I picked up the PSL yesterday. I ordered it from Centerfire. And I ordered the Dragunov stock and foregrip kit. I put the new stock and foregrip on last night. The upper grip was a PITA! It's a very cool looking gun now! The russian stock is just perfect for me. The work Centerfire did to get the stock kit put together is fantastic. The fit is great. I highly recommend it if you don't already have it.

I plan on getting the POSP Dragunov 4-12x scope for it. And I think I want a bipod. I'm not sure which to get though. Any recommendations?

Any suggestions on where to mount the bipod?

I also would like to get a stronger recoil spring so the rifle can tolerate rounds larger than 150gr. As far as I can tell, I would need to get one custom made at a machine shop. Does anyone know where I could just buy one?

Traditional bipods mount to the front of the receiver. Not sure how available those are, but if you want to be authentic, that's the way to go.

As for shooting heavy ball, don't bother unless you change the gas system. Save your the heavy ball for your Mosins :)

That's a good page. I didn't know the lighter rounds were better for longer range. I was going to get some wolf gold in 148gr for my first shoot.

So the bolt gets torn up from the heavier round? I thought the frame got banged apart from the piston assembly wailing on it with heavy loads.

Yes, The frame ( rear trunnion) will get banged up as well.

Light ball ammo is plentiful enough... no need to run the heavy ball through a rifle that was never designed to fire it...

If you think you gotta have heavy ball for "hunting loads" it might be time to consider reloading for it... theres a lot of hunting bullets in the proper weight range available... And you still wont damage anything, as you are shooting proper weight bullets...

:smoke:

I like authentic. What bipod and how would it be fixed the the receiver?

Drag bipods clamp to the receiver, engaging grooves on the flat sides. PSL receivers won't accept them without major mods, but it can be done.

svdbipod002.jpg

Alternatively, you can drill and tap the bottom of your receiver in front of the magwell, add a sling swivel stud, and use any "normal" bipod you like.

acebutt006.jpg

Congrats on your PSL I love mine. Like it was said above stay away from anything over 150gr. If the surplus ever dries up and we are left with the heavier commercial stuff there is a company that sells a gas regulator which can be adjusted to fire the heavier stuff but it is ugly as sin. Since you have the synthetic forearm on your rifle you can pick up a harris adapter that will fit in the slotted spot on your bottom handguard and will allow the attachment of a stud for the bi-pod.

Is this it?

http://www.shop.dezarms.com/product.sc?productId=29&categoryId=5

It is pretty fugly. I guess it is an adjustable air passage that lets more gas out. I suppose one could tap a hole in the original part and fit a small bolt in it for light loads and take it out for heavy loads.

I still think recoil could be reduced a bit more with the 150gr loads with a stronger recoil spring.

With that gas sytem you can adjust the gas so that the bolt doesnt even cycle to the rear. With a heavier round it stays in the barrel longer building up pressure. By releasing the pressure you alleviate the stress put on the bolt and rear trunion by allowing that built up pressure caused by gasses to be released. So you could eliminate a huge amount of stress and wear on the rifle with this part if you can live with the looks.

• 4 months later...

I had no luck with mounting a harris bipod on the original wood lower forearm. This negatively affected my groups. I'm going to do a Verapod mount on the receiver. A Harris mount on the receiver is a lot of hardware in a little space.

Rather than jumping through hoops to adapt the rifle to heavy ball, get Priv Partizan light ball SP for hunting.