Any issues with shooting Wolf Ammo for .308??

I bought some 2 boxes of Wolf Ammo at a gun show yesterday and was wondering if any of you all had problems with it. I've heard the pros and cons, but that's been all heresy, but wanted to check to see if any of you had had problems.

Never used it before, I stick with cheap-o Russian Brown Bear. The only bad thing I've heard about Wolf Ammo is that it is dirtier that a Tijuana crack whore.

Edited by DrGonZo

The only problem I had is that I ran out.

I do like brown bear slightly more.

EDIT 7-17-10

I just wanted to mention that I never did shoot a grouping with wolf ammo. Most of my shooting with it was rather close range, it did cycle fine.

the site cheaperthandirt.com sells a lot of .308 brown bear ammo for $7.19/20rds, !!that's $.35 a round!!, trust me, this is by far the cheapest .308 ammo on the internet right now surplus or otherwise, I've been searching for sub $.40-$.50 ammo for a long time. Its cheap and dirty, but it's Russian and what our rifles love.

I bought some 2 boxes of Wolf Ammo at a gun show yesterday and was wondering if any of you all had problems with it. I've heard the pros and cons, but that's been all heresy, but wanted to check to see if any of you had had problems.

The problem that I have with this type of ammo is that the bullets are steel cased which is harder then cooper jacketed bullets, I am thinking of wear and tare of the barrel. There has been a lot of debate on this, and one member pointed out that the steel cased bullets are not that hard.

Unfortunately I do not have a metallurgical device to test this, so I stick with cooper jacketed... Another member, during the same debate, stated that the barrel is harden and tested by the Russians with this ammo.

So you have a lot to consider, nothing lasts forever.. Besides this the ammo is great goes bang every time I pull the trigger (I use it in my SKS) and as another member here said it is dirty...

Wolf absolutely WILL NOT shoot (accurately) out of my 16" EAA Saiga. Every round went "bang" (out of 1,000+rnds), but it key-holes every single fricken round at 100yds and spreads them all over the place (think 36" group).

That was even before I converted it and put a flash hider on it. It shoots surplus South African (1MOA) and Portugues (1MOA) and Indian (2.0 Moa), and Pakistani (1.5-2 MOA) and DAG (German) (1MOA) and Radway Green (Brit)(1MOA) and IMI (1.5-2MOA) and handloads (.75MOA) and every U.S. factory load (1-3MOA) just fine, but not Wolf...

And I worked to make it shoot... Took off the flash hider, recrowned the barred, cleaned between 3rnd strings, tried different lot #'s, etc...

I gave up on it...

If it works in your gun, buy an assload of it! It didn't work AT ALL in mine. That was my $300 lesson.

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

Wolf absolutely WILL NOT shoot (accurately) out of my 16" EAA Saiga. Every round went "bang" (out of 1,000+rnds), but it key-holes every single fricken round at 100yds and spreads them all over the place (think 36" group).

That was even before I converted it and put a flash hider on it. It shoots surplus South African (1MOA) and Portugues (1MOA) and Indian (2.0 Moa), and Pakistani (1.5-2 MOA) and DAG (German) (1MOA) and Radway Green (Brit)(1MOA) and IMI (1.5-2MOA) and handloads (.75MOA) and every U.S. factory load (1-3MOA) just fine, but not Wolf...

And I worked to make it shoot... Took off the flash hider, recrowned the barred, cleaned between 3rnd strings, tried different lot #'s, etc...

I gave up on it...

If it works in your gun, buy an assload of it! It didn't work AT ALL in mine. That was my $300 lesson.

Macbeau sends...

Ouch man...I hope I don't have the same issues. I'm supposed to get my gun back post-conversion this week, and I'm going to shoot this weekend. I'll let you know if I experience any of the same issues. Thanks for the info.

Zachary

I get around a 2" group @100yrds with Wolf and my 16" 308. I have not tried the Brown Bear.

You are the first person I've encountered that hasn't put ANY BB through their S308... 015.gif Its not bad at all. Its no Hornady or Lapua, but its pretty damn good for the price.