoff stocks sale, or AK-47 wood furniture sale.

You should get a bunch of hits & choices for $85-100.

Don't forget sanding. I did a succession of 60 grit, 120 grit & 240 grit on a power sander.

EDIT:

To achieve the Stock color:

1 heavy coat Minwax Red Mahogany stain, let dry 1 day & wipe off lightly.

Then 1 more heavy coat Minwax red Mahogany stain, let dry 1 week & buff lightly with .0000 steel wool.

Lastly, 1 coat Minwax Helmsman outdoor aerosol spray clear high gloss oil based spar urethane, let dry one week.

It looks a bit redder than the pic. My the lighting, gloss of the stock & my camera didn't apparently mix right.

Edited by Paulyski
I think it's sad that there are so many people out there like klassy kalashnikov, who are so impatient when ordering from a custom, mom & pop shop like Ironwood, one of the best in the business, and really THE best if you want domestic wood furniture to match a surplus military style. It's pathetic that there are people out there so spoiled by the big box stores that they think they can rush perfection from a small business. They have no earthly idea what it is like to run a small business in this particular industry, yet they are always the ones you hear crying about not getting their products custom made in time for their taste.

Dude it's not walmart and it's not amazon.com. If you want it done yesterday, don't bother some small business who is trying to fill that many orders with a top notch product and successfully uphold their reputation of excellence...while people like you are bitching about them behind their backs on internet forums.

Just don't even bother doing business with these kind of people (me included). People who offer a very limited supply of top notch, custom made parts and services, do not care about doing business with whiners who will turn around and talk about them like that, even after they filled their end of the bargain and delivered to you an excellent product that you could have found NOWHERE ELSE. People like you make my blood boil.

:angry:

Maybe you should rethink that screen name?

Everyone else please accept my apology for ranting about this...this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I'm not sure where you get the "behind his back" remark, as I relayed my concerns to him directly as well after our transaction. My "review" of my experiences with him included positives to his services as well, and was free of any name calling. It also gives credit to his great work,and is honest as to its shortcomings as well. I'm unsure why you are so offended by an honest review of my experience with a vendor. Also, I don't appreciate the remark about having no idea how a small business works, as there are two in my family and I have worked at one of them. Thank you for your thoughts and I will take you up on the offer of not purchasing from you. No hard feelings.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Business's are run however the principle(s) want. Some feel one aspect is more importasnt then another.

I do feel the overly critical reply to the original poster was uncalled for.

Edited by red_cedar
  • Like 2