My new .223 Restoral

Here it is, at least the first stage:

1) Tapco standard AK grip, square trunnion bullet guide, and pin retainer plate from Dinzag

2) Tapco G2 FCG and grip screw and nut from CSS

3) Tapco Saiga specific Galil Handguard (used gently, I got it for $40

4) Romanian push button side fold stock ($38 on gunbroker) with FSE Russian grenade launcher recoil pad (Yah, I know, 223 don't recoil, but I have a bad shoulder, and it will spread what little impulse there is around - besides, it lengthens the folding stock some)

5) Used steel Galil magazines from APEX $20 each.

6) Single point sling of my own make.

Saiga1-3.jpg

Custom things I did:

make a double heat shield inside the Galil handguard out of aluminum duct work. The other thing was to drill and tap the Tapco handguard retainer at the 8 o'clock position, and use a set screw in it to engage a dimple I drilled in the double thickness part of the barrel. This keeps the retainer from shifting forward under recoil, without having to over tighten it. The stock was used and had 50% finish, so I heated it on top of the wood stove to get the cosmolene off, dgreased all the way with lots of windex, and then heated it again and hit it with liquid cold blue. The heated metal sucked it in, then I rubbed it with oil. Looks 95% now.

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 3

I love the folder, did you look at any other similar options when purchasing it?

I want to add a folding stock to mine (all I've got now is a polymer Warsaw-length stock from K-VAR), but I'm not sure what type I want.

Do you notice any weight shift with the use of the more wire-y folders? I don't wanna pay $250 for an ACE skeleton and folding mechanism if I can get the same thing in a wire folder.

I have tried several folders through the years on various AKs. I like the East German or Romanian because they come straight back from the receiver and give some cheek weld. The push button Romanian is the best (that is what this one is), as it is slightly offset to the left when open to give even a better cheek weld, and are slightly heavier duty. The easiest way to tell the difference between the Romanian and East German lever style (only Romanian made push button ones) is that the shoulder piece on an East German is roughly triangular, where the Romanian has a curve inward on the forward top edge of the "triangle". The Polish Tantal style comes out of the rear of the receiver at a downward angle and do not give as good of a cheek weld at all. AMD65 stocks are no cheek weld at all. Classic and APEX have thew Romanians for around $42-45, but I think they are lever. AK103 style are great, but beyond my price range.

As for the Galil mags, other than one of Brian's Dinzag bullet guide kits (best $33 you can spend), I did no modifications. I have eight of the steels, and 5 fit reasonable tight, and three have about the same amount of wiggle as a standard AKM and metal mil-surp magazine. I have not shot it yet, but I fed 10 rounds through each magazine hand cycling the action (pull back hard and release) with zero malfunctions. ALL sit high enough for the bolt to grab plenty of the cartridge on either side, and Brian's guide makes sure they go right in.

I plan on getting a RAM ambidextrous speed catch from CSS, and may someday modify the standard AK handguard retainer and go with a wood forend and gas tube (I have have a complete set already). I like the Tapco Saiga Galil Handguard, though, as it has plenty of room for the double heatshield I fabricated. I did this before, and it works VERY well. Drilling and tapping the Tapco retainer was easy, as it is mild steel. The set screw I added engaging the dimple drilled in the barrel totally secures the retainer under recoil (which is the only problem that I feel the Galil Saiga HG has).

When I get a chance on a bright day, I will do some better daylight photos.

• Like 2

How hard to mod the Metal Glail mags to fit???

Got any closeups of the mags??? Crap I'd go 223 vs 5.45 if I can get those pretty METAL mags too.... wub.gif

APEX has them $20 each. I have 8, but think I may get a few more next payday if they have them.

• Like 1

Dang the upgrade bug bit me already. I was scrolling through pics of 223 Saigas and fell in love with Kvar plum! I always had black but the plum beckened me. I ordered a plum kvar set from Brian at Dinzag for a killer price for the 4 piece set. I have the gas tube and a retainer to modify already.

Guess I will sell the refinished Rommy folder and modified tapco Saiga Galil when it gets here. Pictures forthcoming. I see a 24mm FSB ang E German zigzag brake in my distant future!!!!

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

The set screw I added engaging the dimple drilled in the barrel totally secures the retainer under recoil (which is the only problem that I feel the Galil Saiga HG has).

Did you notice this problem with the Galil HG on the 7.62x39 that you used to have, or on your new .223? I was considering that handguard for my .223, and am thinking it might not be as big a deal with the recoil of the .223?

The set screw I added engaging the dimple drilled in the barrel totally secures the retainer under recoil (which is the only problem that I feel the Galil Saiga HG has).

Did you notice this problem with the Galil HG on the 7.62x39 that you used to have, or on your new .223? I was considering that handguard for my .223, and am thinking it might not be as big a deal with the recoil of the .223?

actually I had that problem on my first 223 but not the 7.62. On the first 223 I roughed up the inside of the clamp and the mating surface of the barrel to increase friction. This set screw is much better because you don't have to overtighten. If you want this one already modified with the set screw and a double heat shield I will sell it to you reasonable since I am switching to plum Kvar. PM me, Jim

• Like 1

Nice Build. Are you gonna complete the look with a IMI flash-hider? Maybe thread the barrel?

:smoke:

Thanks

Actually decided to go AK101ish. I have a set of KVar plum coming, have the gas tube and retainer, and willm eventually go with a 24mm FSB and zigzag brake.

Nice Build. Are you gonna complete the look with a IMI flash-hider? Maybe thread the barrel?

:smoke:

Thanks

Actually decided to go AK101ish. I have a set of KVar plum coming, have the gas tube and retainer, and willm eventually go with a 24mm FSB and zigzag brake.

Better yet! Post pictures when complete. :smoke:

Guess I will sell the refinished Rommy folder and modified tapco Saiga Galil when it gets here. Pictures forthcoming. I see a 24mm FSB ang E German zigzag brake in my distant future!!!!

Aww, I just sent the payment for the Romy folder you inspired me to buy. Otherwise I'd buy it from ya. :/

Aww, I just sent the payment for the Romy folder you inspired me to buy. Otherwise I'd buy it from ya. :/

I just could not resist the call of the "Plum"! It's a shame, I'd have given you a great a great package deal on both the stock and improved handguard!

I just could not resist the call of the "Plum"! It's a shame, I'd have given you a great a great package deal on both the stock and improved handguard!

You gonna go with a Hesse/Vulcan FSB or a Bulgarian?