• Ruger 10/22
    • Saiga 223

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A shotgun is by far your best close range weapon, but forget the slugs. Use shot. If you're an apartment dweller, birdshot, if not, then buckshot. A shotgun puts more lead on-target, with the associat

Im sorry but I didnt vote because there was not an option for worst poll ever. Srsly man come on.

really no offense bro....but are you on crack? I lost brain cells reading the first 2 lines. Serious man

Buckshot is an excellent choice for home defense, but not so much because you will be more likely to score a hit. At the close ranges we are talking about, buckshot patterns are very tight. An exception would be buckshot fired from something like a Taurus Judge. I used to have one of those, and shot spread so quickly that I wouldn't have wanted to shoot beyond about 5 yards with it.

I have a Magnum Judge with a 3' barrel and at 7 yards I get 7"-10" groups with 000 and 00 buck.

Both a .223 and a 20 ga have reliable stopping power for self defense. I dont think body armor is that relevant to your decision, not b/c it doesnt exist, but b/c a hit with either of those guns should cause the bg some serious contemplation, and if you keep shooting until the threat is "stopped", you can always adjust your aim, right? I think the main issues are: what are you most comfortable with and which would you rather defend against a jury? I am by no means claiming ANY expertise, this is just my 2cents. any gun can go through walls, so instead of modifying your gun/ammo choice to combat that problem and letting murphey play around, figure out your shooting lanes...? training>equiptment, right?

Buckshot is an excellent choice for home defense, but not so much because you will be more likely to score a hit. At the close ranges we are talking about, buckshot patterns are very tight. An exception would be buckshot fired from something like a Taurus Judge. I used to have one of those, and shot spread so quickly that I wouldn't have wanted to shoot beyond about 5 yards with it.

I have a Magnum Judge with a 3' barrel and at 7 yards I get 7"-10" groups with 000 and 00 buck.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to shoot much beyond 5 yards with one, but that's just me. Anyway, the Judge is probably a pretty good option for HD. I'm not knocking the gun at all, I like them.

You guys think a Saiga 12 is not going to be portrayed as an evil weapon to a jury? Expect to hear in court over and over again phrases like "based on the AK-47 action", "patterned after the AK-47", "AK-47 variant".

Good point in a civil suit. It wouldn't make any difference in a criminal trial. At least not in Texas. The question there is simply "were you justified in doing what you did." What you did it with wouldn't matter much unless it was illegal for you to have.

Have you ever patterned it with bird shot #6-#8?