This can't be right. RE: Gas Port

I was reading the thread about checking how many gas ports you have and either I am doing something wrong (or Im blind) or something is really amiss.

I unscrewed the gas adjustment piece and then knocked the puck out gently with a rod.

I shined a flashlight in through the breech side and found the 'hole' on the bottom. The hole is directly over the barrel, and directly under the hole where the front sight is screwed into.

I only saw 1 hole, within this hole. Is this the gas port; and if so, do I seriously only have ONE? The thing that makes this really odd for me is that the size of the hole and the size of the port within the hole is only large enough in diameter for 1 of these port holes. You couldn't fit a second let alone 4 total into this hole.

Am I missing something? Am I not looking at the right thing? Or do I just have 1 huge ass port?

Did you buy the gun new or second hand?

My guess would be second hand and you got a gun that has been modified.

Have you fired it yet?

Also,

Some pics if possible would be helpful.

It was brand new in the box.

I took it to the range once and shot high brass slugs out of it with the occasional FTE (maybe 2 or 3 times) which I chalked up to a break in period.

If you would like to do a visual inspection, I would like to suggest using a mirror , you can easily see into the gas ports, and then it will be easier to insert a wire of varing diameters to check the size of the ports. My gun had only 1 visible port as well, however upon mirror inspection, I found the 2nd port. You may have more than 2 , because in some of these guns the 2nd and/ or 3rd port may be slightly obstructed.

If you have a 2 port gun as mine was, I would contact Cadiz Gun Works, a business member on this sight and arrange for repair under warranty if possible. Cadiz Gun Works is the aurthorized warranty repair station for these.

I hope this was helpful, and good luck with your Saiga.

post-21372-092683500 1275918483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

Looking down the barrel, the front two holes are not visable. You can only see the single hole behind them (appearing centered directly in line with the barrel). Use a dental pick or a hooked o-ring pick (available lowes/home depot/pepboys) and inspect it again. Lightly probe to the left & right in the area ahead of the visable port. The pick should drop right into them.

Looking down the barrel, the front two holes are not visable. You can only see the single hole behind them (appearing centered directly in line with the barrel). Use a dental pick or a hooked o-ring pick (available lowes/home depot/pepboys) and inspect it again. Lightly probe to the left & right in the area ahead of the visable port. The pick should drop right into them.

So what you are saying is that if I can see 1, there should be 3 total?

I don't have a pick or mirror to find them at the moment.

Checking mine again, it is an '08-brand new just purchased it within the last few months, I can only see the one port and it appears from the direction that I am looking that it is centered in the hole. It is drilled from the top down towards them direction of the muzzle. The other two ports are right in front of that port to the left & right of it but I cannot see them since they are visable blocked by the edge of the hole. It is very hard for me to see anything from the barrel even with a bright LED flashlight shining from the breech because of the mirror hone.

The hooked dental pick & hooked o-ring pick work best since the hook just drops into the hole & follows the direction of it while keeping the tool paraell with the barrel- the is no manipulation of the tool and very unlikely to scratch anything. Until you get something like that possibly a fishing hook might do but be carefull (dull it and remove or crimp the barb down.)

Try scrubbing the hole down with a clean(no toothpaste), firm toothbrush. In my experience the carbon buildup gets pretty solid sometimes so you might have to scrub it with a cleaner if the bristles dont peneatrate at first. Grab an old toothbrush, clean it & mash the bristles into the hole-examine down the barrel it might indicate how many ports you have by looking at the bristle groupings but the ports are close together- i dont know how well this might work to determine # of ports but if the bristles go thru you've cleared the ports.

Sorry I am not any authority on this at all- I have not read about the ports in awhile.

• 1 year later...