"Pulling the trigger" on my S-12 conversion

A year-and-a-half ago, I bought an S-12 from my local Big R retailer. I paid out the nose, I later discovered, but I love the gun anyway. Up until now, I've not had the funds to get the parts for the conversion (bought a house, etc). Anyway, I'm pretty sure I want to go with the CSS conversion kit #3 or conv. kit #2. I just can't decide.

Now, I have a Tapco T-6 stock on my SKS, and while I like it, the way the buttstock slants downward has always bugged me. Looks like it does the same thing on the Saiga. I like the looks of the Tapco, but I think the utility of the side folder would be better for what the gun's purpose would be, which is a "room broom." It's also slightly cheaper (I have exactly $151 to spend on this to include shipping, lol).

So, for the S-12 experts, which stock would be better?

Now for another question. I don't mind the stock forearm on the gun, but I would like to mount a rail to it for installing a TLR-2 and maybe a vertical grip. Is it possible to just screw a couple of Picatinny rails to the factory grip?

If you were just using a tac light I'd say you could possibly "screw" something to the current forend. But I think you're taking a risk trying to do the same thing with a vertical foregrip.

Save up for another week and get the kit that adds the Intrafuse front handguard.

If you stop and think about it, the rails are bolted onto the Intrafuse hand guard by the purchaser, I have one.

Two little 8/32 bolts on each rail is all that holds them on, so in reality if a guy was on a tight ass budget, he could just buy some rail and put them on the factory handguard, IMO.

Thanks for the replies. I may just go with the light. I'm able to place my hand against the mag and hold the gun pretty stable as it is.

Now, for the stock, which would you pick? Collapsible or a folder?

I use the collapsible. Just personal preference

I have the Tapco handguard.....Light isnt mounted in photo.....bracket for that is arriving tomorrow :super:

I like the Folder stock....took my Tapco off...nowhere near as solid as the TROMIX folder.....

You gotta post pics somewhere.

I think you'll be the first to have a laser tactical light on an S-12. (LED Lenser)

& no guys... Not a combo. The Lenser really is a laser projected through a lens to widen it for use as a flashlight.

I have the Tapco handguard.....Light isnt mounted in photo.....bracket for that is arriving tomorrow :super:

I like the Folder stock....took my Tapco off...nowhere near as solid as the TROMIX folder.....

You gotta post pics somewhere.

I think you'll be the first to have a laser tactical light on an S-12. (LED Lenser)

& no guys... Not a combo. The Lenser really is a laser projected through a lens to widen it for use as a flashlight.

Will post...absolutely....

Knew there was some reason I loved those things as backup eyeball-fryers... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just got off the phone with Carolina Shooters. Very helpful fellow took my order. I ordered Conversion Kit #3 in black with the Tromix trigger guard.

My understanding from him is that I need no additional parts for the conversion, as I thought I needed a modified "bolt hold open" plate. He said the Shepherd's Crook eliminated the need though. The video didn't show this part. I'm going to have to back and look again.

Hopefully have my parts in a couple days :)

*ETA*

Was going to get the hand guard but decided at the last minute to forgo that for now, but I definitely will be getting it and a different muzzle brake in the future.

Edited by kadetklapp

Well, just got off the phone with Carolina Shooters. Very helpful fellow took my order. I ordered Conversion Kit #3 in black with the Tromix trigger guard.

My understanding from him is that I need no additional parts for the conversion, as I thought I needed a modified "bolt hold open" plate. He said the Shepherd's Crook eliminated the need though. The video didn't show this part. I'm going to have to back and look again.

*ETA*

Was going to get the hand guard but decided at the last minute to forgo that for now, but I definitely will be getting it and a different muzzle brake in the future.

I would recommend exchanging the tapco saw grip for the MD Arms Merlot grip. Much better grip comfort and durability and probably cheaper. Not sure why you want the old school tromix trigger guard but imo the css version (same price as well) seems much more substantial. Also: if you wish to retain BHO function and are right handed you will need to order a modified BHO or cut the factory BHO so you right trigger finger does not set the BHO after every round (crazy annoying). If you don't mind losing this feature just leave the lever out and substitute for a few washers available at your local Hardware store.

ETA:

Not sure what bearing the shepards crook has on the choice of BHO. Someone please explain.

Edited by Chowderhead72

*ETA*

I would recommend exchanging the tapco saw grip for the MD Arms Merlot grip. Much better grip comfort and durability and probably cheaper. Not sure why you want the old school tromix trigger guard but imo the css version (same price as well) seems much more substantial. Also: if you wish to retain BHO function and are right handed you will need to order a modified BHO or cut the factory BHO so you right trigger finger does not set the BHO after every round (crazy annoying). If you don't mind losing this feature just leave the lever out and substitute for a few washers available at your local Hardware store.

ETA:

Not sure what bearing the shepards crook has on the choice of BHO. Someone please explain.

Hmm. I wish I had this info prior to ordering. I bought the Tromix guard simply because I liked the looks. Functional wise I didn't think there would be any difference. As for the grip, I like the saw grip, and I didn't see another option. As for the BHO, I was told no other parts were necessary, as I specifically asked about this.

Well the conversion is "done." Done being a relative term. Basically a number of things went to shit that shouldn't have. Someone at the "Traktor Faktory" must have been hitting the potato vodka pretty hard because the bottom screw on the factory buttstock was completely over tightened to the point where I couldn't use a power drill to remove the screw. I just ended up destroying the head and my bit. Ended up literally using my Sawz-All to cut the buttstock apart behind the comb and then drilling thru the screw. Literally the stupidiest problem I had that cost me a ton of time. There were a plethora of other issues like the tiny drill bit with the Tapco buttstock breaking off inside the stock, round rivet heads not cooperating with the drilling process, etc.. So I got one screw holding the buttstock on, no screw holding the new Intrafuse handguard on (can't find it) so as of right now, it's display only. However, the part I figured would be the hardest (that being the internals and firing mechanisms of the gun) was pretty simple, the shepherd's crook and the BHO spring install being the hardest part but not too bad!

I did this at my kitchen table with no liquor (damn), no bench vice (highly recommend), a surely wife, and a cat that wouldn't leave me alone. If I can pull this off, anyone can.

.308 is next after purchase!

Edited by kadetklapp

And here it is:

mysaiga12.jpg

Shot about 20 rounds thru it today just as a function test. This thing is PUNISHING to my shoulder, I don't know wtf is going on with that, but I'm going to have to find a pad for this buttstock. I mean, it just HURTS. I ran a mix of low-brass Federal bird shot, Super X slugs, Super X 00 Buck, Winchester Magnum Turkey loads, and some 3" slugs. This thing ran everything with no trouble really. I had one fail-to-feed and I believe that was a magazine issue, and I had one where the gun wouldn't return to battery after firing a round. I looked down to see what the problem was and then the bolt suddenly rammed home, so something must have just got hung up a little bit. My shoulder couldn't take too much more of the magnum loads so I called it a day. The Tapco SAW grip screw walked out almost completely after my last mag. I had to go home and put more thread locker on it so we'll see how it does next trip out.

You need weight. You have a lighweight stock, a lightweight fore end and you are shooting a heavyweight load. It is going to hurt..... Also did you set the gas regulator on "1" before shooting 3" slugs and turkey loads? A muzzle brake will help a little but a heavy tri-rail like the Kross helped mine alot. I have shot over a hundred 3" slugs, 00 buck, and #3 xtreme in less than a haf hour with no pain or bruising. Weight is your friend..

My chubby little heffer:

DSCF0493.jpg

Edited by Chowderhead72