Drilling FSB holes in Barrel?

I am getting ready to press off the FSB and gas block on my 5.45, I picked up a Bulgarian FSB and Gas block which require pin holes/slots to be drilled on the edge of the barrel. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good way to do this? I plan on using a drill press but figured someone has tackled this before and may have found a good way to do it.

Thanks

I use a vise that fits on the drill press to make sure that I have the rifle level with the press. The barrel actually drills incredibly easy, it's nothing like the thinner sheet metal parts that are hardened like crazy.

I use a vise that fits on the drill press to make sure that I have the rifle level with the press. The barrel actually drills incredibly easy, it's nothing like the thinner sheet metal parts that are hardened like crazy.

Forgot to ask, did you drill the holes with the gas block and FSB in place?

Forgot to ask, did you drill the holes with the gas block and FSB in place?

Yeah, you put the blocks on and index them, and once they are in the right place you drill the holes.

Yes yes, I've never done one with a "virgin" block, all of mine have always already had holes, and in some cases the barrel's had grooves too. That's why I like to use the larger drill bit and pins. But yes I always drill with the blocks in place. That way I can get the block lined up perfectly straight using a laser level and a boresighter and taking FOREVER to do that (I'm a perfectionist).... this way I know the holes are straight in line with the straight blocks, and the pins will go in without any trouble. I'm not certain, but I don't really see how it could be done with the blocks off, as you could end up with the holes not lining up properly, if you could even drill into the rounded barrel straight. I think the bit would bend as it came in contact with the rounded barrel because they aren't centered.

Yes yes, I've never done one with a "virgin" block, all of mine have always already had holes, and in some cases the barrel's had grooves too. That's why I like to use the larger drill bit and pins. But yes I always drill with the blocks in place. That way I can get the block lined up perfectly straight using a laser level and a boresighter and taking FOREVER to do that (I'm a perfectionist).... this way I know the holes are straight in line with the straight blocks, and the pins will go in without any trouble. I'm not certain, but I don't really see how it could be done with the blocks off, as you could end up with the holes not lining up properly, if you could even drill into the rounded barrel straight. I think the bit would bend as it came in contact with the rounded barrel because they aren't centered.

Does it make sense to drill the pin holes in the barrel using the stock gas block and FSB prior to pressing them off? As best I can tell it looks as though the pin holes on the Bulgarian FSB and gas block should line up with the stock FSB and gas block. Also, I have read how hard it is to remove the FSB but not much about how difficult it is to install the new one. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I thought the same thing about drill the FSB before remove. Right after I took it off. DOH! I also think press off is much easier than dremel along the barrel. As for put it on, I use a pipe, wrench, piece of wood, and a hammer. For the gasblock, since the pipe I have is a little bit bigger, I put a wrench on the gasblock then the pipe. I held the barrel with one hand and the hammer on the other to hit on the pipe. Be careful not to pass the pin hole that been drill from the factory. For the FSB, I put the block of wood on top then hit it with the hammer. All assumed that you level all gas block and fsb on the right spot.

Yeah man, I know the feeling. I wish I would have done the drilling before I removed the old block too. Oh well.

PIX!!!

Was yours pinned on or was it the dimpled one? Did you cut it off, or press it off?

Edited by Polak

Yeah man, I know the feeling. I wish I would have done the drilling before I removed the old block too. Oh well.

PIX!!!

Was yours pinned on or was it the dimpled one? Did you cut it off, or press it off?

It's the dimpled one, I had to cut it off. I was gonna take pics but my shit camera decided to die the night I cut the block off.

Here are the pictures of how I did mine.

what's with the pipe on the barrel?

It's to press a gas block on instead of using a press. With the FSB off, he puts the new gas block on, then a wrench on top, then the pipe, and beats on the pipe with a sledge hammer to push it down onto the right spot.

Here are the pictures of how I did mine.

what's with the pipe on the barrel?

It's to press a gas block on instead of using a press. With the FSB off, he puts the new gas block on, then a wrench on top, then the pipe, and beats on the pipe with a sledge hammer to push it down onto the right spot.

Oh. I thought this was a thread about the fsb.

Well I drilled the holes for the FSB and Gas Block last night. I think it went pretty well but I won't know until I install the new FSB and Gas Block, we will see how everything lines up then. Thought I would pass along how I ended up drilling the holes, maybe someone will find it helpful. Since the Gas Block already has a pin in it I removed the pin and used that hole as a guide for the other three holes. I loosely put the barrel in a drill press vise, chucked up the 3mm bit in the drill press and adjusted the vise until the bit slid in and out of the pin hole already drilled in the barrel. Once it slid easily I tightened the drill press vise holding the barrel, this insured that all holes would be on the same vertical plane. Drilling the other three pin holes was just a matter of lining up the bit as it entered the dimples on the FSB and Gas Block. Another bit of advise on drilling steel, turn the bit slow. I put my drill press on the slowest speed and it cut through the blocks and barrel like butter. I also drilled the bullet guide with the drill press, and then chucked up the tap and spun the spindle by hand. It taped so easily and fast that I wasn't sure it had cut threads until the tap bottomed out. This was not my typical experience when tapping steel.

So just to be clear again. You guys all install your FSB and GB without any support right? You can just leave the buttstock on the rifle and hold it up on the ground and use a hammer to tap the blocks on and this does no damage to the receiver like bending the rivets or the receiver right? That's been my biggest concern.

It would be cool, I was going to get a friend to help me since he has all the tools and has done it before, but health problems have prevented that from happening. Another buddy owns a motorcycle shop and they have a press so I may go that route but I am about ready to go down and spend the $130.00 on a 12 ton press. The issue I see is that I will need to make press tools to fit since I can't find any on the internet.

It would be cool, I was going to get a friend to help me since he has all the tools and has done it before, but health problems have prevented that from happening. Another buddy owns a motorcycle shop and they have a press so I may go that route but I am about ready to go down and spend the $130.00 on a 12 ton press. The issue I see is that I will need to make press tools to fit since I can't find any on the internet.

ak builder has a lot of stuff on their website.

Give Keith a call @ Tac47Industries. He can do it cheaper then you if you have to buy tools. Tac47 is located near the Memorial Mall area(I10/beltway8)

Give Keith a call @ Tac47Industries. He can do it cheaper then you if you have to buy tools. Tac47 is located near the Memorial Mall area(I10/beltway8)

Keith is a great guy and is working on one of my S12s right now, he actually sold me the 5.45. I am a do it yourself kinda guy so I bought the press yesterday and pressed off the Gas Block and FSB without to much trouble. Any excuse to buy tools and this won't be the last one of these I build.

Would be glad to talk anyone through what they need to press off the parts but once I started taking pictures never crossed my mind to get the camera out. If anyone is in the Houston area and needs help pressing off their parts drop me a line and bring a few beers over, we will knock it out quick.

post-22225-12738012342415_thumb.jpg post-22225-12738012479856_thumb.jpg

Got it done and it turned out pretty well, I just hope the FSB is straight, couldn't bore sight it because I couldn't find a bore sight to fit and the rear trunnion won't allow looking straight down the barrel.