Folding stocks

I am looking into folding stocks and had a couple questions. I really like the look of a full stock that folds like an AK-74M but have been unable to find an AK-47 variant and was unsure if the AK-74 would mount to an S-12. Also I was looking at the Ace club stock. The damn thing is like my bulldog it's so ugly you want to play with it but, I was wondering if any one had any experience with the ace on an S-12. Thanks for the info.

I am looking into folding stocks and had a couple questions. I really like the look of a full stock that folds like an AK-74M but have been unable to find an AK-47 variant and was unsure if the AK-74 would mount to an S-12...

Any fixed AK stock meant for a stamped receiver will fit a S-12 right out of the box. If you want to use one of the factory folders, receiver modifications are necessary.

...Also I was looking at the Ace club stock. The damn thing is like my bulldog it's so ugly you want to play with it but, I was wondering if any one had any experience with the ace on an S-12. Thanks for the info.

By "Ace club stock", I assume you mean the Ace "Ultra Lite" model. It's a design that epitomizes function over form and people seem to either love it or hate it. I love mine:

stock21.jpg

stock41z.jpg

64789256.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

My two cents, I think the Ace folding mechanism is crap and it looks like an after thought. Does it work? Sure it does but not great, lock up is loose, and mine will attempt to fold under heavy fire. I took mine off and threw it in the garbage no way would I sell it to anyone else. If you are going to do it, do it right and put a new rear 5.5mm trunnion and polymer or rear deal Russian stock like the one below. I think the next best alternative is the stock and folding mechanism sold in the Saiga 12 store.

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Action/ImpactZone07102010/tac47-zenS12shellRakurz1.jpg

Again don't get your feelings hurt if you love your Ace folder it just isn't for me.

Edited by NinerRider

My two cents, I think the Ace folding mechanism is crap and it looks like an after thought. Does it work? Sure it does but not great, lock up is loose, and mine will attempt to fold under heavy fire. I took mine off and threw it in the garbage no way would I sell it to anyone else...

If the folding mech you bought exhibited those problems, imo you should have contacted Ace for a refund/replacement, because it was defective, and most certainly not representative of the vast majority of folding mechs produced by the company.

My Ace folder has none of those issues and I consider it to be a solid piece of gear.

My two cents, I think the Ace folding mechanism is crap and it looks like an after thought. Does it work? Sure it does but not great, lock up is loose, and mine will attempt to fold under heavy fire. I took mine off and threw it in the garbage no way would I sell it to anyone else...

If the folding mech you bought exhibited those problems, imo you should have contacted Ace for a refund/replacement, because it was defective, and most certainly not representative of the vast majority of folding mechs produced by the company.

My Ace folder has none of those issues and I consider it to be a solid piece of gear.

+1 Been running two for over three years now, both still solid as ever. My feelings arn't hurt but I do think you got a defective part.

Talked to Ace and to CSS about it and was told it was normal. Still looks like garbage so in the garbage it went.

You were told it was normal for the folding mech to try to fold while you're firing? :huh: Interesting.

Regardless, to each his own, but imo if you're gonna recommend em, you should warn the OP of the far more significant cost and hassle that first acquiring and then installing, (significant receiver mods), OEM type folders entails.. rather than just saying "Ace is shit, factory Russkie's the only way to go." :rolleyes:

I'm just sayin.. that's not something your average S-12 owner is going to have the mechanical inclination/skill or money for. Shit, what's TX-Zen's S-12 stock set-up cost? ~$700? If that estimate's high, it ain't by much.

Yeah I looked at the prices of the one in the pic and that's a few to many pennies. Looks good but I'm looking for something a little more economical that preforms good.

...I'm looking for something a little more economical that preforms good.

In my experience, (and that of many forum members), that's the Ace. Tromix uses them routinely on the S-12's they build. They didn't get the stellar reputation they have by using low-quality parts. ;)

While my ACE folding mechanism hasn't given me a single issue, I HAVE heard about a couple folks having the push button version get loose on them.

I suppose the one down side I could have with it is if I have it folding to the left, the mechanism blocks a side mount from sliding on. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Edited by Corbin

While my ACE folding mechanism hasn't given me a single issue, I HAVE heard about a couple folks having the push button version get loose on them.

I suppose the one down side I could have with it is if I have it folding to the left, the mechanism blocks a side mount from sliding on. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Well a few bad parts, (assuming all of those claims are valid), out of many thousands ain't too bad.

As for folding to the left and blocking the side optics mount, (most if not all side folding stocks do that), if you want the Ace to fold to the right, just flip the mech, (and stock). Takes maybe 5 minutes. ;)