Bolt carrier assembly

Recently I purchased a saiga 12, after reading reviews and posts in this forum for a long while. After learning the tips and ins and outs, I decided to break her in. I went to the range numours times was firing the federal 12 muti purpoe with no issues. ( was ejecting great, out of 500 rounds 3 failed to eject). Then on my last visit to the range, I had bought 2 agp 10 round clips. they were working good, then what I noticed is the gas rod was broken and holding my carrier open. After wating through the weekend, I called RAA and was pleasantly surprised that they agreed to fix this at no cost to me at.( so now im waiting for my gun) My question is could or would the new agp 10 round clip have anything to do with the failure of the gas rod breaking off the carrier? Should I be worried that this might happen again? Thanks

post-26983-069796800 1285027953_thumb.jpg

Recently I purchased a saiga 12, after reading reviews and posts in this forum for a long while. After learning the tips and ins and outs, I decided to break her in. I went to the range numours times was firing the federal 12 muti purpoe with no issues. ( was ejecting great, out of 500 rounds 3 failed to eject). Then on my last visit to the range, I had bought 2 agp 10 round clips. they were working good, then what I noticed is the gas rod was broken and holding my carrier open. After wating through the weekend, I called RAA and was pleasantly surprised that they agreed to fix this at no cost to me at.( so now im waiting for my gun) My question is could or would the new agp 10 round clip have anything to do with the failure of the gas rod breaking off the carrier? Should I be worried that this might happen again? Thanks

I take it that your gun was NOT converted.

As far as the AGP mags being a link to the piston breaking............NO.

500 rounds..................any heavy buck, slugs, heavy turkey loads for this "break in"? Or was it just Federal multipurpose for all 500 rounds?

Its nice to hear that RAA took care of you they are supposed to. It may leave others wondering about their S12's that have been converted and this same incident may happen to them. Hence my questions at the beginning.

Best

Frosty

Firstly,

clipmag.jpg

Secondly, to reiterate what has been stated above, no, the AGP mags have nothing to do with it.

Instead of sending it in for repair, have you considered maybe it was just your shotgun telling you it wants to be an SBS?

• Like 1

what would be a "proper break in"???? I just got an S12 and am almost nervous after seeing numerous threads about broken bold carrieres.........???? advice?????

thanks

Shoot it.

Sometimes shit happens.

Cadiz will probably fix it.

Personally, I used buck shot and slugs to break her in...

500 rounds..................any heavy buck, slugs, heavy turkey loads for this "break in"? Or was it just Federal multipurpose for all 500 rounds?

Its nice to hear that RAA took care of you they are supposed to. It may leave others wondering about their S12's that have been converted and this same incident may happen to them. Hence my questions at the beginning.

Best

Frosty

Thanks for the input, No it has not been converted yet, still in the "sporster" original configuration. As for the mag/clip, sorry for the ignorance. Also about 100 rounds of the 500 were super x slugs. Im releaved that this was not a MAG issue.

Best

Frosty

Thanks for the input, No it has not been converted yet, still in the "sporster" original configuration. As for the mag/clip, sorry for the ignorance. Also about 100 rounds of the 500 were super x slugs. Im releaved that this was not a MAG issue.

One more thing is that when i called, Th rep stated that this was a rare occurance ( something like 6 in 40,000 rifles sold) and was very helpful. One of the first questions was if the saiga had been converted.

If you want to convert you can always do what I did and have it converted by Cadiz.

Eventually I will convert, But first I think break in time is more important.

Very wise of you, you will do well here.

From what I've seen that problem is a bit of a rare one, I've only heard of that happening two or three times before reading your post.

I doubt you'll have to deal with that problem ever again...

I think I remember reading a post by Tom (@ Cadiz), that some '08 guns have had problems like this and it is covered by warranty . What year is your gun?

09 manufacture stamp, The only explaination for this (to me), would be a defective part. Either a weak spot in the steel, or rod over torced into carrier. As long as its covered under warranty!!!

So if those of us who have converted theirs have problems like this, are we pretty much screwed? I think I read somewhere that no spare parts are being imported and when warranty work is done, they have to cannibalize another Saiga, correct? Would hate to have to spend another $500+ on a new gun just to fix a broken bolt carrier.

So if those of us who have converted theirs have problems like this, are we pretty much screwed? I think I read somewhere that no spare parts are being imported and when warranty work is done, they have to cannibalize another Saiga, correct? Would hate to have to spend another $500+ on a new gun just to fix a broken bolt carrier.

The bolt carrier did not break, the "piston rod" broke. There two different pieces. nThere are a couple people on the forum who have some for sale. nYou can find spare parts you just have to ask around here.

If the carrier were to break, which isn't the case here, it could be welded together & made to work.

The bolt carrier did not break, the "piston rod" broke. There two different pieces. nThere are a couple people on the forum who have some for sale. nYou can find spare parts you just have to ask around here.

I think Selph-arms may have said he has some, try Cadiz too of course.

If all else failed & one needed but couldn't find a push rod, any small run machine shop or any hack with a lathe for that matter could spin you one out in a matter of minuets from good stainless rod.

Edited by Paulyski

If the carrier were to break, which isn't the case here, it could be welded together & made to work.

If all else failed & one needed but couldn't find a push rod, any small run machine shop or any hack with a lathe for that matter could spin you one out in a matter of minuets from good stainless rod.

I;m not sure if a converted saiga makes you screwed for warranty, I was just saying what was asked of me. Also the my carrier got messed up also. When the rod broke, it broke at the threads in the carrier, which "warped and or widened" the carrier threads. It was no longer a circle but more like an oval.

post-26983-079163300 1285524338_thumb.jpg

quick question along the same topic, is it normal to have a little play in the piston rod where is attach's to the carrier? i can hold the carrier and wiggle the piston rod back and forth just slightly. i haven't thought about it till now but couldn't that play cause it to eventually break in the same manner as this one did?

A little flex is normal. It shouldn't rattle or be overly loose though.

I've only seen a couple S-12s break that way, but I think one was the carrier cracking, now that I think of it. I believe it was the result of a rather overgassed gun. I'm not an expert though and I'm only going on memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

For the wobble between the piston and the carrier though, that's normal.

I;m not sure if a converted saiga makes you screwed for warranty, I was just saying what was asked of me. Also the my carrier got messed up also. When the rod broke, it broke at the threads in the carrier, which "warped and or widened" the carrier threads. It was no longer a circle but more like an oval.

When you removed the broken piece out of your carrier did you drill out the detents on either side of the carrier? There punched to keep the rod in place. If you did not it would screw up the threads and carrier.

When you removed the broken piece out of your carrier did you drill out the detents on either side of the carrier? There punched to keep the rod in place. If you did not it would screw up the threads and carrier.

Well, the broken rod removed itself. It broke! The other piece of the rod that was left stayed in the carrier .I didn't do anything after that but take out the carrier and broken rod, then called for warranty.

Edited by Apekiller