the mississippi zombie slayer

here is what we southerners use to slay some wicked zombies in these parts...we prefer a converted Saiga 308. you that own these know that front grip options are few and far between. i wanted something not so run of the mill and that would send the zombies running before the first shot is fired.

so i called (or maybe emailed) fugly stick and begged and pleaded for a fugly stick for the 308. the pictures you will see below are just a protoype but daddy likes! the fugly stick isn't for everyone but i love it.

the installation overall was fairly labor intensive. the hardest part being driving the rear gas block pin out. ended up using several 3/32" punches and a 3/32" drill bit in a drill press. the pin is tapered so make sure you first try the drift pin and hammer method first. i had a hell of a time. oh and find a way to secure your s308 to a bench/table. trying to do this while securing the rifle with your left foot and right knee doesn't work so well. the rest of the installation went great...the instructions are very easy to follow if you're somewhat familiar with the various parts of the rifle. again...huge thanks to fugly stick!!!

Here is a pic of my converted 308 with the OEM front grip

post-22005-12701700681404_thumb.jpg

use a flat head to remove the screw circled in red at the front of your receiver on the bottom side of the rifle

post-22005-12701701285441_thumb.jpg

here is what your rifle looks like naked...zombies love this look

post-22005-12701701479358_thumb.jpg

here is a pic of the small PITA pin you will spend hours removing...use a 3/32" drift pin or punch and a small hammer...the rifle is best secured to a table or bench. all else fails get a drill press. again...i'll warn you this was a pain in the arse for me and i was constantly watching the zombies creep up on me while i struggled. the fugly stick manufacturer didn't have as much of a problem...

post-22005-12701702149056_thumb.jpg

finally the pin is removed i had to touch up my scrapes with some flat black in a bottle...

post-22005-12701702345271_thumb.jpg

this is not easy either. so take a break at this point. the pin fits very snug as does the gas block adapter. again i would find a way to secure the rifle. i worked the pin through the adapter and into one side of the hole in the gas block itself. slowly beat the pin through the hole and had to force it to line up the other end. very very very tight fit but that's a good thing. the tapped 5mm screw holes in the adapter should be towards the receiver.

post-22005-12701702642764_thumb.jpg

slide the fugly stick onto the barrel and fit the tongue of the stick into the receiver opening. the gas block adapter will now line up fairly well with the stop inside the fugly stick. i used a rubber mallett to further persuade a tight fit. install the 5mm bolts and washers through the bottom of the fugly stick into the threaded holes in the gas block adapter. i used a little locktite. blue...not red. then look at the hole at the front of the receiver on the bottom of the rifle. this hole should now line up with the threaded hole in the tongue of the ugly stick. find the OEM screw from the original hand guard and install that screw here.

post-22005-12701703013703_thumb.jpg

here's a side view of the fugly stick showing the fitment of the stick itself to the gas block adapter.

post-22005-1270170327756_thumb.jpg

full completed view.

post-22005-12701703730497_thumb.jpg

time to roll on some fricken zombies...rat-a-tat-tat-tat...

post-22005-12701704003547_thumb.jpg

enjoy!

This is the mount on the gun. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/ak-detachable-side-rail-mount-p-357.html If you type in code s12forum during checkout, you get 5% off your order. If you want a koozie and type the color (blue or pink), we will send a koozie with your order.

...rat-a-tat-tat-tat

"...I heard his motha fuckin' back crack..."

Thanks. I will probably do this for a light mount. Fuglystick, man, you just gave a 2 feet to 500+ yard one hit zombiestopper, a ultrabadass Tec 9 look.

What's your optics mount?

honestly haven't shot the rifle yet since the install. it was easter weekend and all.

theoretically the free floating barrel should decrease the shooters affects on accuracy. but i have no evidence to support that...yet...

It's not that fugly when you get used to it.

But if I understand this right, your barrel is effectively free floated now, is it not? If that's the case, how's accuracy been affected?

Nice set up, by the way. I like the way it looks.

I dont see how this could be considered free float though. It is attached mid barrel to the gas block and the front of the receiver. Most free float systems on ar15's have the handguard screwed onto the threads of the barrel nut and upper receiver and touching nothing else.

thanks for the comments!

you're correct. my ar15 has a bull barrel with a true free floating grip. it only attaches at the barrel nut. nothing is fixed mid barrel or at the gas block.

Nice set up, by the way. I like the way it looks.

I dont see how this could be considered free float though. It is attached mid barrel to the gas block and the front of the receiver. Most free float systems on ar15's have the handguard screwed onto the threads of the barrel nut and upper receiver and touching nothing else.

I would not concider it free float any more than the stock hand guard is. I tried to make it free float but when I installed the mount less the forward mount it would move left to right. I thought about a second screw hole further back but I did not want to get invloved with mods to the actual gun. I have on on a .308 and it did not seem to have any effect on the POI but that was @ 50 ft.

• 6 months later...

That rifle is looking mighty schweet with that Fugly forearm :up:

OK, that was the good.

Now for the bad.

Holy fuckin chin weld Batman! Damn that mount is high :shocked: Break out the 100mm objective.

It's not that fugly when you get used to it.

But if I understand this right, your barrel is effectively free floated now, is it not? If that's the case, how's accuracy been affected?

Free floating is not a term that can be used with a gas system hanging off the barrel and thats a big honking gas tube. One of the areas the Stoner rifle tied to lessen by making that tube as small as possible using direct impingement. But no not free floating since its tapped for the gas.