FCG Recommendations (Tromix vs. Tapco)

I've been reading quite a bit lately about making my firearm 922 compliant (especially since I ordered the 2 round and 10 round mags). I just have a stock IZ-109. I want to replace the FCG but I'm not sure which one is better and what website has the highest recommendation. I guess my questions can be summed up as follows:

1. What FCG is the easiest to install and has the best performance?

2. What site do you recommend purchasing from (I don't want to get ripped off)?

3. Do I have to remove the BHO to replace the FCG (I like being able to lock the bolt open)?

Thank you for your recommendations!

Edited by koldar

(IMHO) the Tromix FCG is easiest to install because it comes preassembled with the disconnector spring already installed.

Once correctly assembled (unless Tromix has changed hammer geometry) there is no functional difference between a stock Tapco G2 FCG and a Tromix FCG.

The BHO will have to come out if you swap out the entire FCG. The Russian hammer can remain in place if you do not wish to remove the BHO, but the factory hammer requires modification to work with the Tapco disconnector. Not recommended for an amateur installation, and may require an additional US 922r compliance part.

Either way, the BHO spring will come out and will need to be reinstalled, and will have to be placed in the correct position when everything is reinstalled.

There are a number of reputable forum sponsors who sell FCG's.

The Tromix FCG is a Tapco FCG that has been modified for use in the S12 (and can be used in other Saigas, but isn't necessary in them).

I think you can do the math from the above statement.

I've been reading quite a bit lately about making my firearm 922 compliant (especially since I ordered the 2 round and 10 round mags). I just have a stock IZ-109. I want to replace the FCG but I'm not sure which one is better and what website has the highest recommendation. I guess my questions can be summed up as follows:

1. What FCG is the easiest to install and has the best performance?

2. What site do you recommend purchasing from (I don't want to get ripped off)?

3. Do I have to remove the BHO to replace the FCG (I like being able to lock the bolt open)?

Thank you for your recommendations!

I have a Tromix modified Tapco G2 and a G2 set that I modified to work. They are both fine, but only after doing some work to them (to take the 'grit' out of them). I would assume that nearly all of the available single stage fire control groups would need some tweaking to feel nice. They all install the same. The only big difference is that the Tromix modifed unit doesn't need modification. There may be some other brands that are ready to use as well, Red Jacket, etc.. The basic idea of the modification consists of taking material off of the hammer to allow room for the BHO and taking that lump off of the bottom area on the striking side of the hammer. Also, use a small file to take the 'G' and the '2' off of the hammer before you install it. The hook on my trigger was catching slightly on the 'G2' on the hammer, producing a gritty feel. I filed the G2 down and the pull is smooth and the break is crisp for an AK.

Find the business member here who has the best price, including shipping. You may want to get a few items that you know you will need in an effort to get more for your shipping dollar (grip, grip screw and nut, buttstock, trigger guard, etc.). If they are in your state you will probably get state taxed on the order too, so take that into account. You are pretty safe when doing business with business members here. Bad news travels at the speed of light here....

Another +1 for the tromix modified tapco parts.

I did my first S-12 a few months ago, and had no problems with the install. The BHO gave me the most grief, but it still wasn't too bad.

I got all my parts from CSS. The owner (greg) is very knowlegible, responds to e-mail quickly, and has very fast shipping. With that said, I think pricing is pretty much uniform for these parts on any of the vendors associated with this forum.

+2 on Tromix, if you don't want to hassle with fitting the Tapco. I have both, and will by a Tapco G2 on all my conversions from now on, but I like to tinker and that gives me something else to grind on in the shop plus I am cheap.

you can use just about any fcg you want, some have to be "reshaped" some have to be fit a little....

in my s-12 i run the stock hammer and a tapgo g2 double hook.....i had it sitting around so when i converted it was the cheapest fcg i could get....

now for the 2nd poster saying the tapco disconector has to be modified i would almost call bullshit.....

but when i put my trigger in i actually had to open up the trigger hole a little.....didn't have to do anything to the disconector and i've put tons on lead downrange b4 and after the conversion it works fine...

you can use just about any fcg you want, some have to be "reshaped" some have to be fit a little....

in my s-12 i run the stock hammer and a tapgo g2 double hook.....i had it sitting around so when i converted it was the cheapest fcg i could get....

now for the 2nd poster saying the tapco disconector has to be modified i would almost call bullshit.....

but when i put my trigger in i actually had to open up the trigger hole a little.....didn't have to do anything to the disconector and i've put tons on lead downrange b4 and after the conversion it works fine...

If you had actually taken the time to read my post, I suggested that the stock hammer should be modified to work efficiently with the Tapco disconnector (I also advised that this is not a mod that amateur builders - you for example - should attempt). Under NO circumstances would I EVER recommend that the disconnector be modified to work with the hammer.

Unmodified, the factory hammer can hang on the TAPCO disconnector. As for the mod itself - since you apparently have a superior grasp of the cheapest hybrid FCG's you can get, and don't actually need to READ others posts to be insulting and dismissive of them, there is no need to discuss the mod that will enable the factory hammer to function optimally with the Tapco FCG.

Good luck to you.