Shortest Barrel Length with Factory Hanguard?

Assuming I bought a 19" S12, and wanted to use a factory Izhmash handguard, what's the shortest I could go on the barrel?

Assuming I'm reading your post correctly, you're asking about the factory handguard related to barrel length, right ??

That would be ten inches, which places the end of the handguard just short of the end of the barrel, like this:

post-3950-12744940402303_thumb.jpg

post-3950-12744940594314_thumb.jpg

Assuming I bought a 19" S12, and wanted to use a factory Izhmash handguard, what's the shortest I could go on the barrel?

Assuming I'm reading your post correctly, you're asking about the factory handguard related to barrel length, right ??

That would be ten inches, which places the end of the handguard just short of the end of the barrel, like this:

Jeaux,

What is the lowest powered ammo you have used in that weapon? I have seen it here before, but didn't notice it had a full handguard on it. Looks mean and I like the use of the long guard.

Thank you for the photos. If that's a 10", then I think a 12" is what I want, as I want to use the factory Izhmash handguard with the integrated bottom rail. Since I want to run it with an M3X ta light, I think the extra 2" of barrel would be best. I already expect there to be gas system work required. Sounds like a job for Tromix.

Jeaux,

What is the lowest powered ammo you have used in that weapon? I have seen it here before, but didn't notice it had a full handguard on it. Looks mean and I like the use of the long guard.

This little TROMIX masterpiece will run anything you put in it........... I have yet to find any ammo it won't readily run, from low-brass bird and game loads to magnum rounds it just chews 'em up and spits 'em out !

I wanted to keep the factory handguard on it when I first was talking to Tony (and Bob, over beers at Tony's shop) about building it........and Tony did a helluva job on making it work out !! Looks great, and runs better !!

I've since changed out the Shark Brake on it (fireball and blowback too close to the end of the nose), and gone to the TROMIX Flash Hider, which works out much better for me !!

Like this:

post-3950-12745399199562_thumb.jpg

post-3950-12745407474623_thumb.jpg

Even on a 12in barrel if you use the factory Izhmash handguard there will be a gap where the gas block dosent fill all the way. FYI

........that is unless you have an extender fabricated onto the gas adjustment knob to fill the gap in front,as shown in this pic. Note the position of the gas block, and you can see the custom extender Tony made for this gun.

It just doesn't get any better than TROMIX, guys..................

I know but yours is special jeaux :haha: LOL. I was just letting him know if he went with a 12in barrel normally there would be a gap like in the pic above. Heres my Tromix without the Izhmash factory hanguard. Notice there is no gap from the gas block to the end of the handguard.

post-8476-12745417973637_thumb.jpg

post-8476-12745418078326_thumb.jpg

Edited by raidersfan_5544

I know but yours is special jeaux :haha: LOL. I was just letting him know if he went with a 12in barrel normally there would be a gap like in the pic above. Heres my Tromix without the Izhmash factory hanguard. Notice there is no gap from the gas block to the end of the handguard.

I really like that long handguard like shown on yours..........At the time I got my shorty, that was not available..... (available, hell.....they didn't exist!!)

Still, I've always been happy having a one-of-a-kind TROMIX shorty !! If you ever see it for sale, you'll know I'm dead. Here's a pic of a 10" with the same long Galil handguard as you have:

post-3950-12745461372168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeaux E

This has almost turned into a "post your Tromix" page :super:

Honestly Jeaux I think your 10in Tromix with the Izhmash factory handguard is one of the nicest I have seen. I really like the way the krebs front sight is recessed right into the hangurd.

I actually asked Tony about building me one like yours. He did say it was a one of a kind and in the end I desided to just go with the 12in

Edited by raidersfan_5544

This is a 12.5" Red Jacket build with the FGB in the standard/factory location. You could run a factory handguard on it.

It cycles Federal Value Pack all day w/o too much wad build up in the chamber.

P1070447.jpg

This has almost turned into a "post your Tromix" page :super:

Honestly Jeaux I think your 10in Tromix with the Izhmash factory handguard is one of the nicest I have seen. I really like the way the krebs front sight is recessed right into the hangurd.

I actually asked Tony about building me one like yours. He did say it was a one of a kind and in the end I desided to just go with the 12in

Thank you !!

Credit goes to Tony !! Anyone will be more than happy with any gun Tony builds for them !! The quality of his builds, the look of a TROMIX gun, and it's flawless performance can't be beat.......I know you love your 12" !!

Edited by Jeaux E

IIRC 12".... with port work of course. For reference, I think the barrel length of the 12K on the home page here is 12" and it has a Russian choke on it.

12K stats on modern firams page says 430mm....16.929"