Not as pathetic a question as it sounds. I had hoped to add a few Saigas to the armory but I may only be able to add one for a few years. This will be first AK owned, only semi-automatic rifle as I sold off my ARs. I have plenty of other rifles for the looming zombie apocalypse, but my previous experience with the soviet arsenal has piqued my curiosity in Saigas.

So which caliber Saiga rifle would it be if you could only have one?

Well, if the russians invade, there will be a lot of 5.45x39 around. :ded:

The 7.62 is fun, magazines are cheap(er) and ammunition price is reasonable.

I went from the 12 gauge, then got the 223 and finally the 7.62.

To be honest, I never cared for the 223, it was just a great price.

Plus, a bro called dibs on the 7.62 and I was nice enough to buy the 223 rather than both at the time.

I'll probably never play with the S223 anymore, as I have just gotten my Spikes SEBR.

The 7.62 is all around a great rifle and so far as I can see, I'll expect to get less hassle with it in the conversion and modification process.

The 12 gauge is best in my opinion, although parts prices and complaints tend to be highest.

I'll expect to get less hassle with it in the conversion and modification process.

That explains why you do not have to cut out a Trigger hole, or a Pistol Grip nut hole on the 5.45. :031::unsure:

I'll expect to get less hassle with it in the conversion and modification process.

That explains why you do not have to cut out a Trigger hole, or a Pistol Grip nut hole on the 5.45. :031::unsure:

You don't have to cut any holes on a 7.62 either. Nor the 223.

Some of the rifle receivers are similar, if not the same.

I meant, I expected less hassle because I wanted to get an AR magazine adapter and that requires a bit more modification, but saves money in the long run.

Although, I could just pick up AK magazines and a bullet guide for the 7.62 for less than the Ar adapter in itself.

It seems like 7.62x39 ammo is a bit more abundant, especially when buying locally also.

Although their prices can be comparable, I've seen 5.45 for a bit more.

I think Mississippi Auto Arms has a few 7.62 left for a great price... jump on one now.

You won't be able to find a 5.45 for a few months, and the remaining 7.62s will probably dry up before we get another boatload from Izzy.

I like the 5.45 better because of cheap ammo (corrosive) and better accuracy. But 7.62 mags and ammo are more available and if you ever wanted to use it for hunting, the bigger caliber is the way to go.

I think I need another saiga. I am on the fence about what to get. I have a 12 and a 308. I was thinking about waiting for the 5.45's to come back in stock.

Sometimes I think get the 7.39, because ammo for the 5.45 may not be so plentiful some day.

I feel that I may end up getting one of each rifle.

The 5.45 seemed like a good idea until they disappeared.

The 7.62 is awesome, if you don't mind that everyone else has one. I really don't.

It's fun to shoot, the recoil isn't bad, and you can really put down some lead down range, plus the ammo is fairly cheap.

My next will probably be a 7.62x39, my next choice would be between the 223 or the 308. I already have a Saiga 5.45 and a Bulgy 5.45. I do like the fact that you can find ammo for the 7.62 even in Walmart now days around where I live. It also is good enough to hunt with.

In my opinion wait for a 5.45

I just love that round.

Best case scenario would be for you to get a 7.62 and a 5.45 as once you have one, you'll want the other to go with it.

In my opinion wait for a 5.45

I just love that round.

Best case scenario would be for you to get a 7.62 and a 5.45 as once you have one, you'll want the other to go with it.

That seems to be the problem, I can't stop getting new rifles. Maybe I should get rid of a min-14 and an AR and get both.

By the way I miss Iowa, I will be out there is a few weeks to visit. Got to love the Midwest women, I use to live in Davenport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think get the 7.39, because ammo for the 5.45 may not be so plentiful some day.

There aren't many domestic manufacturers making 5.45 in volume yet (Hornady making VMax 5.45 the only one I know of). Additionally, very few reloading books have data on the cartridge.

But it is gaining popularity in the AR and AK platforms and when we have several US brands to choose from that make it stateside (i.e. Winchester, Federal & Remington), I think it will be as widely accepted as the 7.62x39 is now.

However, Russian and surplus 7.62x39 was impossible to find and it took several months to get it in stock after the Obamania hit. However, you could still find tons of the $20/box Winchester and Federal if you needed it during that time!

The 5.45 is fun to shoot, but the 7.62 is still a more versatile round to me that I would feel comfortable using for self-defense or hunting purposes. Plus the cost of 7.62 is finally down to where the 5.45 has been for a while. Yet 5.45 still takes some searching at most gun stores to find ammo and online vendors have to charge enormous shipping charges which makes 7.62 still the better buy for me.

• 1 month later...

I went 762x39 Saiga 1st.. (back in 7/2009 it was $469... ouch..).. still love it and have it :killer:

Prices on the Wolf/Tula ammo and Golden Tiger ammo make this VERY affordable.

I agree with most as the 762x39 is THE original AK round.. and it's .30 cal..

I then got the 545x39 Saiga in Feb 2010 (for $329).. and its TIGHT groups are VERY interesting.. ammo is CHEAP also..

Then I got the 308 with 21" barrel in July 2010.. which is a KICKER for sure.. but has LOTS of possibilites..:ph34r:

Al