Tannerite's fun stuff

So, as I mentioned awhile back, I have some Tannerite and some creative ideas on how to use it.

Here's the result of a 1lb Tannerite target shot with 7.62x39 after being placed inside an old, extremely solidly built desktop PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_t_OnW-DTY

It's not visible for long in the video, but a ~18"x20" piece of debris took off from the blast and flew over our heads and vehicles; bout 40 ft up, flew for maybe 100 yrds. I thought at the time, "wow, that piece really flew, musta been some plastic". Then we investigated the debris and found it to be a twisted, mangled piece of steel, (one entire side of the desktop casing). :eek:

Yeah... we'll stand further back next time. :D

More videos to come in the following weeks, (while the Tannerite lasts)!

Very cool PA! Have you tried it with your S12, or does it require higher velocity rounds?

Mike

There is a reason it says on the label "shoot at 100yds"

It is something you can just buy, it may or maynot be legal where you are though.

As for the 12 gauge slug? I don't know I haven't hit any with anything less than a .223, the original video for mixing instructions shot the bottles with various pistol calibers (through pistols and carbines) and the mixture did not go off.

Very cool PA! Have you tried it with your S12, or does it require higher velocity rounds?

Mike

I haven't tried shooting it with anything but 7.62x39. When it comes to 12-ga ammo, I tend to doubt that anything except a slug would have even a chance of working, and I don't know that a slug would do it, due to its (relatively) low velocity.

From the manufacturer's label: "Shoot no less than 100 yards with high powered rifle"

I've been wanting to try this stuff for a while. They actually had it at cabela's the last time I was there. It was just labeled "exploding targets" though, but I'm assuming it's tannerite. It came in the same tubs and everything. I had a pound of it in my hand but put it down cuz I figured it wouldn't be a big enough boom. Well...I guess I'll have to go back and pick some up B)

Here's a vid of another 1lb Tannerite target I shot, (with Golden Tiger FMJ 7.62x39 if anyone cares).

I don't know if the mixture was "off" or if it was the lighting conditions, but the resulting fireball seems unusual, given most of the video I've seen of these targets going off. *shrug*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rziTtp1Rdjw

Edited by post-apocalyptic

It is, but this stuff is "boomer-ite", I'm at 1:48 BTW

Yeah I missed on the first shot not used to peep sights.. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6lxLvHyA0

Great vid, man! :super:

Were those 2lb targets or something? :unsure: There seemed to be more "boom" per target than I've gotten from my 1lb ones.

I cannot remember the weight of them, some of them were 2 or 3 charges on top of each other.

I helped during the cleanup, due to BATFE rules I cannot touch the charges themselves, but I can clean up the mess afterwards, plastic bags, boxes, etc.

If I fill out the correct forms I may be able to help setup next year... thats fun too.

BTW Oleg Volk was there taking pictures of the event.