I'm new to the whole AK thing. I just finished up converting my first 7.62x39 and am very pleased with the results. I purchased the sporter rifle in October 2009 for $390 out the door. I'm looking into a S12, but I'm just wondering what the price was on the rifles and shotguns before the election, and if people think they will go back to those prices. So, what did everyone pay for their rifles and/or shotgun, and when did you purchase it.

Thanks.

Add: This board rocks! The info on these boards was very helpful in helping me finish my rifle.

Edited by CMX

Bought mine in '05 for $360.00 out-the-door. :D

The guy at the gun shop told me I should buy them both (they had two) and sell one in a couple years......that's the only time that guy was ever right!

I think I remember seeing a 19" for about 560 last year, and a 22" for 450 in a LGS. Couldn't be positive though.

Right now the rifles are somewhere in the low to mid $300's at most shops or online distributors. And the shotguns are in the high $400's to low $500's.

A lot of people still base the value of these guns on prices from years ago that are essentially irrelevant. For example, the guy who paid $179 for a B-West Saiga, sure. But that was also in 1994 or so. That's 16 years ago!

This happens with SKS too. People will talk about how they paid $89 for theirs. Yeah, in 1989. 1989. That's 21 years ago. 21 years ago I was just out of my diapers.

Look at modern prices. This year, last year, maybe 3-4 years ago. Any farther and you're just being nostalgic really.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Post election late 08 to mid 09 prices are kinda screwy, and since they are based mainly on artificial shortage, fear, and in some cases even panic, they don't have much of a logical correlation to them at all.

For example, Saiga rifles here were in the high 400's pre election. After Barry-O won it and everyone went nuts, new in box unconverted Saigas shot up to over $650 or so around here. Now here's where the funny part came in. Any law that was feared in congress would make "assault weapons" illegal in other states already existed here. There was literally nothing to fear here, because aside from an all out-semi auto ban (unlikely even in our very liberal congress) nothing would really change in this state anyway.

The bubble on prices burst maybe six months ago. Yes, you'll still see disgruntled dealers at the gun show trying to drum up fear still, and refusing to sell their overpriced stuff any lower. I had a guy at a gun shop, not more than 3 weeks ago, saying "I can only sell you 2 boxes of 30-30 today. But I'll tell you what I'll sell you 3. Stock up man, stock up. It could be any day now on the ban" I could hardly keep a straight face.

But even those people's prices are coming down quickly and even the most stubborn of them can't hold out much longer. The bills don't pay themselves :)

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov