I took everyone's advice and broke the gun in with 100 rounds of slugs. I was on a range that only allows slugs. Even on position 1 the recoil through the Tapco stock was brutal. It made my Saiga in .308 seem like a 22. I was very impressed with the gun, it functioned very well and was accurate. I plan to get a longer stock with a little padding, and I think it will be good to go. I shot some tactical slugs and they were a lot less painful.

I will see if it can cycle trap loads next.

• Like 1

Break in and ghosts.... I don't believe in either. Buy some files, sandpaper, and a Dremel. Examine the friction points and get to work. There's your 'break in'. Comparable in price to 100s of rounds of high power ammo that may or may not do the weapon any good.... and you still have the tools.

Who told you you needed to break in your gun with slugs?

The range did. They don't allow buckshot on his range.

Well I hope they are proud of themselves. He just spent three to five times more than he needed to to put 100 break in rounds through his gun.

Shooting ranges - and especially indoor shooting ranges have some of the most arbitrary and capricious policies I have seen anywhere.

The indoor range I USED to shoot at, banned shotguns because the S12's I build scared the tourists... No kidding!

Some of the early videos I shot were taken at this range. Half of the staff loved the guns, and the other half freaked out every time I took them out of the case for range testing.

There was never an occasion where range rules were not strictly observed, but damned if every other time I took out an S12 for testing, some limp dick, minimum wage, sales commission driven "Range Officer" didn't come running in to make up a rule on the spot!

Ive got a tip for you. If you need to break in your gun - don't even visit a range until everything is running just the way you want it to.

The following video was made at the range mentioned above. I now shoot and test my guns at the class 3 area of the local outdoor NRA range. I shoot any damned thing I want to, at any time of the day or night, and I have never encountered a rude range officer, or another individual who wasn't happy to pick up one of my guns, and empty a full mag of whatever I have on hand.

Break in and ghosts.... I don't believe in either. Buy some files, sandpaper, and a Dremel. Examine the friction points and get to work. There's your 'break in'. Comparable in price to 100s of rounds of high power ammo that may or may not do the weapon any good.... and you still have the tools.

The problems with S12 cycling often begin at the gas ports. I would rather have a gun with correctly sized and aligned gas ports and gas block, that supplements that reliably with a reshaped bolt carrier etc., than a gun with screwed up ports that relies on a reshaped bolt carrier to be reliable.

I think he's spot on to first burn 100 rounds of high brass through it, now go and test some birdshot, both Federal and Winchester. See what works and how it does. Then, after that, decide what mods to do next to improve the gun, or send back for warranty, etc.

Well I hope they are proud of themselves. He just spent three to five times more than he needed to to put 100 break in rounds through his gun.

Shooting ranges - and especially indoor shooting ranges have some of the most arbitrary and capricious policies I have seen anywhere.

The indoor range I USED to shoot at, banned shotguns because the S12's I build scared the tourists... No kidding!

Ive got a tip for you. If you need to break in your gun - don't even visit a range until everything is running just the way you want it to.

You're preaching to the choir, WaffenSchmeid. I drive an hour away out of state so that I don't have to put up with overcharging clubs or BS rules and am happy to do so.

As for my range, it is a private club and I can basically shoot whatever the hell I want, however the hell I want, with the exception of shooting glass, old appliances, etc. and no shooting after dark.

Sorry to hear about your experiences and glad you found an awesome range.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

No offense taken. And, the less than desirable experiences with the local indoor range led me to become a member of the local NRA range. However, to advise someone that they need to shoot slugs to break in an S12 is absolute nonsense.

However, if the S12 owner is constrained to shooting slugs or buck and the nearest "free state" range is not readily available, you gotta do, what you gotta do!

"You're preaching to the choir, WaffenSchmeid. I drive an hour away out of state so that I don't have to put up with overcharging clubs or BS rules and am happy to do so."

POOR SOULS. I walk out my front door!!! :haha: Got to love Montana

:up:

However, if the S12 owner is constrained to shooting slugs or buck and the nearest "free state" range is not readily available, you gotta do, what you gotta do!

Yeah exactly. I broke mine in with some buck then went to birdshot, but unfortunately this guy has no choice :(

And yes, Montana rules!

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

I have a trap/sporting clays range close by. I've put a lot of bird shot out of my 870 and Mossberg, but they wouldn't let me shoot the Saiga there due to the length. You need a 24" barrel, I have a 19".

I am trying to get out of Maryland, but I am stuck here for the time being. I did find a range where I could take the Saiga trap shooting, so I can test out the low brass, not to mention it will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I am thinking about adding a recoil pad to the Tapco stock. I have the same stock on the 308 and I have no problems with it. I guess the slugs make a difference,

The problems with S12 cycling often begin at the gas ports. I would rather have a gun with correctly sized and aligned gas ports and gas block, that supplements that reliably with a reshaped bolt carrier etc., than a gun with screwed up ports that relies on a reshaped bolt carrier to be reliable.

I think he's spot on to first burn 100 rounds of high brass through it, now go and test some birdshot, both Federal and Winchester. See what works and how it does. Then, after that, decide what mods to do next to improve the gun, or send back for warranty, etc.

One cannot polish or profile enough to gain proper reliability from a gun with undersized ports.

I don't care what low strength springs, whooptie-doo pucks, or magical plugs you use, if you want truly reliable function like the gun is supposed to have, your ports need to be correctly sized.

However, polishing & profiling makes them that much better.

• Like 1

One cannot polish or profile enough to gain proper reliability from a gun with undersized ports.

I don't care what low strength springs, whooptie-doo pucks, or magical plugs you use, if you want truly reliable function like the gun is supposed to have, your ports need to be correctly sized.

Exactly what I am saying!

• Like 1

"You're preaching to the choir, WaffenSchmeid. I drive an hour away out of state so that I don't have to put up with overcharging clubs or BS rules and am happy to do so."

POOR SOULS. I walk out my front door!!! :haha: Got to love Montana

We all hate you....

I saw some 40 ft long shipping containers for sale today.... hmmmm

Wanted: free phonebooks, lol.

Well.... the OP was talking about 'break in'. 'Break in' won't do it either if the ports aren't what they should be.

So, OP, buy some Dewalt Cobalt bits and get to porting :smoke:

The indoor range I shoot at is okay with shotguns, but as their back stop is ground up rubber they don't let people use birdshot or buck because of the potential for bounceback, according to the owner. All of the staff love the Saiga 12, and on the indoor 100 yard rifle range you can shoot anything up to 50 cal.

The indoor range I shoot at is okay with shotguns, but as their back stop is ground up rubber they don't let people use birdshot or buck because of the potential for bounceback, according to the owner. All of the staff love the Saiga 12, and on the indoor 100 yard rifle range you can shoot anything up to 50 cal.

I think it's great that they have to say "up to .50 cal". That implies that prople have brought shit larger than .50 cal to shoot indoors.

Hey honey! Pack up the kids & the howitzer! We're goin' to the range!:up:

I think it's great that they have to say "up to .50 cal". That implies that prople have brought shit larger than .50 cal to shoot indoors.

Hey honey! Pack up the kids & the howitzer! We're goin' to the range!:up:

Ha! Paul, let me remind you that a 12 ga. slug is CONSIDERABLY larger than .50 cal. Of course it is fired from a smooth bore barrel which makes it much "friendlier", even "warm and fuzzy"....

Mike