Bulgarian Folding Furniture on Saiga Possible?

If any of you have seen nutnfancy's 30 minute interview with the arsenal rep at shot show then you probably loved the folding stock they demonstrated on the Bulgarian SL106/7 (if you havent checked it out, look it up on you tube, it's a very good look at these guns).

I want to go Saiga not Bulgy but that US manufacture stock is not an option for the Saiga models. Does anyone have any info on weather the SL106/7 folding stocks would work/be easy to install on the SGL31/21?? They use a button release and locking system so I am wondering if the receivers have some mods also on the Bulgarian to accept them?

I'm hoping to make my next conversion a "Khyber-inspired" rifle and want to use the Bulgy folding stock as well. At this point I'm thinking that the DPH replica stock is probably the most practical solution. I don't think it's US made (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it won't count as a 922 compliant part but I'm not worried about that. It appears to use the same rear receiver block that I'm currently using for an Ace stock install so it should be easy to do and a tight fit. I haven't been able to find any info on this stock so I'm not sure about the quality but I'm willing to take a chance. DPH puts out some nice products.

In the past I've owned 2 different Saiga's built with folding stocks. The top one was built by Red Jacket Firearms and the bottom one was built by Elk River Tool and Die. As you can see, you have to cut the receiver in 3 different spots and add all of the folder hardware.

saigas-w-folders.jpg

In the past I've owned 2 different Saiga's built with folding stocks. The top one was built by Red Jacket Firearms and the bottom one was built by Elk River Tool and Die. As you can see, you have to cut the receiver in 3 different spots and add all of the folder hardware.

saigas-w-folders.jpg

+Y on the bottom one. Good job man! :super:

• Like 2

I wonder how much "the Y" really matters if one were to drill for and install a 3rd pin. I'm sure it makes a difference.. but how much of one?

The only AK's I've owned with "the Y" have been Romanian, (GP WASR 10/63 and Draco "pistol"). I really need to pick up another Draco soon, (returned the first one cause I'm an overly-critical bastard, and I needed the money for Arsenal's "AK Stimulus Sale" :D ).

I had two SGL-10's converted using the Arsenal folding stock sold by K-Var. I can tell you that the folding stocks look great when you receive them! The problem is when you go to have them installed it becomes obvious that K-Var is selling seconds (that they [Arsenal] won't use on their own weapons). They are a complete pain in the ass and marginally acceptable after taking too many hours to install. Do yourself a favor and buy one of the SLR107-FR rifles if you want a folding stock. I have a SLR107-FR and four SGL-10's with two of them converted using the K-Var [Arsenal] folding stocks. You don't want the headache IMHO. If I am wrong, contact me for purchase of one already done. :) They rattle and are not up to snuff but they are still great weapons if you install some rubber to conceal the rattle. Perhaps I am just too picky as I normally acquire much more definitive weapons. Just a word to the wise. No flames sent or needed.

I wonder how much "the Y" really matters if one were to drill for and install a 3rd pin. I'm sure it makes a difference.. but how much of one?

The second Y doesn't make any real difference, it's like wanting dimples for "correctness". Drilling it, on the other hand, is the difference between freedom and a 10 year paid vacation to Club Fed...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=41633

Sticky that thread!

Has a link to pookie's step by step instructions and layouts.

I followed those directions for my x39 and my S12(has +1 step).

If you want a folding stock the AK100 series is top of the line. If I couldn't have that trunnion setup the I'd just rather a fixed warsaw length.