Found a great price on a stripped RRA lower last week (this is in NC if that matters). However, the dealer insisted I must acquire a pistol permit in order to purchase. Keep in mind, a 20 inch varmint upper will sit atop said lower, as in not < 16 inches of barrel length. Has anyone ever heard of this restriction or is the dealer mistaken?

i dont know about nc specificaly, but since i figure yall fill out the same 4473(damn me if i got the number wrong) form(since it is a federal thing)

and they have added an "other" category for virgin receivers.

a while back it was "handgun" "long gun"

now its "handgun" "long gun" "other" so if yall need pistol permits to go buy a pistol then maybe, but if you can go to "sporting good store" in your said state and buy "generic handgun" and walk away with it, that day, at that time then you probably dont need anything special.....

but if you cant just go to the store and buy a handgun and carry it home then you might be needin a permit.....

it's because a stripped lower can be built into a rifle or a pistol. here in illinois if you buy a stripped lower you have to follow the three day waiting period for handguns. (one for rifles three for handguns.)

Edited by Snoofer

Did the law change recently? I bought a stripped lower at a gun show a few years back, and it was treated as though I was buying a rifle (just typical check, and walked away with it in 20 minutes). Also, wouldn't putting a short upper on it make it an SBR, thus requiring a class 3?

law didn't change the form did

but the other guys shows my point....if you wanted a handgun say a p22, would you have to get a permit to buy it and wait, or would you just go buy it and fill out the form and walk away with it

if you need any special paperwork for a pistol then you will(might) need it for a virgin ar reciever....

the only way around this would maybe be to give him an ar buttstock and have him install it, then it would be an ar rifle....forever...

the only way around this would maybe be to give him an ar buttstock and have him install it, then it would be an ar rifle....forever...

This is not what I have been told. My understanding is that a lower could have had a stock on it at one time and still be transferred as a pistol as long as the stock is remove beforehand. I know that this would be inconsistent with their view on shotgun receivers, but that means nothing.

The "new" method or interpt, was discussed at an ATF presentation a this years Shotshow.

Now don't anyone think I thought this up, straight from the briefing. (for what that's worth)

The lower can come into the dealer stripped, or completed, (as a lower)

The dealer must sell as an other, until the unit is assembled into a complete firearm.

Once it has a stock and a barrel , then it is a long gun forever.

One hell of a bunch of worms this is gonna open. But that's what the man said.

from what i understand.....once a buttstock is installed it is a rifle forever....unless its a t/c

This is correct.

Once an AR lower has a stock installed on it, it's a long gun, and can't ever become a pistol from that point on. There doesn't even need to be a 16"+ barreled upper installed. The lower having a stock attached is enough to make it a "long gun".

A kid on Arfcom just had a stripped lower he bought, sent to his local FFL. He goes to pick it up.........and he can't even have it, because he's not 21. How shitty is that? Luckily for him, his birthday is in a few months, and the FFL said he would just stash it in the safe for him until then.

So, if I have the dealer install an A2 stock prior to purchase, it'll be kosher? (so to speak)

nope doesn't sound "kosher"- here is why I say that - when the 01FFL (dealer) got that stripped lower, he had to log it in as such in his book. now, if he puts a stock on it and sells it as a rifle, and checks rifle on the 4473, then he is manufaturing without a licence, talking a stripper lower and making it into a rifle is manufaturing. now if this 01 FFL also has a SOT (07 FFL) then that wouldn't be a problem of him doing that.

the ATF is cracking down on 01 FFLs, making rifles and selling them as such, without a 07 FFL.

the vast majority of states consider a stripper lower, just that - a stripped lower, that is transfer as such, check 'others" on the 4473, background check conducted and you are fine, walk out with it. as long as the buyer is 21 years old, that a federal law, in order to buy that stripped lower.

now, a few states law, look at that stripper lower differently, and it has to be transfer the same as you would a pistol. that is the state's call on that.

here is what I would do - buy a complete lower- stock, trigger group and pisol grip(rifle), then just mate the 20 inch upper to that. unless you want to go though the hassle of getting a pistol permit for a stripper lower, that you would end up putting all that stuff on there anyways.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

So, if I have the dealer install an A2 stock prior to purchase, it'll be kosher? (so to speak)

He probably cannot do that. However you may find a receiver being sold with a stock as a rifle. If you find that your golden. Either that or get your pistol permit and get on with it.

Well, the impetus behind this whole plan is that the lower in question is being offered at a significant discount, which probably couldn't be realized by buying another lower in more completed form. Additionally, I had hoped to save money slightly by sourcing parts from various places and assembling on my own. Looks like obtaining a pistol permit will be the cheapest option at first glance. The things I go through to save money...

There's barely any laws in S.C. haha

That's how the rest of the country should be, as far as gun laws :super: . I hate NY.

Can I ask how much of a "great deal" you are getting? For the most part, if you stick with reputable brands, then "a lower, is a lower, is a lower". Not much difference except the rollmark.

Find a dealer online selling a complete lower (stock and LPK installed) and just buy that. If you can't find the exact configuration you want, you can always sell off whatever stock/PG came with it and put it toward something else.

sure; 108 after transfer and no shipping costs

Yeah, I guess that is a pretty damn good deal. Most stripped lowers are right around $100 even. But once you add in shipping and a transfer fee.................

So you did indeed fall upon a nice deal. So I guess the question is whether it's worth it or not to bring on whatever fees are included in getting your pistol permit. If you plan on getting other handguns in the future anyway, you might as well get it now, and snag up that deal.

ya it'll be hard for em to turn that down. Anyone have an opinion on lower parts kits? or all they all pretty similar in quality?

My personal recommendations are:

Stag/CMT

RRA

Daniel Defense

I've never dealt with any other LPK's, besides those. I do have a DPMS hammer in my 9mm AR though, and it's doing good so far.

I'll definitely look into those. Just curious, anyone know anything about CMMG lpk's?

I've heard at least a few complaints about pretty much every brand of LPK. So I went with the ones that I heard the least amount of complaints about, which are the ones I listed above. I haven't heard much (negative or positive) about CMMG LPK's, so I'm not sure.