BHO Finally Failed

Well, I was waiting for it to happen and it did, the bho jammed up inside the receiver because of the spring slipping off of the tiny ledge on the bho itself. I've been out of the loop for a while and I know there really aren't a lot of options with the bho other than removing it. The question is, is there any way to ensure that spring will not slip off?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I know there really aren't a lot of options with the bho other than removing it.

Removing it is a hack, not a solution.

The question is, is there any way to ensure that spring will not slip off?

Yes a very easy fix is to simply swipe the area that the spring leg rests on with a file to create a snug little indention for the spring leg to call home. I did this so lightly on my '08 gun that I couldn't even feel the indention, but the gun has since flowed thousands of rounds of ammo without any BHO hickup.

The FCG doesn't even need to be removed to do this. Just remove the safety lever & cam, then rotate the BHO up so you can reach the bend that the leg rests on.

• Like 2

Bend the leg of the spring too so that it hooks over the above mentioned notch. The only way it'll come off after that, is if you take it off.

I also stuck a small metal clip to the trigger pin between the trigger and the BHO to eliminate any wobble. Probably over kill but, that SOB isn't going anywhere now.

Same thing happened to me this weekend. Sure was a bitch to get the bolt to close so I could fix it.

Mine was too... the spring had fallen down and was blocking the hole in the bottom of the receiver, blocking the bho from being pulled down so the bolt would close. I ended up extracting the spring through the hole and working the bho back down. It was a definite pain in the @$$!

on a conversion I just did I didn't put it back in because I had some concern about it doing this type thing. I've had it happen once it a butt load of shooting over 2,000 rounds and I was trying to eliminate any future failures. only problem is it's a right handy thing to have and I miss it on the gun. I'm still thinking about notching the selector lever to lock the bolt, depending on how that goes I may have to go back and put it in the gun. we'll see how it all pans out in time.

Well, I was waiting for it to happen and it did, the bho jammed up inside the receiver because of the spring slipping off of the tiny ledge on the bho itself. I've been out of the loop for a while and I know there really aren't a lot of options with the bho other than removing it. The question is, is there any way to ensure that spring will not slip off?

The notch pictured;

BHOnotch2-1-1.jpg

But you'll still have issues hitting it when firing.

I'm waiting for Tom's LRBHO's reviews & will likely go that route.

Well go figure within the same night that I first read this thread mine ended up doing the exact same thing. I fooled forever trying to get it back into place but eventually I went and bought a Kobalt Hook and Pick set at Lowes for five bucks. Within two seconds I managed to pull the spring and put it back into place. But as everyone else has mentioned I cut a small groove into the BHO so it won't slip back off. Hopefully more info on Tom's LRBHO will come out soon and I will go with that if it's not too pricey.

Has anyone here just pulled out the BHO and notched the actual safety mechanism? The reason I ask is because I have big hands an when my finger is on the trigger the BHO hits my finger, it's just annoying.

Add a washer to take up the extra space if you do...

The answer to your question... YES.

Has anyone here just pulled out the BHO and notched the actual safety mechanism? The reason I ask is because I have big hands an when my finger is on the trigger the BHO hits my finger, it's just annoying.

Yep. Mine did just that. The BHO was a bad idea and worse execution. Sure if you dick around with the thing you might get one to work most of the time but notching the safety does the same thing without the stress of wondering if it will hang up again.