Bullet guide = Perfect!

So, my Saiga 7.62x39 was a jam machine without the bullet guide, now it is flawless with my garage install of the bullet guide, and the use of steel magazines. I am happy as a Clam(I hear they are pretty happy)! I just don't get why my rifle chambered in the original caliber of this design did not function properly from the "get-go"??? Is my rifle some sort of "Vodka special" or weirdo?? Do they all do that?

I like the lower prices of new ones and will probably get another. Obviously it is minimal fix time and cost to put the bullet guide in but as some can admit, it can be intimidating the first time.

Just curious.

Due to a number of import regulations, as well as manufacturing cost reduction, many changes are made to an AK to make it a Saiga.

Bullet guide falls under an import thing. In order to make a Saiga incapable of accepting military style magazines two things are done. First a longer magazine catch is used so a typical AK military mag will not insert properly. Second, the feed ramp is never installed so that the gun will not feed reliably with military magazines.

Saiga magazines have the feed ramp on the magazine itself, as opposed to AK magazines, which count on a feed ramp being in the gun.

Mine did not have any factory mag so after a home restoration It was feeding off of a surefie and a promag. edit..or NOT feeding as the case may be... Wow... "Case" get it ????

Edited by RobRez

Surefire/ProMag Saiga mags are different than ProMag AK mags in that they have a feed ramp on the front of the magazine (it's that tab poking up) and the rear catch is much thinner so that it will insert and feed in a Saiga. GImme a minute I will find you pictures to compare. A Saiga magazine and an AK magazine are not the same thing.

Here's an AK mag, notice how the front is different than your SGM Saiga magazine

post-21696-12680352848642_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Nice photo. Thanks. I tell ya, I sure like the feel of the steel mags, all be they heavy. Is it safe now to file down my mag release tab to have more "tolerence" or will that drop the rear of the cartridge, which SEEMED to contribute to the jamming? I have filed the tab on my steel mags.

Edited by RobRez

You can file the tabs to make them fit, but if you plan on getting a whole bunch of magazines, it's better to file the mag catch. Due to tolerance differences between magazines, it is best to get a bunch of magazines that you will use, like 5-10, file a little off the catch, try them all and see how they fit. Some may be tighter than others. Just file and try over and over again with all of them till it is about right where you want it. The beauty of the AK is that you can guesstimate a whole bunch of things and the rifle will still work 100%

I got a dozen steel mags ans most fit nice and snug, the others needed to be filed down to enable easy removal. Now they arre all "Snug as a bug in a rug", but I think of SHTF things where I need a random mag to fit in my rifle. I like the custom tight fit I have and don't want to lose that.

I filed my mag catch down and installed the bullet guide. I wasn't happy with the quality or price of the aftermarket Saiga mags. I've been running Tapco AK mags ever since.

By after market mags if you mean ak steel mags you arent using the right one man. I would take steel ak mags over any mag any day. Im not dissing the tapcos I have a few, the surefires are good too, have a few of those. But you get some good quality steel mags and you just can not beat them hands down.

I filed my mag catch down and installed the bullet guide. I wasn't happy with the quality or price of the aftermarket Saiga mags. I've been running Tapco AK mags ever since.

By after market mags if you mean ak steel mags you arent using the right one man. I would take steel ak mags over any mag any day. Im not dissing the tapcos I have a few, the surefires are good too, have a few of those. But you get some good quality steel mags and you just can not beat them hands down.

Yeah, I need to get some steel mags. I'd like to buy them in person so I can inspect them when I buy them. I don't want to buy a bunch of mags online and have them show up to my house with a bunch of dents in them. Kinda why I've been using Tapco mags.

Yeah, I need to get some steel mags. I'd like to buy them in person so I can inspect them when I buy them. I don't want to buy a bunch of mags online and have them show up to my house with a bunch of dents in them. Kinda why I've been using Tapco mags.

Aim has great customer service. I had 3 of the 16 that I got from them that wouldn't fit or had rusted followers(to the point they wouldn't move with a hammer) and they shipped 3 new ones out to me the day I called them.

Aim has great customer service. I had 3 of the 16 that I got from them that wouldn't fit or had rusted followers(to the point they wouldn't move with a hammer) and they shipped 3 new ones out to me the day I called them.

Yep if you deal with vendors who have a great rep you have nothing to worry about. Other than that, just ask around. They do make new production steel mags too, you arent limited to used ones. I for one have had great experiences with the bulgy steel mags. They lock down rock solid not a bit of fitting ever needed out of the 20 I have purchased. Prolly my favorite so far as far as fit and performance goes for new production steel mags. Im sure you can find lots of personal reviews on other steel mags too. Just my 2cent :smoke: