Getting the old stock out

I've managed to remove the bottom tang screw and the rear tang screw on top, but that third screw (the one you have to remove the cover to get at) is not coming out... I've soaked it overnight in penetrating oil and it's still in tight.

Suggestions? Am I missing something?

I don't know what you have available for tools but you could try putting the gun in a padded vice and then using a screwdriver bit in a socket wrench. That will give you more leveredge but it will also increase the chance that you will strip the head of the screw out. Then you will have to drill it out.

Another alternative could be that the screw is being held fast by the paint they used when it was made. Maybe a little acetone (fingernail polish remover) around the screw head would break it down and allow the screw to come free. Acetone also "melts" or softens many plastics so it may have a helpful effect there. Be careful using this because it WILL damage the finish of your gun. A couple of drops at a time is all it may take.

That's all I've got, good luck.

Shep

DRILL IT!!! :devil:

no, but seriously. What shep said is the best thing to do. I had the same problem with the first removal. A couple drops of paint thinner, a socket wrench, clapmed it down and out she came. GOOD LUCK!!

Use vicegrips or a good tight 'cheater' on the screwdriver, put the stock in a vice or something solid and put ALL your weight on the screwdriver to prevent camming out when turning. Lots of luck.

G O B

From the old days of motorcycles, we used a "impact screwdriver", in fact I just removed my stock today and had to use the "impact screwdriver".

It's important to use a driver bit that fits snugly and goes all the way to the bottom of the screw.

You use a two-pound or more sledge hammer and hit the end of the screwdriver, hence the "impact". When the end of the screwdriver is hit it is "impacted" down and the internal mechanism turns the screw.

Impact screwdrivers are available at Harbor Freight, Part Number 37530-OVGA. $6.95.

Have Fun.

I just took the screws out, and wiggled the stock side to side against my hip while sitting... then a wide flathead in the groove... will just EASILY work the stocks loose... no fuss, no banging... just slowly work them out... easy...

:smoke:

When you don't have an impact screwdriver a couple of smart taps with a hammer to the screwdriver helps loosen things up.

I know what you mean teadie, I've got 4 5 rounders (one still in the wrap) and a couple of two's so I can be patient. I can see how it would be really frustrating only having one mag and no pile of other AK's with you at the range though.

Acetone doesn't seem to have removed the paint any, as it looks like the oil level didn't drop any overnight... other ideas?

The oil level didn't drop any?? Not sure what you mean CrazyJ. Do you mean that you put acetone on it and the puddle of acetone around the screw head was still there the next day? If that is the case, are you sure you used acetone? I ask because acetone evaporates very quickly and shouldn't last in open air as a liquid very long.

In any case, please give the screw driver bit in the socket wrench thing a try. That will probably get it turning if you hold it down tight with one hand and turn with the other. GOBs and olderandslowers suggestions are also very good and should work. I've never tried Teadies method but the man knows AKs a hell of a lot better than me so you may as well give that a try too.

One other thing you could try is putting a screwdriver bit in a reversable drill. Be sure that the bit is the right size and fits snug. You'll need to put alot of down force on it to prevent it from stripping the slot and of course put the gun in a padded vice if possible. Good luck

Shep

you sure you're turing the driver the right way??

just remember...lefty loosy, righty tighty!!!!! :haha::haha:

just kidding man...couldn't help myself. ive been reading for about the last 3 hours and my brain is fried!!

in all seriousness...definitely take sheps advice with the socket wrench. it worked like a charm for me

good luck!!

Edited by hoop762
The oil level didn't drop any?? Not sure what you mean CrazyJ. Do you mean that you put acetone on it and the puddle of acetone around the screw head was still there the next day? If that is the case, are you sure you used acetone? I ask because acetone evaporates very quickly and shouldn't last in open air as a liquid very long.
I used acetone, then tried putting more penetrating oil on, and it doesn't look like the oil did any penetrating.

In any case, please give the screw driver bit in the socket wrench thing a try. That will probably get it turning if you hold it down tight with one hand and turn with the other.

I'll see if I can find one to borrow this weekend.

Or maybe I'll stop by Sears and try to buy the adaptor for it. Already spent $50 there this week :-P

you sure you're turing the driver the right way??

Yes. And that *is* a fair question, I've turned the wrong way a few times while trying to change the oil in my car.