Side folder mechanism and Ace Recoil pad

Anyone have an opinion about which stock folding mechanism is best and why! I am starting to plan my next build and I wanted to do a folding stock. Also anyone have experience with the ace recoil pad? I have always liked that DPH stock but after shooting my CAA stock my next build needs to have a recoil pad that works. I tried a Tromix stock with the limbsaver and it was pure heaven, but I was hoping to use the DPH.

NineRider,

I'm using the 8.5 inch Ace folder with their 1 inch recoil pad on my S-12. I have it mounted on the Ace Push-Button Folding Mechanism on an internal receiver block. The folding mech wobbles slightly - a problem that I've heard the non push button folders don't usually have (I may be wrong about this though). I don't mind the wobble because it's very slight and a tight stock/shoulder weld makes it unnoticeable.

As for the recoil pad, I guess it works pretty well. I've put 600 or so rounds through this rig and have never come home from the range with a sore shoulder. I do get a very distinct track-shaped "tattoo" from the pad, but it usually fades within a day.

9026_100657399954328_100000302059157_17340_8086036_n.jpg

Regards,

Sapper

Anyone have an opinion about which stock folding mechanism is best and why! I am starting to plan my next build and I wanted to do a folding stock. Also anyone have experience with the ace recoil pad? I have always liked that DPH stock but after shooting my CAA stock my next build needs to have a recoil pad that works. I tried a Tromix stock with the limbsaver and it was pure heaven, but I was hoping to use the DPH.

The Ace 1" pad is the closest in recoil reduction to the Tromix Limbsaver and fits the DPH stock perfect..

I use the Ace 1" pad on a DPH and it works great. Ive put as much as 3-400 rnds through my S12 in one sitting, and no sore shoulder that I can recall.

I also have the standard ACE side folding mechanism, the non push button version. It locks up solid with no wobble, And it is not hard to open or close once you get the hang of it. I would always place my thumb on the rear of the top cover for leverage and wrap my fingers around to the bottom of the stock with my middle finger pressing up on the hinge assembly, and the stock will open. Same for closing. Its really simple, and the way I explained it is probably confusing as hell, but seriously, it is not hard to open in a pinch if need be and definitely beats the wobble from the push button model and the price.

NineRider,

I'm using the 8.5 inch Ace folder with their 1 inch recoil pad on my S-12. I have it mounted on the Ace Push-Button Folding Mechanism on an internal receiver block. The folding mech wobbles slightly - a problem that I've heard the non push button folders don't usually have (I may be wrong about this though). I don't mind the wobble because it's very slight and a tight stock/shoulder weld makes it unnoticeable.

As for the recoil pad, I guess it works pretty well. I've put 600 or so rounds through this rig and have never come home from the range with a sore shoulder. I do get a very distinct track-shaped "tattoo" from the pad, but it usually fades within a day.

9026_100657399954328_100000302059157_17340_8086036_n.jpg

Regards,

Sapper

Thanks Sapper, you answered my question and cleared up another about the folding mechanism. My CAA stock leaves me with a bruised shoulder evey time I shoot it. Nice stick BTW!

The Ace 1" pad is the closest in recoil reduction to the Tromix Limbsaver and fits the DPH stock perfect..

Off the beaten path, but do you know of a recoil pad that would work on that CAA stock?

I use the Ace 1" pad on a DPH and it works great. Ive put as much as 3-400 rnds through my S12 in one sitting, and no sore shoulder that I can recall.

I also have the standard ACE side folding mechanism, the non push button version. It locks up solid with no wobble, And it is not hard to open or close once you get the hang of it. I would always place my thumb on the rear of the top cover for leverage and wrap my fingers around to the bottom of the stock with my middle finger pressing up on the hinge assembly, and the stock will open. Same for closing. Its really simple, and the way I explained it is probably confusing as hell, but seriously, it is not hard to open in a pinch if need be and definitely beats the wobble from the push button model and the price.

Thanks, I got what you are describing and that's probably the way I will go. It sounds much like the 3x magnifier mount on my AR15. Got any pics of the DPH mounted up?

how u like the XCR?

for me it was between that and the sig556, got the 556. I like it alot.

I love the XCR. Sold a Sig 556 SWAT to buy it. I didnt care for the Sig. The fit and finish was poor, reliability was poor out of the box, trigger was spongy, not what I expected from Sig in terms of quality control. Im not knocking all of Sig's products, as I have owned a P226R and I now own a P238 for my concealed carry pocket pistol. Both were/are outstanding.

My XCR has been flawless out of the box, I love the left side charging handle, the ease of dissassembly, the oversized internal parts (similar to an AK), the ergonomics, and especially the customer service. Alex constantly upgrades the platform from listening to customers wants and needs. They also have Terra, who is a god-send to their company. She will do everything she can to help a customer who might be having problems. They are still a small company, but even though they have ramped up production and sales, they have not raised the price due to popularity, only because of upgraded parts. They are a top-notch company with a top-notch product.

Please dont think that I am dissing your choice of rifle. I am just relating my experience. More than likely they have worked out the kinks and top notch. I think I just had a bad apple as I had one of the first out of production, Serial # was barely in the thousands.

I'm new to Saiga shotguns, I'm hoping to get an S-12 tomorrow. What handguard is that on Sapper's on the prayer rug?

I'm new to Saiga shotguns, I'm hoping to get an S-12 tomorrow. What handguard is that on Sapper's on the prayer rug?

BigBob,

That handguard is the DPH Tri Rail. It's aluminum, very light and solid as a rock. Carolina Shooter's Supply carries it (DPH Tri Rail).

Regards,

Sapper

• 5 months later...

NineRider,

Regards,

Sapper

I am having this problem on a push-button mechanism I just installed last night on my x39, do ALL the push-buttons really have the slight wiggle or wobble? It DOES bother me, I have tried to adjust it out w the set screw, but no luck....

NineRider,

Regards,

Sapper

I am having this problem on a push-button mechanism I just installed last night on my x39, do ALL the push-buttons really have the slight wiggle or wobble? It DOES bother me, I have tried to adjust it out w the set screw, but no luck....

Anytime you have moving parts there is some movement. A little wobble at the receiver seems much worse when you are grabbing the end of the stock and twisting it.

Magpuls, Vltors and any stock that can move or fold are going to have some play. Most people it does not bother, some it does.

The only thing as rigid as a fixed stock is a fixed stock.

i have a tromix stock.i wonder why their limbsaver pad is so exspensive?

He hand fits/grinds it to fit he tromix stock exactly.

....quality product, plus "quality" time is money.

It does seem expensive but I dont recall seeing/hearing anyone saying they wish they had not made the purchase.

Cheers,

Harv

If you do not fire birdshot, the Ace pad is excellent. If you do fire birdshot, leave the Ace at home. It is so bouncy feeling that it gives the weapon and odd feeling rythm under rapid fire. It also tends to absorb some of the recoil that would be better suited cycling the weapon. I gave mine away and I'll just deal with the pain should I ever buy 3" slugs or buckshot in bulk.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

This is more of an FYI for people contemplating cutting off their tang.

Cut the tang off my Saiga 7.62 in the hopes of using an ACE sidefolder setup which I heard was rock solid.

I bought the Ace A500PB with the pushbutton. Almost $100 from Midway. As soon as I got it, I thought it was a tiny bit sloppy, but thought it a compromise since it was a folder.

The design looked flawed and had an adjustment screw that corrected the slop.

Well, over time it appears that the hardened set screw has warn it's way ..056" of the way deep into the other side of the folder. I keep adjusting it, but now the stock is 20 degrees off when the stock is in the shouldered position. I'm disappointed, but knowing that it's a US gun part, the manufacturer will stand by it.

So I email Ace last Wednesday. I include a model number and Tim's secretary emails me back the following day asking me some qualifying questions about the folder. I answer her questions within minutes of receiving the email, but don't get a response until the next day. Once again I get an email from Tiffany stating that the model is defective and they have a newer version. She doesn't tell me if they will replace it or anything else. That response was Thursday. I emailed her back immediately asking if they would replace it and no email as of yet.

First couple of posters were right, Tim (boss) was out of town. Man, I'm really impatient .

Kind of disappointed in the part and even more disappointed that is has been 3 business days of correspondence and I don't know if they cover it or not. I almost feel like returning it to Midway, even though I bought it a year ago. I might want to have the tang re-welded back on. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore.

I want to vent to you guys and set up some info on the web for other guys before they cut off their tang to put on one of the few options out there for a sidefolder.

I'll keep you posted if they rectify the situation.

**************** UPDATE ***************************

Email from Tiffany to me:

"Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately with it being a year and a half since you purchased the folding stock mechanism we will not be able pay for the shipping to us or the shipping back to you. In most cases if it has been over 30 days since you purchased the product we will not exchange it, unless it is a warranty issue. The mailing address you will need to send the FSM-PB to is:"

I think that this is absolute garbage. This piece of crap was $100 bucks and now I have to spend $15 to get a new one, that'll probably be a piece of crap after a year, too.

I'm going to send it back to Midway for credit on my account. Unbelievable.

There is nothing really wrong with the ACE recoil pad, though I think it is better suited for a rifle. I fire a lot of 3" magnums through my S-12, and I wanted a bigger, softer pad, so I built my own stock out of chrome moly and made it to fit a slip-on Limbsaver that is made for the AR. I'm currently using it with the CSS push-button hinge mechanism.