Making a custom Saiga, opinions wanted....

I'm in the process of converting a 22" model, looking at the pics, other than Cobra's, I haven't seen a lot of innovation. I had about 18 years in paintball where "bling and speed" rule, so I wanted this one to be different. My first thought was to model it after my old Galil ARM, but I also like the Izzy FAL's. I need to take an inch off the tubes and Galil folder is done and ready to be welded up to the receiver block I made. It's definately going to get a set of Galil sights, some type of muzzle brake, and have the barrel shortened and threaded for chokes. I have 3 different handguards I'm thinking about using. The first is a Galil ARM copy that I can mount a rail to the bottom so a vertical grip can be used. The second 2 are FAL Heavy Barrels (with or without the heat shield, or possibly a modified shield).

Here are some rough set up's-any preference?

Edited by 6500rpm

Man I like the top two with the heat shields. That's rad! I would go with a wooden PG though and try to match the handguard with the color. What's the deal with that hider? Is that supposed to thread inside a barrel?

Hider's nothin, old M14 I think. Last resort I'll cut and ream to fit-still part shopping and thinking right now. The heat shield is a PITA. Full length extends way past the end of the gas block, if I cut it down to match the gas block it ends up cutting through a vent slot. Either have to cut my own path, or pull it inward and cut off the end closest to the receiver. Maybe, fabricate a heat shield. A Galil style would be a lot easier (the one shown was a quick rough out and doesn't have any details). I guess I'll rough out some aluminum mounts in the mill first and see where it takes me before making any steel ones, I need to do something that would support the carry handle too.........

Man, that heat shield really looks cool. Find a way to make that work! I could go with Cobra, matching the PG to the wood would look sweet. OR, you could go the other way and match that hand guard to the PG and folding stock, since you've got a metallic folder, black PG, the wood almost seems out of place...

Jeric

Not on there yet-just resting for some pics while I think things out...... Looks like mounting the Izzy grip is going to be a trip, figured I'd save it for last. Actuallythe grip won't be a hard fabrication mount, but using the grip with the heat shield, or part of the shield will be. I fight the urge to tear into it every day. The grip isn't a bad buy, I picked this one up off the net for $30ish (with the shields) if anyone else wants to give it a shot and save me some headaches :dollar:

Personally I've always preferred the bullpup look. At least one guy in this forum has converted his S-12 using a Muzzlelite stock. I believe that he used a Mini-14 muzzlelite stock. Because of the way stress is distributed, if you mount the receiver up against the rear buttplate, you shouldn't have to reinforce the stock like he did. I'm planning on doing the conversion very soon myself. You may have to dig a little to find his thread, because it has been quite awhile.

Jimmy