Seen one at my local gun store for $439, hoping to find one for even cheaper at this up coming gun show. I know they're cheaply made and such, but I constantly hear about their fun factor. Is it really worth getting? I know it won't be a crown jewel.

Yeah if you got the money, and you want a toy, buy it.

No a WASR is not a top line choice, there are others that are "more better", for a bit more.

It's an AK. I hope to see in time that WASR's Might get a slight claim. I remember when MAADI's were called junk and SAR's were botom of the line.

$439 is a rip off. You can order them from JGsales, classicarms, peachstatearms, or literally any other internet vendor for less. Don't be a chump. Don't pay over $359 for them. For the low capacity units do not pay over $299.

:ph34r:

Edited by bigsal

I got one from atlantic and the steel and plastic mags fit very tight. I'm not sure if there's any cant in the sights, but it does shoot straight and is as reliable as my other AK's. The Saiga's don't shoot any better. Trigger slap is not really a problem anymore because most WASR's today are outfitted with G2 trigger hooks. The finish on the metal might look rough, but it's not like it rusts easily or comes out easily. It works. The buttstock and lower handguard is a nice laminated one, but it doesn't have any varnish on it. The upper handguard is usually not laminated and looks very cheap. The pistol grip is a very cheap looking plastic one added by century arms for compliance, I replaced it with bakelite. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my WASR and recommend you get one. Before buying one, I would inspect it for mag wobble and canted sights. If it doesn't have any of that, then you're good to go.

Edited by Ermac

Most of the ones I've held don't have mag wobble or the canted sights, however there does seem to be another type of wobbling sound. Not sure what it could be. And thanks Bigsal, I'll look for that price range then. It's funny because the other gun stores here sell them for $550+ so this $439 was the cheapest price I saw.

• Like 1

I basically bought a Trijicon ACOG and got a free WASR plus some mags and ammo for $650. The dude had this thing with a real TA01NSN ACOG on a UTG receiver mount, UTG quad rail, TAPCO everything, G2, pistol grip, VFG, folder stock, and collapsing stock. Even a cheapo UTG laser sight. I have since off-loaded the TAPCO stocks, threw away the shitty laser sight, reallocated the ACOG for a different weapon, and removed the TAPCO VFG. I added a CAA receiver extension, an AR carbine buttstock, and a DSA aluminum VFG to it and it is now rock solid and a great shooter, no mag wobble and the front sight is not canted. I'd post a pic but my Photobucket is jacked up and won't let me log in.

I basically bought a Trijicon ACOG and got a free WASR plus some mags and ammo for $650. The dude had this thing with a real TA01NSN ACOG on a UTG receiver mount, UTG quad rail, TAPCO everything, G2, pistol grip, VFG, folder stock, and collapsing stock. Even a cheapo UTG laser sight. I have since off-loaded the TAPCO stocks, threw away the shitty laser sight, reallocated the ACOG for a different weapon, and removed the TAPCO VFG. I added a CAA receiver extension, an AR carbine buttstock, and a DSA aluminum VFG to it and it is now rock solid and a great shooter, no mag wobble and the front sight is not canted. I'd post a pic but my Photobucket is jacked up and won't let me log in.

No rush on the photos, but I would like to see it when you do manage to resolve your issues with photobucket. But that's awesome that you've turned what most people think is a POS into something that's decent!

I have a 10/63... it was my first AK and despite immediately disliking it after I got my second, I kept it. I'm glad I did.

There are a few things to like about the WASRs... first, they are put together in a foreign factory that produces AKs for its military. The Saiga is too, but it requires a lot more work to convert back to its original configuration (particularly the whole front end). All you have to do with a WASR is grind out the magwell and add a few compliance parts. Second, the receivers come with 3rd-pin Y-stamps which are a detail I appreciate... can't find these on any other "post-ban" rifles. Third, they are dirt cheap.

Now, they don't shoot or feel like a high-quality AK. My WASR is the least accurate of all my AKs, but still minute of man at 150 yards which is good enough. It's run 100% using all kinds of mags and ammo. It won't win any beauty contests, has no dimples and suffers from mag wobble. Canted sights aren't uncommon on these, but if you buy a "certified" from Henderson or inspect it in person, you can avoid a bad build.

Basically, a non-canted WASR is a decent beater AK at a great price.

Edited by rob-cubed

Psh! I plan to turn my superly non-canted Wasr-10 from an ugly duckling into the most beautiful swan you have ever laid your eyes on! It will most likely become a super skinny supermodel rifle that will live in Paris, France, all while ignoring me =[

Haha, but in all seriousness, I am going to be looking at the local gun show in the next three days! Wish me luck on some good hunting!

I have a 10/63... it was my first AK and despite immediately disliking it after I got my second, I kept it. I'm glad I did.

There are a few things to like about the WASRs... first, they are put together in a foreign factory that produces AKs for its military. The Saiga is too, but it requires a lot more work to convert back to its original configuration (particularly the whole front end). All you have to do with a WASR is grind out the magwell and add a few compliance parts. Second, the receivers come with 3rd-pin Y-stamps which are a detail I appreciate... can't find these on any other "post-ban" rifles. Third, they are dirt cheap.

Now, they don't shoot or feel like a high-quality AK. My WASR is the least accurate of all my AKs, but still minute of man at 150 yards which is good enough. It's run 100% using all kinds of mags and ammo. It won't win any beauty contests, has no dimples and suffers from mag wobble. Canted sights aren't uncommon on these, but if you buy a "certified" from Henderson or inspect it in person, you can avoid a bad build.

I think Century arms has finaly put some pride in milling out the recievers. I had a Rommy RPK a few years ago with crazy mag wobble, the new WASR 10/63 I got had no mag wobble or canted front sights. The dimples are really just cosmetic.

I think Century arms has finaly put some pride in milling out the recievers. I had a Rommy RPK a few years ago with crazy mag wobble, the new WASR 10/63 I got had no mag wobble or canted front sights. The dimples are really just cosmetic.

Well, I'm hoping to see some good ones this Saturday, it would really make my day, haha.

My buddy has a WASR that is screwed up, the trigger has so much over travel that at least one out of every mag winds up being a double tap. I told him to to shoot it, until we can strip it down and fix it.

My buddy has a WASR that is screwed up, the trigger has so much over travel that at least one out of every mag winds up being a double tap. I told him to to shoot it, until we can strip it down and fix it.

Probably one of the early ones without a tapco trigger.

Yeah, the $250 "hurry-quick-buy me!" price tag was nice too

Wow, I hope to find one at that price that's actually in better to excellent condition. No mag wobble, canted sights, etc. Tomorrow's the big day =D

Well, the gunshow today was a success. I found the perfect WASR-10, immaculate almost, nothing was canted, the wood sucked, granted, but even the finish was nice! One of mags wasn't there, so the seller gave me a 40-round east german mag instead of a 30!! All for $310! Awesome deal! I also found a Bulgarian-74 with the Nodak reciever, same excellent condition as the WASR for $335, which came with three 30-round mags. I can't complain at all.

Sweet! now just spend a few bucks to dress up the wood... for example... one of the VERY FINE sets of black laminate at Carolina Shooter supply ( CSS one of our vendors here... ) or a nice set of Russian Red hardwood... and it will look more badass than you can handle! LOL

:smoke:

Sweet! now just spend a few bucks to dress up the wood... for example... one of the VERY FINE sets of black laminate at Carolina Shooter supply ( CSS one of our vendors here... ) or a nice set of Russian Red hardwood... and it will look more badass than you can handle! LOL

Actually, I'm using the black laminate for my Saiga 7.62 when I finally get around to converting it. I was actually going to dress this up by staining the wood with a nice transparent blue sapphire color. Something a little out of the ordinary, but will still allow the wood grain to show through. I have high hopes, haha. As for the 74, it'll be my tacticool weapon that I'll dress up with all sorts of goodies :D

I'm more than a little jealous: I'm a few hours south of you, and I've been hunting those same Bulgy '74's! (And what a price!)

Congrats on the two awesome finds, though. PLEASE post pics of that blue WASR when you're through!

I was going to swap out the pallet wood on my WASR-2 but I decided to try something else instead.

I stripped the "finish" off and degreased the wood, followed by allowing a couple days to dry out. I roughed up the wood a little with a very course sand paper (like 20 grit used on floor sanders) and squeegeed epoxy into the wood. Once the epoxy cured out I sanded it smooth and painted with an outdoor heavy textured spray paint. I think it turned out ok and saved me the $80 I was going to spend on the plastic Kvar set. I did it two years ago and it still looks ok, plus it got rid of the blackened area from when I burnt the handguards.

th_IMG_2148.jpg

PS click on picture if you want it bigger.

I'm more than a little jealous: I'm a few hours south of you, and I've been hunting those same Bulgy '74's! (And what a price!)

Congrats on the two awesome finds, though. PLEASE post pics of that blue WASR when you're through!

Yeah! I was so thrilled when I came across those two. I had no choice but to pull the trigger. I've already prepped the WASR for it's finish, which should get done in a week or so. I sanded down the current wood, made it actually feel smooth and look nice. I also took care of my bolt carrier, making it a nice shiny silver and giving it a healthy coat of oil for protection.

I was going to swap out the pallet wood on my WASR-2 but I decided to try something else instead.

I stripped the "finish" off and degreased the wood, followed by allowing a couple days to dry out. I roughed up the wood a little with a very course sand paper (like 20 grit used on floor sanders) and squeegeed epoxy into the wood. Once the epoxy cured out I sanded it smooth and painted with an outdoor heavy textured spray paint. I think it turned out ok and saved me the $80 I was going to spend on the plastic Kvar set. I did it two years ago and it still looks ok, plus it got rid of the blackened area from when I burnt the handguards.

th_IMG_2148.jpg

PS click on picture if you want it bigger.

Wow! If you were to just glance at it, you wouldn't even think to guess it's a WASR! I've gotta say, great job.

I have always wanted to do a AK in blue... Double that request for pics... I think it will look badass!!! :up:

You got it! Like I said, in about a week or so it should be done. Shopping around for that color now.