Hello, my search has finally lead me here!

Hey everybody. I'm excited to join the world of Saiga and begin contributing to this forum.

My story:

For various reasons, the need to own a capable SHTF rifle has been growing heavier on my mind. Being a good American, I instantly thought: "I need an AR-15". So i researched the different manufacturers, fondled some at the gun show, and almost bought a Stag Arms Model 1. I don't want to start a war here but the bottom line is, I've come to the conclusion that the AR-15 is not reliable enough for my needs, period.

Here is a good read: http://madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

My criteria in order of importance:

1. Reliability: it just works. I don't care how dirty it is, what country the ammo is from, or when the last time I cleaned it was.

2. Accuracy: able to hit a silhouette at 100yds with iron sights.

3. Customization: for stock/optics configs.

4. Spare Parts: readily available with a bright future.

5. Price: less than $1,000 would be nice

6. Ammo: any affordable caliber (<40cents per round)

7. Warranty: nice to be able to fix issues if you get a lemmon, but it's last on the list of priorities.

CONTENDER #1: AR-180

ar180.jpg

It solves the reliability problem of the AR-15s gas impingement system only to create a new one with the weak lower receiver. Regardless if you get the early stamped metal version or the newer polymer one, substantial accounts of receivers cracking was enough to disqualify this rifle from my list. It's a shame that Armalite didn't produce a quality metal receiver cuz this rifle has some serious potential.

CONTENDER #2: ROBINSON ARMS XCR MINI

xcrmini.jpg

This rifle seems to have it all, but at about $1500 it better! Ultimately, it failed for the same reason as the AR-180: Reliability. After reading lots of reviews on this gun by owners I just didn't feel that it was hassle-free enough. Plenty of people have had to send it back to RA for various updates and issues and I believe that for that kind of money it better be damn near perfect.

CONTENDER #3: Ruger SR 556

ruger556.png

I like this gun a lot. I think it's great that Ruger went to an adjustable gas piston design but hate the fact that they left the charging handle and forward assist the same. It's a faulty design and one that I can't justify spending almost as much as a Robinson Arms on. I mean one of the biggest things that I hate about the AR-15 is when it go bang right, but it sucks even more trying to clear the jam with that useless forward assist/extractor set up. Another reason this gun was disqualified: everyone basically talks about how it is a Daewoo at double the price, and there is some truth to that.

CONTENDER #4: DAEWOO DR200/K2

daewoo.jpg

This gun gets pretty good marks!

Reliability: A-

Accuracy: A

Customization: C+

Spare Parts: C

Price: C

Ammo: C+

Warranty: D (A, if purchased with Davidson's warranty)

I still really like this gun but it is not the cheapest option out there and even though some spare parts are available now it is a major concern should S really hit the F. If I found a good deal on one I'd probably pick it up in the future but I just feel like having a more common gun has several advantages.

CONTENDER #5: SAIGA 7.62x39

saiga.jpg

I'm in love. :wub:

Reliability: A+, It's an AK made in Russia at a Top Notch Factory!

Accuracy: B+ (stock sights), Not as good as an AR15 (to me, i prefer ghost rings) but hitting paper plates at 100yds with iron sights seems the norm from the targets that i've seen posted.

Customization: B

Spare Parts: C+ (need a bit of help here still), so far I've gathered that it can take some stock AK parts. But i figure at the cost of a new Siaga ($300) I can just buy 2 and cannibalize one if necessary.

5. Price: A+

6. Ammo: A

7. Warranty: B

So I think I'm sold! I'm really looking forward to getting one and adding all my personal preferences. I'm especially excited to feed it the big, bad, and mean (and cheap and plentiful) 7.62x39.

So what do you guys think with my journey? Don't hate or jump on my thoughts too bad as I think they are pretty well grounded.

My only question is: What makes a Saiga better than any other AK-47??????? (I'm being serious, I don't know much about all the AKs that you see at JG, etc.)

Hey everybody. I'm excited to join the world of Saiga and begin contributing to this forum.

My story:

For various reasons, the need to own a capable SHTF rifle has been growing heavier on my mind. Being a good American, I instantly thought: "I need an AR-15". So i researched the different manufacturers, fondled some at the gun show, and almost bought a Stag Arms Model 1. I don't want to start a war here but the bottom line is, I've come to the conclusion that the AR-15 is not reliable enough for my needs, period.

Here is a good read: http://madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

My criteria in order of importance:

1. Reliability: it just works. I don't care how dirty it is, what country the ammo is from, or when the last time I cleaned it was.

2. Accuracy: able to hit a silhouette at 100yds with iron sights.

3. Customization: for stock/optics configs.

4. Spare Parts: readily available with a bright future.

5. Price: less than $1,000 would be nice

6. Ammo: any affordable caliber (<40cents per round)

7. Warranty: nice to be able to fix issues if you get a lemmon, but it's last on the list of priorities.

CONTENDER #1: AR-180

ar180.jpg

It solves the reliability problem of the AR-15s gas impingement system only to create a new one with the weak lower receiver. Regardless if you get the early stamped metal version or the newer polymer one, substantial accounts of receivers cracking was enough to disqualify this rifle from my list. It's a shame that Armalite didn't produce a quality metal receiver cuz this rifle has some serious potential.

CONTENDER #2: ROBINSON ARMS XCR MINI

xcrmini.jpg

This rifle seems to have it all, but at about $1500 it better! Ultimately, it failed for the same reason as the AR-180: Reliability. After reading lots of reviews on this gun by owners I just didn't feel that it was hassle-free enough. Plenty of people have had to send it back to RA for various updates and issues and I believe that for that kind of money it better be damn near perfect.

CONTENDER #3: Ruger SR 556

ruger556.png

I like this gun a lot. I think it's great that Ruger went to an adjustable gas piston design but hate the fact that they left the charging handle and forward assist the same. It's a faulty design and one that I can't justify spending almost as much as a Robinson Arms on. I mean one of the biggest things that I hate about the AR-15 is when it go bang right, but it sucks even more trying to clear the jam with that useless forward assist/extractor set up. Another reason this gun was disqualified: everyone basically talks about how it is a Daewoo at double the price, and there is some truth to that.

CONTENDER #4: DAEWOO DR200/K2

daewoo.jpg

This gun gets pretty good marks!

Reliability: A-

Accuracy: A

Customization: C+

Spare Parts: C

Price: C

Ammo: C+

Warranty: D (A, if purchased with Davidson's warranty)

I still really like this gun but it is not the cheapest option out there and even though some spare parts are available now it is a major concern should S really hit the F. If I found a good deal on one I'd probably pick it up in the future but I just feel like having a more common gun has several advantages.

CONTENDER #5: SAIGA 7.62x39

saiga.jpg

I'm in love. :wub:

Reliability: A+, It's an AK made in Russia at a Top Notch Factory!

Accuracy: B+ (stock sights), Not as good as an AR15 (to me, i prefer ghost rings) but hitting paper plates at 100yds with iron sights seems the norm from the targets that i've seen posted.

Customization: B

Spare Parts: C+ (need a bit of help here still), so far I've gathered that it can take some stock AK parts. But i figure at the cost of a new Siaga ($300) I can just buy 2 and cannibalize one if necessary.

5. Price: A+

6. Ammo: A

7. Warranty: B

So I think I'm sold! I'm really looking forward to getting one and adding all my personal preferences. I'm especially excited to feed it the big, bad, and mean (and cheap and plentiful) 7.62x39.

So what do you guys think with my journey? Don't hate or jump on my thoughts too bad as I think they are pretty well grounded.

My only question is: What makes a Saiga better than any other AK-47??????? (I'm being serious, I don't know much about all the AKs that you see at JG, etc.)

Well you definately did your homework...many of us here have been on your journey and congrats on the New Saiga...they rock...the folks on here know their shit so if you need help these guys are the best...of course nothing less for the Saiga Forum... :super:

Well, I think you dismissed the XCR too easily. My experience with it is very similar to my experience with Saigas. Sure, you may have a few minor bugs to work out in the beginning, and most of those are during the breakin period, but what you end up with in the end is very reliable. Had you chosen that one though I would have advised you to resist the temptation to be "cool" and forget the mini.

Saiga is a good choice because it is as close true Russian AK as you are likely to get. There are other reasons that I'm sure others will soon post.

Since spending ~$1000 for an extremely high-quality, reliable SHTF rifle doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker for you, I advise you to go with a SGL21. They're ~$699, new Russian production, (from Legion, the Izhmash custom rifle shop), and as close to an AK-103 as you're gonna find for anywhere near that price.

I've owned a couple and I absolutely love em. They have a beautiful fit and finish, with no goofy "sporter" configuration, (the way standard IZ-132 Saigas are imported), to remedy, have an intact bayonet lug, "accessory" lug, (for your underbarrel grenade launcher :D ), bullet-guide, (so it can use standard AK mags), threaded barrel, AK74-type muzzle brake included, etc, etc.

Read up on all the differences at Arsenal's website, (can't link to it since they're not a site biz member). However, a site biz member does sell em here. Just looked myself and Atlantic has em for ~$679. Imo they're far better, (and more authentic), AKs than any other type in that price range, and are superior to many that cost substantially more.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Well, I think you dismissed the XCR too easily. My experience with it is very similar to my experience with Saigas. Sure, you may have a few minor bugs to work out in the beginning, and most of those are during the breakin period, but what you end up with in the end is very reliable. Had you chosen that one though I would have advised you to resist the temptation to be "cool" and forget the mini.

Saiga is a good choice because it is as close true Russian AK as you are likely to get. There are other reasons that I'm sure others will soon post.

Yes, based on my evaluation I think you are right to say I dismissed it too easily but the price tag had a lot to do with it!

There are lots of good ak's out there besides a saiga. However, most of us here fell in love with the saiga because it is entirely brand new. You can set it up to the specs you want very easily. It is not parts kit from a well used and abused ak. The accuracy can be quite exceptional on some of the saigas. On average, most saiga's on the more accurate side of the AK realm. It is also made in Russia, which as kalashnikov says, the only true producer of AK's. All others are knock-offs.

My advice, forget the others in the high price range. You can easily spend that much to buy a saiga, convert it, and stock up on ammo. I did mine and bought 500 rounds for less than the price that AR's were at the time.

Since spending ~$1000 for an extremely high-quality, reliable SHTF rifle doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker for you, I advise you to go with a SGL21. They're ~$699, new Russian production, (from Legion, the Izhmash custom rifle shop), and as close to an AK-103 as you're gonna find for anywhere near that price.

+1

I love my Saigas, but as I said on another forum, I'm tired of filing, tapping, drilling, and spending money on rifles and still not quite having everything I want. The SGLs have 95% of what I want without me having to do any work. (Mind you though, the work I did on the Saigas taught me a LOT about the AK, how it works, and how to work on it). It's doubtful that you save any money going the Saiga route, if you plan to eventually have all of the additional features. My next rifle will be an SGL. (I still may do another Saiga for a shotgun though, but less features are needed there anyhow).

Edited by Jim Digriz

There are lots of good ak's out there besides a saiga. However, most of us here fell in love with the saiga because it is entirely brand new. You can set it up to the specs you want very easily. It is not parts kit from a well used and abused ak. The accuracy can be quite exceptional on some of the saigas. On average, most saiga's on the more accurate side of the AK realm. It is also made in Russia, which as kalashnikov says, the only true producer of AK's. All others are knock-offs.

My advice, forget the others in the high price range. You can easily spend that much to buy a saiga, convert it, and stock up on ammo. I did mine and bought 500 rounds for less than the price that AR's were at the time.

Just wanted to add that you cannot buy a "sporter" IZ-132 and give it the military features that a SGL21 has for ~$679, and there's a lot of work involved to get it anywhere close, (replacing fsb etc).

It depends on what you want, of course. I like to have as many current Russian military features on my rifle as (legally) possible. ;)

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I've owned a couple and I absolutely love em. They have a beautiful fit and finish, with no goofy "sporter" configuration, (the way standard IZ-132 Saigas are imported), to remedy, have an intact bayonet lug, "accessory" lug, (for your underbarrel grenade launcher :D ), bullet-guide, (so it can use standard AK mags), threaded barrel, AK74-type muzzle brake included, etc, etc.

Read up on all the differences at Arsenal's website, (can't link to it since they're not a site biz member). However, a site biz member does sell em here. Just looked myself and Atlantic has em for ~$679. Imo they're far better, (and more authentic), AKs than any other type in that price range, and are superior to many that cost substantially more.

Wow, that is a great idea! Does the SGL21 use proprietary Saiga parts or will most AK parts work as well? Also, I think what you are saying is that they are already 922r compliant correct?

Wow, that is a great idea! Does the SGL21 use proprietary Saiga parts or will most AK parts work as well? Also, I think what you are saying is that they are already 922r compliant correct?

They use standard AK-100 series parts, (many of which are interchangable with AKM parts), and yes, they are already 922r compliant and ready to use standard foreign AK mags, (from 5-rnd hunting mags to 100-rnd drums), right out of the box.

The only thing you miss out on with a SGL is the custom touch of having something unique.

I can't leave things stock, and sporter saigas give me the chance to "roll my own".

The way I look at it, that's what Saiga shotguns are for. :D

its sickening... I have 2 and still wanna build another...

Just wanted to add that you cannot buy a "sporter" IZ-132 and give it the military features that a SGL21 has for ~$679, and there's a lot of work involved to get it anywhere close, (replacing fsb etc).

It depends on what you want, of course. I like to have as many current Russian military features on my rifle as (legally) possible. ;)

ymmv.

I agree, the SGL 21 is a great deal, but not everyone wants the look of the ak-103. personally, I love the look. I would also suggest looking through the picture threads of all the conversions done and get an idea of what you would like to do. Either build a customized or get one ready to rock'n roll right out of the box.

***edit add in*** i was looking at the atlantic firearms ak page. the SGL 10 is more expensive than the sgl 21 but hasn't had the trigger conversion and only accepts surefire/ factory mags. EEEK!

Edited by GregM1

I spent all day at work looking through the 36 pages of the pictures thread (i still managed to do an hour's worth of actual work) and here is how I envision my Saiga:

-Pistol Grip & Folding Stock

-Tri Forearm Rail w/ forward grip and flashlight

-optics mounted to the left side of the receiver

Now, I've read about the trigger system needing to be replaced but I havent made sense of it yet. From some posts it seems you just buy a US made trigger system and drop it in, but then i see youtube vids of ppl taking their triggers apart so I'm a bit confused there.

The 2 biggest things I have to figure out in order to decide if I should get the SGL21 vs Sporter Saiga are:

1. The 21 comes with a Muzzle Break, if i wanted to change that to a flash hider would that be easy/cost effective when compared to a naked Sporter Saiga muzzle?

2. Regardless of which Rifle I get I want to change the pistol grip and stock. Is one more expensive to change than the other/require more work?

Thanks guys!

I spent all day at work looking through the 36 pages of the pictures thread (i still managed to do an hour's worth of actual work) and here is how I envision my Saiga:

-Pistol Grip & Folding Stock

-Tri Forearm Rail w/ forward grip and flashlight

-optics mounted to the left side of the receiver

Now, I've read about the trigger system needing to be replaced but I havent made sense of it yet. From some posts it seems you just buy a US made trigger system and drop it in, but then i see youtube vids of ppl taking their triggers apart so I'm a bit confused there.

The 2 biggest things I have to figure out in order to decide if I should get the SGL21 vs Sporter Saiga are:

1. The 21 comes with a Muzzle Break, if i wanted to change that to a flash hider would that be easy/cost effective when compared to a naked Sporter Saiga muzzle?

2. Regardless of which Rifle I get I want to change the pistol grip and stock. Is one more expensive to change than the other/require more work?

Thanks guys!

Properly converting (restoring) a sporter Saiga to a pistol grip configuration requires a bit of work, such as drilling out a couple of riveted pins on the side of the receiver, grinding down some rivets on the bottom of the receiver and taking off the bottom plate; as well as cutting a new pistol grip bushing hole, repainting the bottom of receiver, etc. There's plenty of detailed info and guides available on this forum.

The SGL21 is a great AK. I have an SLG21-66, the one with a four rail hand-guard. The fit an finish on mine truly are excellent and it shoots sub 2.5" group with iron sights at 100 yards, using the cheapest commercial ammo. The muzzle break is screwed on standard AK-74 threads. Changing out muzzle attachments, pistol grips and most stocks is trivial and there are plenty of choices available.

post-10789-12646917054852_thumb.jpg

post-10789-12646917129816_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Welcome to the forum.

I'm new to the AK platform but really love it. My first purchase was an Arsenal SGL20. As far as AKs go it's very well made and I'm really glad I bought it. Soon afterward though I got the urge to have a "custom" AK; one with the exact features I want. And so here I am...

My current conversion will have a folding stock and I haven't quite made up my mind on the furniture yet. In the end it will be lots of fun to create my own personalized AK but it will eventually cost me more money than the Arsenal. Doesn't matter to me but just something to consider...

Converting a Saiga to pistol grip AK format is relatively cheap, under $100 if you don't get too fancy. Adding things like folding stocks and AK handguards jacks up the cost. I'm sure we can help you figure out the approximate cost of your specific conversion if you like.

saiga_14.jpg

For importation, there are several "sporting" configurations that must be adhered to for them to be allowed in. The trigger in an unconverted saiga sits an extra 2 inches back. Instead of a standard 3 piece trigger, they have split the trigger and seer into two pieces and use a linkage plate between them. Notice the two guns in the photo by photoshooter. the saiga's trigger is sitting farther toward the rear. When converting you are moving the trigger to the proper position as originally designed. It is a very easy process. Requires removing the sporting plate by removal of 3 rivets. Most new saigas have the receiver cuts required for easy drop in of a proper trigger. They are just covered by the sporter plate. You can look inside the receiver under the factory trigger system and see if the cuts are already in place.

here is a simple video on the conversion process. it so simple, it doesnt require audio. My conversion took less than 3 hours while i sat on my couch, watching tv.

Changing furniture is very easy also. It is usually just mounted with screws. Some of the other parts that would be needed to bring it closer to military spec would be a 90degree gas block with accessory lug, ak-74 front sight block with 24x1.5mm threads and bayo lug. these are sorta expensive parts that already are on the sgl 21. there is also the need for a 1000m rear sight leaf versus the saigas 300m RSL. A different gas tube with retainers for an upper handgaurd to be attached. You will also need a lower handgaurd retainer, which you can either buy a traditional one and have pressed on, or get one of the bolt together ones by dinzag. A bullet guide will also be needed to use mil-spec mags. Again, the SGL 21 has this already.

Edited by GregM1

Building up a saiga sporter can either be less expensive or more expensive than buying a SGL. It depends on what parts you use in your build up.

Also accualy doing the conversion can be as primitive or power tool heavy as you make it. People have done entire conversions with nothing more than a drill and a file. However access to a press, a dremil, a welder, blasting cabinet, paint guns ...ect can have a effect on the outcome of your saiga.

My x39 is about to be re-built, but in the condition you see in this pic I had spent about ~$300 including having it refinished, with 10-30 round mags(also duracoated to match) I got second hand furnature from the WTS section of this forum, mags were the copes "rusty" deal, and there was a sale going on for the red star arms FCG(I love a 2 stage trigger on a rifle). of course the original figure does not add in the cost of the weapon so total cost is currently in the range of a SGL(but i have more mags). Its currently torn down and I'm planning on putting a slant break on it soon.

P6220002.JPG

P6220001.JPG

That is a fine looking weapon,pretty close to what I have in mind for mine.

Quick question: If i buy an SGL then if i wanted to swap PGs or stocks in the future that would be super simple right since the holes are already drilled? Also, does anyone know if the SGL's come with a bullet guide installed? Thanks

That's a nice set up SpetsnazGRU, you've got it set up for co witness right?

Thanks! If by co-witness, you mean being able to aim using the iron sights through the scope, with the dot/reticle lined up with the top of the front post, then no. The scope is a Belarus manufactured version of the Russian military PK-AS red dot/black dot collimator and it sits offset a little bit to the left (standard Russian military way), allowing you to use the irons instead, if needed.

The other customizations I have on this rifle are:

1) Hogue AK Grip --> http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-292/Hogue-AK47-Saiga-monogrip/Detail

2) Krebs Enhanced AK Selector Lever --> http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-271/Krebs-Saiga-Ak47-Safety/Detail

3) CAA Vertical Grip --> http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-141/TACTICAL-VERTICAL-FOLDING-GRIP/Detail

4) Midwest Industries AK Quad Rail (came installed on this model of the gun)

5) Ergo Pressure Switch Mount --> http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-321/Ergo-Tactical-Pressure-Switch/Detail

6) CAA Rail Covers --> http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-43/FALCON-AR-dsh-15-RAIL-COVER/Detail

Quick question: If i buy an SGL then if i wanted to swap PGs or stocks in the future that would be super simple right since the holes are already drilled? Also, does anyone know if the SGL's come with a bullet guide installed? Thanks

Swaping PG would be as easy as one screw, and buttstock would only get complicated if you chose one that required removal of the tang. assuming your not going for that, its just 2 screws.

SGLs come with a bullet guide installed last i knew.

That is a fine looking weapon,pretty close to what I have in mind for mine.

Yeah,. Swapping the stocks, pistol grips or the hand guards are trivial matters. SGLs come with proper, military-style bullet guides and accept all standard AK mags.

Well that just about seals the deal for me! The only issue now is that I started to entertain the 5.45! I mean .14cents a round is hard to beat and although the gun is $80 more expensive and mags a bit more as well, but the ammo savings are very real.

I would probably take the muzzle break off and put on a flash hider, I've never shot 5.45 but I can't imagine it needs the reduced recoil?

Well that just about seals the deal for me! The only issue now is that I started to entertain the 5.45! I mean .14cents a round is hard to beat and although the gun is $80 more expensive and mags a bit more as well, but the ammo savings are very real.

I would probably take the muzzle break off and put on a flash hider, I've never shot 5.45 but I can't imagine it needs the reduced recoil?

5.45x39 mm is fun, low-recoil, cheap plinking and varmint round, which was designed for accurate burst fire, but not an appropriate choice for a semi-auto SHTF carbine, IMO. 7.62x39 mm is just more versatile; there are better ammo choices, it punches through cover better, doesn't get deflected by leafs and branches and is perfectly effective for <200 yards medium game hunting.