Yay ! It's threaded.

Congrats does your saiga have a chamber step?

I just threaded mine lastnight date here is 1-29-09 mine has a step in chamber my brother bought one

from same gun store his is 03/09 date no step and he had threads under the shroud.

No I don't have a stepped chamber.

So it looks as if all the later 09's are coming with all the goodies? I am heading to the So Fla Gun Show tomorrow to try and find one of these gems.

Not so fast. I have a March '09 and it has all the goodies except a threaded barrel. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why some rifles have threads and the others don't. As the old knight said, "Choose wisely."

Well I just got the dremel out and was lucky. I found threads !

IMG_0761.jpg

Here's a better picture.

IMG_0763.jpg

I'm about to cut my shroud on my March 09 7.62x39,I'm pretty sure I have threads, it came with every other good thing, (PG hole, dimples, etc.) I have a Dremel, what is the best dremel bit to use for this? one of the fiber wheels, or?

Folks here always say use the Dremel, but forget to tell us which cutting wheel or bit will work best...

thanks.

Well I just got the dremel out and was lucky. I found threads !

IMG_0761.jpg

Here's a better picture.

IMG_0763.jpg

I'm about to cut my shroud on my March 09 7.62x39,I'm pretty sure I have threads, it came with every other good thing, (PG hole, dimples, etc.) I have a Dremel, what is the best dremel bit to use for this? one of the fiber wheels, or?

Folks here always say use the Dremel, but forget to tell us which cutting wheel or bit will work best...

thanks.

I used one of the fiber wheels. Just took it slow and easy till I could see a crack all the way around, then broke it off with channel locks.

I surely hate to sound like an old grump, but has anyone with a 7.62x39 that has a factory threaded barrel considered the 922r count? I am not an expert, but the count for a Saiga-12 with choke threaded barrel counts one more than the same shotgun without threads. Is this the same situation with the rifle? Because if it is, that means one more item to correct for a 922r legal rifle. Anyone?

A US made MB (I don't use a flash hider) doesn't count, as it doesn't replace a foreign part (same as a pistol grip doesn't count against foreign parts). The threads are another matter - when physically covered (shroud), no issue, but once exposed, I consider the threads raise the Saiga 7.62x39 to 15 (not 14) foreign parts - but I don't really know that for a fact. The BATFE being who and what they are, I do want to be "safe", not sorry.

A US made MB (I don't use a flash hider) doesn't count, as it doesn't replace a foreign part (same as a pistol grip doesn't count against foreign parts). The threads are another matter - when physically covered (shroud), no issue, but once exposed, I consider the threads raise the Saiga 7.62x39 to 15 (not 14) foreign parts - but I don't really know that for a fact. The BATFE being who and what they are, I do want to be "safe", not sorry.

I would think the barrel is the foriegn part, whether it is threaded or not. Why would threading be a seperate part when it is just a factory-produced mod to the barrel?

Another way to look at it would be to consider the shroud itself a foriegn-made part. You are removing that, and replacing with an US made flash hider or muzzle brake, wouldnt that help the 922r count?

Just my 2 cents..

Edited by icefire

I don't know the answer, just looking for someone that does. I'm going by the Saiga-12 922r foreign parts count, where the theaded barrel (for a choke, not the choke itself) counts as an extra foreign part, where the unthreaded barrel does not. Sounds goofy, but then, the whole idea is goofy - as though a U.S. stamp on a part somehow makes an operational difference. My concern is that none of us get caught in a legal hassle over something as dumb as a threaded v. non-threaded barrel. I guess we need a lawyer to chime in, with some legal expertise.

i guess the only way they (BATFE) would know if your barrel is threaded would be if you had the shroud removed, and if you have the shroud removed you'll most likely have a US muzzle device, so i dont see how it would be an issue. besides i think most people who convert their rifles are over the legal requirements anyway, having 3 US parts in the FCG, plus the stock and handguard.

I have a 3/09 also, and it has all the same good stuff. Pretty certain it has threads. I can slip a feeler under the shroud and catch the first thread pretty good. Now that I see others in this production that do in fact have threads, I think I am going to grab the dremmel! 5/8" it is from what I understand.

OK. Compelled by evil Saiga forum to get dremmel out. Removed 5/8" of shroud and confirmed threaded barrel. Went easier than I thought it would. Dremmel is the way to go for sure. Go slow and when the base material gets super thin and cracks just begin to show under the cut in a few places, just twist a little with a vice grip or channel lock. I actually got the material so thin all around (without touching the barrel underneath), it took almost no energy to twist the end of the shroud off. Start to finish was about 30 minutes of work including clean up and touch up paint. Ready for MB now (yet another part to buy)!

Can't say for sure that any certain batches of Saigas all have the goodies, but so far it seems the March 09 batch came with dimples, threads and proper trigger/pg holes for conversion. Have not checked the chamber, but not expecting anything there.

Got mine from Classic Arms about 2 weeks ago, by the way. Still unconverted (have to pay for some ammo first).

Edited by centerline

Cut 5/8" off the shroud from the muzzle good luck hope you find threads.

No thread joy. And as it turns out, the flash suppressor I want to use has a thread depth of .425--which I found out this morning via a tech email from Brownell's. However, I cut off .625 of the shroud, which means I need to reduce the barrel length of a little over 3/16" if I want the flash suppressor to contact the remaining part of the shroud. That would leave me with a barrel length of 16.1"...still legal, and it gives me a chance to clean up the crown. I shouldn't have been so impatient.

In addition to the lack of threads, I my rifle doesn't have a grip hole, either, but I do have dimples and what I really didn't want, the step in the chamber.

Per the documentation that came with the rifle, mine was made in January of 2009.

No thread joy. And as it turns out, the flash suppressor I want to use has a thread depth of .425--which I found out this morning via a tech email from Brownell's. However, I cut off .625 of the shroud, which means I need to reduce the barrel length of a little over 3/16" if I want the flash suppressor to contact the remaining part of the shroud. That would leave me with a barrel length of 16.1"...still legal, and it gives me a chance to clean up the crown. I shouldn't have been so impatient.

In addition to the lack of threads, I my rifle doesn't have a grip hole, either, but I do have dimples and what I really didn't want, the step in the chamber.

Per the documentation that came with the rifle, mine was made in January of 2009.

I have read about people using the original cut-off piece of the shroud to create a spacer that adjust for this situation. I kept mine just in case. Not too picky about suppressor types though as long as they work (translation... cheap but effective, ugly is OK).

I have read about people using the original cut-off piece of the shroud to create a spacer that adjust for this situation. I kept mine just in case. Not too picky about suppressor types though as long as they work (translation... cheap but effective, ugly is OK).

Sorry to hear there's no threads palouse what brake are you wanting to use?

They sell crush washers to put behind the MB or use spacer to make one out of like centerline sugested. You can also get the 14mm id to 24mm od adapter and use the OE style ak 74 mb.

I rented a die to thread my barrel mine also wasn't threaded I threaded almost to the fsb my mb is about 1/16 away from the sight.

Grats centerline on finding threads have to show us when you get a MB on her!

Edited by Naear

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just re-read my post, and I sound like a whiner, so just to be clear, I still love my rifle. Cutting threads isn't a big deal, really. I am a bit irritated by the chamber step, but I'll get over it.

I've decided that cutting the barrel is a bad idea since the barrel is chrome lined. Midway USA has an instructional video on YouTube on how to cut and recrown a barrel, and of course, they make it look easy. In the comments section, however, there's a post by some poor bastard who learned the hard way that watching Larry Potterfield cutting and recrowning the barrel on an old Winchester 22 is different than doing so on his SCAR with a chrome-lined barrel in his garage. Expensive mistake.

I would be happy to use the part of the shroud that came off, but it's pretty buggered up after my efforts on it with channel locks. I'll just add a crush washer if I can find one. Otherwise, oh well; I didn't buy the Saiga because it looks pretty. That's what my shotguns are for.

ETA: The flash hider I plan to use is a Smith Enterprises Vortex.

Edited by Palouse

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just re-read my post, and I sound like a whiner, so just to be clear, I still love my rifle. Cutting threads isn't a big deal, really. I am a bit irritated by the chamber step, but I'll get over it.

I've decided that cutting the barrel is a bad idea since the barrel is chrome lined. Midway USA has an instructional video on YouTube on how to cut and recrown a barrel, and of course, they make it look easy. In the comments section, however, there's a post by some poor bastard who learned the hard way that watching Larry Potterfield cutting and recrowning the barrel on an old Winchester 22 is different than doing so on his SCAR with a chrome-lined barrel in his garage. Expensive mistake.

I would be happy to use the part of the shroud that came off, but it's pretty buggered up after my efforts on it with channel locks. I'll just add a crush washer if I can find one. Otherwise, oh well; I didn't buy the Saiga because it looks pretty. That's what my shotguns are for.

ETA: The flash hider I plan to use is a Smith Enterprises Vortex.

I looked at that smith vortex on brownells very nice they also have crush washers for .223 and .308 ar wonder what size id they are.

I saved my shroud leftovers you could have pm if you can't come up with something.