Stock handguards

I went to friends house to go shooting for the day.

Put 200 rounds of birdshot through it in rapid succession.

The plastic got too hot to hold on to and I thought we had started to melt it.

I took it off but it didn't melt at all :(

Has anyone ever melted their factory handguards?

Edited by KillDozer

Quote " I took it off but it didn't melt at all : ( ." End quote.

You say that as if it is a bad thing. Not sure why you would want your factory handguard to melt.

I was just curious and thought it had started to melt by how hot it was to the touch.

Ive had mine so hot you couldnt touch it and no sign of melting. They are designed to take major heat and wear without damage. I still say go with an aluminum tri or quad to be sure though!

Definately, that's why I didn't mind if they were melting.

Shotguns run cooler then rifles. Its hard to have enough mags to get much melting. You would need a wheel barrow to haul that many mags around with you.

I don't see any event ever happening where melting the stock handguard is likely.

Now if you have a half dozen 20s for a .308 you can almost melt the plastic off.

I don't know if this is the case... but I would guess that they would make the hand guard out of a thermoset polymer... if so it will never melt. It could burn if gotten hot enough, but not melt.

What he said. I have gotten my rifle and shotgun factory handguards too hot to touch, and no signs of melting. I think your skin will melt long before the handguards will :D