I have been searching for a long time for the right AR-15 build.

I don't want to build my own, because they are a bit more complicated than Saigas and I just don't have the time to research the endless amount of information out there.

I also feel, a mistake because of ignorance in different kinds of parts for AR's would be less forgiving and I'd lose out on valuable time and money.

I also don't want to just purchase an AR and end up having to swap out the furniture because it's not quite what I want. This leads to spending more money than necessary and then having a pile of parts I do not want and may not have the time or motivation to sell.

After months and months of browsing I finally came across Spike's Special Edition Ar-15.

It has most of the basic features I want.

Gas Piston, 16" inch, Rail system that does not utilize a delta ring, and best of all, the Magpul furniture I specifically want.

The crazy thing is, it's fairly difficult to get just these simple things all in one firearm.

Rainier Arms has some decent rifles, but most have limited info and they seem to just deck them out in the most expensive furniture to drive the price up.

It gets old seeing a decent set up for $1200 - $1800 and then noticing it has a set of back up sights that are worth $300 - $400 retail.

It makes me wonder what I'm paying for.

Before I jump in to this, I'd like some feedback. If anyone has a Spike Firearm, please reply.

Thanks!

Edited by Nailbomb
Removed Non-Buisness Member Link

for that kind of money, get a Robinson Arms XCR or LWRC....a lot of people use their parts to build things, but buying a whole rifle (especially that kind of rifle) gets really expensive, like I said, get an XCR or LWRC

Edited by Vultite

That is one sweet rifle. I have pieced together a rifle using a Spikes upper and could not be happier. They are an excellent company and seem to stand behind their products. I'm by no means an expert on AR's especially the piston guns, but I think that is an incredible rifle and it has the Glock "melanite" coating to boot.

Look at AR-15.com, under industry. http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=282

Keep us posted.

That is one sweet rifle. I have pieced together a rifle using a Spikes upper and could not be happier. They are an excellent company and seem to stand behind their products. I'm by no means an expert on AR's especially the piston guns, but I think that is an incredible rifle and it has the Glock "melanite" coating to boot.

Look at AR-15.com, under industry. http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=282

Keep us posted.

Damn, thanks so much. I always forget to check the AR sites.

I am not a fan of the XCR.

I think I am almost convinced to get the spike's rifle, unless someone has it and gives a bad review.

An LWRC later, maybe. I hear good things and they make some quality looking rifles.

I just do not like when a site is nice and flashy looking but give very standard info on their rifles.

I don't need flashy, just info. Not really a deal breaker, just a pet peeve.

I should know the ins and outs of something I am going to spend a lot of money on.

Drop an obscure measurement and I'm almost sold.

Thanks all for the info.

I'll re-post with my decision when I can make up my mind. :unsure:

AR-15s are super easy to build. Just go on youtube and look up the DIY videos on how to assemble the upper and lower. While deployed i order all the parts and had a rifle put together in about an hour after I got all the packages open.

Two trickiest part is the pins in the trigger assemble and the pins that keep the cross pins from falling out :unsure: Build your own gun, you'll get exactly what you want. :super:

I also built a left handed AR using a Stag Arms upper. Stag makes fairly bare bone rifle but they're great rifles for the money.

ARs are like legos.

I've got a few Spike's AR lowers, a 9mm SBR upper, and a dedicated .22LR SBR upper. Each perform very well. I went with Spike's because of the value for the given product. I have not been disappointed.

My wife and I went on vacation to FL this winter. We landed in Orlano, so Apopka wasn't too far away. On our way to Anna Maria island we stopped in to see the folk's at Spike's. I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasently suprised. Everyone was super friendly. "Uncle AJ" showed us around the faciility. Mike/Spike took time out of his busy day to say hello to the visitors from 2000 miles away. In the end I walked out of the shop another $250 short. They threw in two shirts (one for me one for the Mrs.). Still trying to save up for their Billet upper/lower combo. Good folks with great products and even better customer service. You can't go wrong.

The guys at AR15.com are crazy about Spike's. That being said, maybe you could buy a more stripped down AR and then add the accessories as you go. That's a pretty penny to drop down on a rifle that you will probably end up changing something on anyway. Seems about the only brands they like much more are BCM, Colt. Your money though.

all i can tell you is that the guys at spike`s tactical are great guy`s,i was at the tampa ,fla, gun show about a month ago and they let me play with his personnel acr and grenade launcher.he spent time explaining everything to me and i couldn`t spend a dime at the time,as i spent all the money i had on 7.62&39 ammo.their products are top of the line and their guys are also!

Spike's is good stuff. Bought a stripped lower recently for $69 going to try and peice it together when I'm off next week. Been saving to order their new railed LE mid lengh 16" upper. Should be able to buy in a week or 2.

Thanks for all the comments.

I think I will make a buy and then do my own build.

I'd probably be more comfortable doing that so I can have something to work off of and know what I want.

I have been wanting to build an AR with a billet upper and lower for a while, and I may just get something and get comfortable with it.

BTW, awesome avatar!

Edited by theplastik

You need to post some pictures of that rifle. If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a complete rifle from Spikes. I purchased a DPMS M4 first and then had a little buyer's remorse. I have since built a stripped lower with a Spikes upper and love it.

You need to post some pictures of that rifle. If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a complete rifle from Spikes. I purchased a DPMS M4 first and then had a little buyer's remorse. I have since built a stripped lower with a Spikes upper and love it.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting it.

I just can't find anything remotely as good.

Stay tuned for pics in a few weeks.

Sweet! I know it's expensive, but I really thinks it's a good value. The AR stuff adds up quickly. What optic are you going to run?

Sweet! I know it's expensive, but I really thinks it's a good value. The AR stuff adds up quickly. What optic are you going to run?

I haven't decided yet. I was considering an aimpoint, but I may just settle for a primary arms red dot.

I have four spikes lowers I bought and built 3 rifles and 1 pistol and I love them all the fit and finish is great.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys.

I'm ordering Monday. Stay tuned for pictures next week HOPEFULLY.

I have the Primary Arms Microdot mounted on my Spikes Upper. I am very pleased with it. Spend the extra money and get the Daniels Defense mount. The Primary Arms mount is a little weak.

I am going to get the primary arms microdot gen 3.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the priamry arms mount.

I like that the PA mount is quick disconnect.

What makes the quality so bad?

I have four spikes lowers I bought and built 3 rifles and 1 pistol and I love them all the fit and finish is great.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys.

I'm ordering Monday. Stay tuned for pictures next week HOPEFULLY.

I have the Primary Arms Microdot mounted on my Spikes Upper. I am very pleased with it. Spend the extra money and get the Daniels Defense mount. The Primary Arms mount is a little weak.

I am going to get the primary arms microdot gen 3.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the priamry arms mount.

I like that the PA mount is quick disconnect.

What makes the quality so bad?

The PA mount has a little "play" in it. When I do the AR shake it moves a little. I was expecting it to be rock solid. I've heard the DD mount is rock solid.

The PA mount has a little "play" in it. When I do the AR shake it moves a little. I was expecting it to be rock solid. I've heard the DD mount is rock solid.

Thanks for lookin' out. I will probably just get the DD one. There really isn't any huge purpose in quick disconnect except convenience.

Thanks for lookin' out. I will probably just get the DD one. There really isn't any huge purpose in quick disconnect except convenience.

No problem, I wish I would have put the 30 towards the DD in the first place. I seem to never learn my lesson. I have a DPMS M4 before I built my Spikes rifle.

I wish I had that 850 back plus what I have put in my Spikes build. I would be getting the Spikes piston gun too. I think you are ahead of the game going this route. I saw the Bushmaster piston gun....a lot more money, and I would choose Spike's over it!

If you build it yourself you can pick the parts that you want. I am going to build SBS(11.5" barrel) gas piston.

I probably going to use Mega Machine lower and upper.

billet-set-2-1.jpg

Mega-6.jpg

Mega makes good stuff, give us some pics on your build when you do it. I'm still up in the air between a Mega Billet lower or Spike's new billet lower...

Mega is the sheeeeeeit!

I love their stuff. Even though "guns are tools, who cares what they look like?".......my regular aluminum Mega lower came to me from the factory looking better than any lower I've handled. I also like the little "gator grip" on the magwell. I don't use a magwell hold when shooting, but it still looks cool.

Funny thing is, their main business is making airplane parts. They only make runs of AR parts in their down-time. They should just open up a firearms branch and go at it full-time.

Mega is the sheeeeeeit!

I love their stuff. Even though "guns are tools, who cares what they look like?".......my regular aluminum Mega lower came to me from the factory looking better than any lower I've handled. I also like the little "gator grip" on the magwell. I don't use a magwell hold when shooting, but it still looks cool.

Funny thing is, their main business is making airplane parts. They only make runs of AR parts in their down-time. They should just open up a firearms branch and go at it full-time.

Yeah but when a gun functions well and looks pretty.....

Mega is the sheeeeeeit!

^ That's pretty crazy. I didn't know this. :eek: ^

OFF TOPIC...

I got a little crazy at the Gun Show again today.

Got enough ammo to last through the winter, some extra magazines, a bunch of magpul stuff and an Saiga 7.62.

I'm kind of regretting it since I just figured out the Saiga 308 fires 7.62x39 also. :cryss:

But oh well. Maybe I will convert it and trade for a 308.

med_gallery_23795_509_29024.jpg

Either way, my Spikes Tactical Special Edition is ordered and should be here before the end of the week.

I will post pics as soon as it arrives, since it was requested.

I'm contemplating putting on my old red dot that is a bit cheesy looking.

Edited by theplastik

Mega is the sheeeeeeit!

^ That's pretty crazy. I didn't know this. :eek: ^

OFF TOPIC...

I got a little crazy at the Gun Show again today.

Got enough ammo to last through the winter, some extra magazines, a bunch of magpul stuff and an Saiga 7.62.

I'm kind of regretting it since I just figured out the Saiga 308 fires 7.62x39 also. :cryss:

But oh well. Maybe I will convert it and trade for a 308.

med_gallery_23795_509_29024.jpg

Either way, my Spikes Tactical Special Edition is ordered and should be here before the end of the week.

I will post pics as soon as it arrives, since it was requested.

I'm contemplating putting on my old red dot that is a bit cheesy looking.

The .308 does not fire the x39.