Remove the rear sight for bird hunting???

Do any of you remove the rear sight for bird hunting (not talking about turkeys)?

I am going to try the Saiga at one of my dove hunts for the heck of it.

Bird hunting shotguns generally just have a front bead.

I'm thinking the rear sight will just confuse my sight picture.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. :beer:

Personally, I wouldn't remove it, but if you do, there's a couple aftermarket options if you decide you want a rear sight back. The stock rear sight is a pain to get out without cutting it. You REALLY have to smack it hard. Like it opwes you money. :boxing:

Corbin

P.S. I suppose another option would be to go with a red dot on your shotgun. Nothing is faster, I found.

i guess i must have been lucky, my rear sight popped right out with a few good solid whacks! thanks goodness too b/c i took it off to mount the chaos rail but i took the top rail off til i get my sights and was able to slide the factory sight right back in!

Naaaa...sights are sights, if you know where your POI is in relation to POA, you're golden.

Exactly this.

Go PRACTICE.

Buy a box of clays and GO PRACTICE. It is so much fun anyway.............:super:

I also like a clean sight picture "bead". BUT Cobra is right.

Best

Frosty

Do any of you remove the rear sight for bird hunting (not talking about turkeys)?

Thanks

You better check your game laws before taking it in the field for doves. Most states have it in their laws no more than 3 shell capacity for game birds.

Thanks

You better check your game laws before taking it in the field for doves. Most states have it in their laws no more than 3 shell capacity for game birds.

Oh, yeah this is true as well.

Here are three possible ways to deal with that:

1) Put an appropriately sized dowel rod in your 5-rounder to plug it up enough to only hold 2 rounds.

2) Buy a Surefire 2-rounder from CSS. I have one but fiddling with it with some snap caps and live rounds, I don't think it allows 2+1, only 1+1.

3) Buy a factory 2-rounder from SaigaStock. They're expensive but they're factory.

I have a Surfire 2-rounder that we'll hunt with.

But we'll show the new gun (with conversion installed) to the group with the 20 rd drum for effect!

Thanks for looking out for me though.

I'll definately try the gun with the rear sight installed before I remove it.

Thanks for the heads-up about how difficult it can be to remove.

I was just tapping the wealth of knowledge here before I did something I'd regret.

I have a Surfire 2-rounder that we'll hunt with.

But we'll show the new gun (with conversion installed) to the group with the 20 rd drum for effect!

Thanks for looking out for me though.

I'll definately try the gun with the rear sight installed before I remove it.

Thanks for the heads-up about how difficult it can be to remove.

I was just tapping the wealth of knowledge here before I did something I'd regret.

If you decide to remove it, and you get it out without damaging it, you could try using a dremel to cut away some of the material so it will be easier to put on and take off. You'd probably want to drill and tap a really small hole through it so that you could use a hex lock screw when you put it on to get it zero'd and lock it down...