hey guys. well i decided what my next gun is going to be. well, almost decided. I want a .50 something. SO, looking around, ive come up with two possibilities and I thought Id post and see if anyone has any experience with either of the guns im looking at.

my first option is an AR15 upper called a ferret50. its a single shot bolt upper that just drops into my AR's lower and fires .50 BMG. has cool factor to it, but im not really after cool factor. i want something completely overpowered. Im sure some of you can understand. does anybody have experience with these uppers?

404005m.jpg

my second choice is another AR upper. this one is in 50 beowulf and is made by alexander arms. it takes a propretary round, but is a 50 caliber round, and is semi-auto. further it is a little cheaper to shoot and own than the ferret50 would be. the cool part about it, is Im looking at an upper that otherwise looks like any other AR upper, and I could definately scare the crap out of many people thinking its a 5.56 upper until its fired :) that sort of surprise is always a plus to me. I am leaning more tword this option, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any problems with this upper.

beopluskit.jpg

Also, I would of course reload for either of these guns. I see alexander arms sells reloading dies and other stuff that I would need, but Im wondering about 50 BMG reloading. the large shell, now do they need a special press to reload them? how expensive are the dies for 50 BMG?

any info you all might be able to impart upon me would definately help me out, as im at the point where im going to have to buy both and sell the one i dont like as much.

I'm also wanting to join the Big 50 club, but do to the cost and lack of appropriate ranges for a 50BMG, I'm looking at the Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf set. Are there any major or minor problems with these uppers?

Anybody in the Austin or DFW wanna hook me up? I'll buy my own ammo :wub:

Bvamp-

The obvious answer is: GET BOTH! :eek:

There are a lot of good reasons for the up-powered calibers in the AR-15. I have no first hand knowledge of the Beowulf, but it has been around long enough to have the kinks worked out and load development is done. You can use a regular sized reloading press. Increased stopping power at AR15 ranges. You are not increasing the accurate reach.

The 50BMG is another world of its own. You do need a special sized reloading press. Depending on components, you are looking at $2 and up per round. I have stocked up a couple of hundred rounds for the day I finally get one. The impetus to have one is not from any practical standpoint. Someday I hope to have the time to shoot longrange. Maybe even 1000 yards, just for the challenge. The big push for me to own a .50 is that there are some politicians that want to pass laws prohibiting me from owning one. Backwards reasoning I know, but there it is.

You might also check out the Ultralight 50, the Ultramag and the Serbu.

Well, I would have BEATEN you to the 50 club, myself....

BUT... I decided that buying 7 saigas, and two other guns, instead of *JUST ONE* was the more *FUN* investment potential.... MAYBE NEXT TAX season, I will grab a 50... who knows...

Till then, we all dream.... :)

:smoke:

I would argue it depends on what you want to do with it. IF you are just looking for power, get the bmg. IF you want it to be useful for something besides causing you to laugh like a maniac (and getting a gun that may be banned in a few years) get a beo. BUt i have no real experience with this stuff.

Beo round next to a 223

Mvc-005f.jpg

Bmg bullet next to a 223

5556-050.jpg

And the flame of a 50 bmg

flame2.jpg

If you haven't found these boards yet, i suggest you go here and talke with guys who have some experience with the guns.

liink 1

link 2(They'll have you talked out of a beo and into a 458 socom in no time.

And finally. . . .

Numero tres

Edited by GPdave
  • 5 weeks later...

the ferret 50 is about the bottom of the barrel for .50 bmg uppers. i mean, it's quality material, and relatively well constructed but the design ain't so hot...incredibly basic and the bipod attachment if a huge frigging joke!!! i finally just took mine off...

i'm thinking of trading mine in for a serbu or um50...

This just in at Gilberts...

NIB --Steyr HS50 $4500 They just started importing these and we got one.

001944.medium.jpg

SOLD QUICK USED (5rds!) --Armalite AR50 $2200 (Comes with Leatherwood 6.5-20x44 scope, mounts, and prince bipod)

000923.medium.jpg

If my range was big enough, I'd be all over that Armalite.

Edited by KySoldier
  • 4 weeks later...

true on that one. the price between the two is similar to a cheap 22 and an expensive 223 as well. then there is the price difference in the ammo.

id hate to buy a gun that i can only afford to shoot a handful of times every year on the 4th of july.

BVamp, you don't need me to tell you to buy yourself one. You better get to it soon since it appears every other State Poodle, er, State Senator or Congressman is introducing legislature in their respective States to outlaw the sale and possession of the .50 BMG. There aren't enough people starving, going without heat in the winter, children getting less than quality education; yet all these poodles can be concerned about is you or I owning a .50 BMG and why we would need such a weapon.

its too bad its none of thier business why i "need" it. thats the part they dont get. the other thing is, any terrorist that acquires one has already broken the law. whats making them illegal going to do to stop them exactly? ANYTHING? give me a break.

where i shoot, there is a major trout water just around the corner. as many of you know, the fishing community is absolutely loaded with spineless facist pricks that dont like "evil assault weapons". well, you should see how fast they all scatter when i open up on my range. the sound does kind of reflect right down through the woods to them all, and it is hellaciously loud down there. totally safe though. hey, tough shit right? i would HAVE to send someoen down there with a video camera when i got a 50 just to film the exodus when i touch that thing off. hell i think ill have someone film the exodus the next time i go fire off the regular stuff i have. its pretty funny.

spineless bastards. THATS who is voting to take away my guns? no wonder. they are complete failures as americans. i couldnt give any less of a flying fuck what they want.

For those of us that aren't up on our .22lr and .223 and Beo.50 and .50BMG's

Ok... 22lr is your standard .22 caliber round... ( think Ruger 10/22)

.223 is a standard US military caliber ( also called the NATO 5.56MM) Think AR-15

.50 Beowulf is some wildcat round, thats like a gigantic 9MM round, or 44 magnum round, only .50 inches in diameter. but looks like a big 9mm round on arnold's Steroids...

.50 BMG is the pride of the US military... .50 caliber over 600 grains of lead zinging downrange... one thing to note... the BULLET in a .50 BMG is LONGER and LARGER than a complete .223 cartridge with bullet seated!!! ( There are pictures above of the .223, the .50 beowulf, and a .50 BMG bullet)

hope that helps... without pictures... thats about the best I can do after giving it about 30 seconds of thought... LOL

Edited by IndyArms
For those of us that aren't up on our .22lr and .223 and Beo.50 and .50BMG's, can we get a quick rundown?  Thanks

22lr: ~40gr lead, 1000 to 1200 FPS, 90 Ft/Lbs to 110 Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle

.223: ~45gr to 60gr lead, 3000 to 3500 FPS, 1200 to 1400 Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle

Beowulf 50: ~325gr lead, 1900 FPS, 2000 Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle

50BMG: 665 gr lead, 2900 FPS, 12,000+ Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle

All bullet weights, velocities, and energy numbers are averages of what I've found online.

WELL, the SHIT HIT THE FAN IN *NY* FOLKS!!!!!

They just made the .50 *OUTLAW WEAPON* OF THE DAY in NY STATE!!!!

They are "Too Dangerous" and "No One NEEDS to have one of them"

COCKSUCKING FASCIST FUCKS.....

Sorry... I am just SOOO FUCKING PISSED.... how can they LEGALLY VIOLATE THE SECOND AMENDMENT?!?!?!

MY RIGHT TO BEAR THAT ARM HAS BEEN *INFRINGED*

NO! fuck that... not INFRINGED... fucking TOTALLY REMOVED! GONE... NO RIGHT ANYMORE!!! DONE!!!

What the fuck!?!!?!?!?

Hrm...so I'm in a pickle and was hoping y'all could help me figure it out. I eventually want a .50BMG, preferably a Barrett Magazine-Fed Bolt Action, but those puppies cost an arm and a leg (~$5500). So here's my question...

I'd rather wait until I can better afford the gun, but if it's going to be outlawed, then that might not be such a great option. NY and CA have already banned them (that I know of, there may be more states by now), but these are somewhat liberal states. Do you think there'll be a nation-wide ban?

If there is a nation-wide ban, will .50s become like fully automatic weapons and skyrocket in price (ie: a great investment) after the new laws go into effect? I see fully automatic Uzis going for ~$7k when they originally cost $700, so is there the same kind of potential for .50s? Or will they be outlawed to the point where even a Class III won't allow their trade on the market?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I need to rush my decision to buy one, and if I do rush the purchase, see if I could recoop some of the cost if I had to part with it due to future financial difficulties. Also, I'm curious if I should try to pick up 2 of them, one for myself and one to sell at 10x the price like the Uzis. :killer: Thanks for your opinions.