Barrel shortening and muzzel device

I know I've seen this topic discussed in different threads, but have never seen solid answers. What I'd like to do is shorten my 19" S-12 to let's say 15.1", and permenantly attach a 3" muzzle device.

My concerns are:

-How tough is it to cut a chrome lined barrel without screwing it up?

-What's the best way to permenantly attach a muzzel device so it counts toward the necessary 18"

-Will the 4" loss of barrel length cause any gas problems? The guy cycles everything now, but I would imagine gas pressures will be negatively impacted by reducing barrel length.

-I know the barrel is tapered. Will the width 4" down be too wide to accept standard muzzel devices (i.e. will I have to widen the opening on the device my a significant amount to get it to fit on that section of barrel). I know most muzzel devices are threadded...I can deal with that, but don'w want to compromse the integrity of the device itself by opening it up too much.

Anyone have any thoughts, or been down this path?

The barrel is pretty much straight back to the gas block.

Going that short will definately require gas port mods in order to get the gun to work.

I don't usually bother with threading the barrel. I cut the device to fit with tapping it on, and blind pin it. Either 2, 3, or 4 pins, depending on the pin diameter. Personally, I drill and bottom tap the holes, and use gun screws or scope base screws, bottoming them out tightly in the holes, cutting them off flush and welding them in, then dressing down the surface smooth.

This method leaves the barrel at full thickness, and allows the most depth of pin engagement, for maximum retention.

If the barrel bore is way off center, I'll skim it down just enough to true it, also provided the device being installed has a tight bore and needs to be well centered.

So long as the barrel is still attached to the receiver, the instant you cut it less than 18" (even if for a minute), you're breaking the law. So my advice would be to remove the barrel first, or have a properly licensed NFA gunsmith shorten it, then have them attach the break.

Once it's all finished, it will be impossible to tell which method was used (as far as I know). But during the time when the barrel is short, it needs to be removed from the receiver to be legal.

Corbin

All I really want to impart to you is this: it's a felony.

So long as the barrel is still attached to the receiver, the instant you cut it less than 18" (even if for a minute), you're breaking the law. So my advice would be to remove the barrel first, or have a properly licensed NFA gunsmith shorten it, then have them attach the break.

I know what everyone is saying and appreciate the warning. Let's assume that if I were to do it myself, I'd remove the barrel before I started cutting.

I think my biggest concern if I were to undertake this project would be with the gas system. I've read through the SBS technical thread in the NFA section (again, thanks for your post BobAsh...lot's of good info there) and found this tidbit:

I don't like to go below 16", without moving the gas block rearward. The factory gas ports are about .073". I would re-drill them .101" and angle them WAY back, so you have a bit of "trough" rather then a straight-in hole. There is no magic with the gas ports, you can drill them as large as you want, but the trade off is increased wad fouling in the manifold, so you will have to clean it more often. On the Tromix 8" guns, the four gas ports remain at the factory .073" size and still cycle light loads without a problem. Moving the gas system rearward is a lot of work, and not really necessary in your case, unless you want to shoot birdshot type loads.

I don't know what the text of the original thread was, but I'm assuming the sentiment is I could go to 15.1", open up my three ports to .101 and leave the gas block in the stock position?

On second thought, this may be a lot of work for little return...

It could be a lot of work. It would be how you want it, but it could be a lot of work.

I've heard of folks using a choke to increase back pressure on shorter guns, but honestly, I don't know if that works well or if it's just speculation. I have no experience with that personally, so I'd suggest researching threads to see if that makes much difference or not.

The other option could be to have one of the business members here open up your ports and attach your muzzle device for you. If they have a Class 2 license, they won't have to remove your barrel. Otherwise, they would. No idea what that would cost you to have done, but I'd be interested in knowing personally because I think it would be nice to have a polychoke on a barrel with an OAL of 18.5". They'd have to measure to the end of the non-removeable section of the choke, but whatever.

Good luck

Corbin

• Like 1

If you want to do this legal like, you cant be in possession of the gun and the barrel, if the barrel is shorter than 18in.

You cannot cut this down yourself without breaking some law, even if its just constructive possession of a SBS.

You may as well just register it as a SBS, or mail it in.

If you dont want the ability to shoot low brass cheap birdshot, your gun will still cycle with Highbrass ammo and stock .073 gas ports with a 15in barrel. It would still cycle shorter.

Edited by mike123456

Anyone have any thoughts, or been down this path?

All I really want to impart to you is this: it's a felony.

Only if he leaves the barrel in the receiver. Press it out, cut, blind pin the muzzle device, then reinstall it. No felony.

• Like 1