Allllllllll of my friends finally talked me into an AR. At the very least I built this from the ground up. Going to Usery Pass today to test fire/sight it in. All I have left really are rail panels.

LMT Upper(Barrel, Upper, and BCG)

Firebird Precision Lower.

RRA Parts kit.

Vltor E-Mod Stock

Daniel Defense LITE Rail, which they really mean light, goddamn!

ERGO Grip

SANY0041.JPG

Edited by camon

Very nice looking rifle! I had a blast building mine, although I didn't put as much into it as you did. Really like your handguard. Maybe some day for me. As for the BAD, I took mine off. I didn't like how much horizontal pressure it was placing on the bolt catch, but just my opinion. Have fun and again, great looking rifle there!

Congrats and huge props for going with quality parts! I cringe when I see those "I got my first AR!" threads......and they got the shittiest quality AR you can buy, simply because it was cheap. Those are the guys who will come back in a month and say "I hate AR's!!"...........because they bought a POS.

Your setup looks real nice. :super:

As for the sight.........it works either way. It might look a little awkward, but it's doing the same thing. Like I said in another thread, some guys who run their support hand way out near the front sight, find that those detachables with the big knob (like LMT's detachable fixed front sight) get in the way of their thumb, when the front sight is mounted "correctly" and the knob is on the left. So they just flip them, like how yours is setup.

Really like your handguard. Maybe some day for me.

If you want an great quality rail, without spending a ton, and free-float is not a concern.........check out Troy's MRF-DI models. They are 2-piece direct drop-in rails. They install just like regular plastic handguards (no need to remove the delta ring or anything else) and lock up real tight. They have them in 7" for carbines and 9" for mid-lengths (they might even have a 12" rifle length by now, I'm not sure). I had a 7" on my carbine upper and loved it. It's only gone, because it went with the upper when I sold it. I now have one on my mid-length, and love it too. Last I checked, the 7" was only $140, and the 9" was about $170 (I think). These are NIB prices.

For those not in need of free-float rail and are on a budget, these are the best option, IMO.

Thanks guys. Yea I flipped the sight already lol. When I put those on I had been up for close to 30 hours.

I took it out to Usery Pass here in Phoenix. Shoots great. Put about 200 rounds down it with no malfunctions or any other issues. Got it sighted in pretty well @ 100yards and had no problem hitting a 10" diameter target(I've only been shooting less than a year).

Very nice looking rifle! I had a blast building mine, although I didn't put as much into it as you did. Really like your handguard. Maybe some day for me. As for the BAD, I took mine off. I didn't like how much horizontal pressure it was placing on the bolt catch, but just my opinion. Have fun and again, great looking rifle there!

Yea, I considered the BAD, but its easy to just smack the bolt catch on my way to the forend.

Nice looking one how does that rail mount up looks like it has a coupler at the front of the reciever end

It has a rear receiver plate that freely spins in place, followed by a proprietary barrel nut. Then you just screw the forend into the receiver plate and tighten it down into place. The barrel nut sits lower than the gas hole so it removes that annoying task of having to line the nut up to the hole. I heavily suggest this rail. A can of soda weighs more than it!

Congrats and huge props for going with quality parts! I cringe when I see those "I got my first AR!" threads......and they got the shittiest quality AR you can buy, simply because it was cheap. Those are the guys who will come back in a month and say "I hate AR's!!"...........because they bought a POS.

Thanks, I did TONS of research on parts and shot all sorts of rifles. It was a tossup between LMT, LWRC, or Noveske. I went with LMT based on friend recommendations.

Buying the lower shelf rifle was tempting, but the way I thought about it I could spend the extra money and get a top shelf AR with the parts I want and not have to incur a higher cost later.

If you want an great quality rail, without spending a ton, and free-float is not a concern.........check out Troy's MRF-DI models. They are 2-piece direct drop-in rails. They install just like regular plastic handguards (no need to remove the delta ring or anything else) and lock up real tight. They have them in 7" for carbines and 9" for mid-lengths (they might even have a 12" rifle length by now, I'm not sure). I had a 7" on my carbine upper and loved it. It's only gone, because it went with the upper when I sold it. I now have one on my mid-length, and love it too. Last I checked, the 7" was only $140, and the 9" was about $170 (I think). These are NIB prices.

For those not in need of free-float rail and are on a budget, these are the best option, IMO.

+1 on the troy rails. If you like tube-style forends I also suggest the Viking Tactics forend. It's made by troy and is modular.

Edited by camon

Your setup looks real nice. :super:

As for the sight.........it works either way. It might look a little awkward, but it's doing the same thing. Like I said in another thread, some guys who run their support hand way out near the front sight, find that those detachables with the big knob (like LMT's detachable fixed front sight) get in the way of their thumb, when the front sight is mounted "correctly" and the knob is on the left. So they just flip them, like how yours is setup.

Really like your handguard. Maybe some day for me.

I am an exception to that rule Shoot, I got an AR for 700 bucks and it's been nothing but a dream. My Saiga has malfunctioned more... :cryss:, then again I keep it cleaner than my butt!!! :osama:

• 1 month later...

I too just joined the darkside. Went with a .450Bushmaster upper, bought it while it was on sale for $499! I also got a complete Sharps lower for $189 at the gunshow last weekend. I still need to get a scope or at least some iron sites. The rifle is just bare bones right now. I will upgrade it slowly as money allows. I heard some people say to avoid the Sharps lower but it's actually not bad. The only issue was the mag catch opening was at a slight cant which doesn't affect the function at all. It mated up nice and tight to the upper. The trigger isn't too bad either looks to be stainless.

100_0768.jpg100_0766.jpg

Edited by obake

I've got a bunch of ARs in my safe, several "flavors," but since going to "this side" with a Saiga 5.45x39, I've just ordered my third gun in that caliber, a S&W upper. I'm going to swap it out with a 5.56 on a Rock River M4 until I decide that it needs its own lower (which happens every time I buy a new upper). Should be here next week and I can't wait to see how 7n6 5.45x39 shoots out of an AR platform!