Bought a new Siaga 7.62 and have some questions

I purchase a new Saiga rifle 7.62 for $380 otd with all the fees and taxes (made in Russia & Indiana I guess). Seem like a good deal. Here is my questions for a newbie. :)

If I put a pistol grip on, I am no longer compliant for California?

Do I need a special scope to fit my rifle or just go and find one I like?

Are there special mods needed for pistol grip or just remove the screw and add?

How many compliant parts can we have?

Thanks everyone! Great site.

Edited by Siaga7081

I think you should spend some time and read a little bit.

Every one of your questions has been covered here dozens of times (and most of'em are to be found in the stickies).

BTW, the Saiga isn't made in Indiana, but imported by a company located there. It's 100% made in Russia.

• Like 2

Every one of your questions has been covered here dozens of times (and most of'em are to be found in the stickies).

BTW, the Saiga isn't made in Indiana, but imported by a company located there. It's 100% made in Russia.

With all you typed above, you could have just posted some help. I know its the internet and you get all walks of life, but I am a newbie as stated above.

So, its all Russian then. Thanks. Good to know, thanks for that knowledge.

Anyone else care to help an old guy out?

Edited by Siaga7081

With all you typed above, you could have just posted some help. I know its the internet and you get all walks of life, but I am a newbie as stated above.

Dont take it the wrong way. He is trying to help. Cali laws can be a big headache for a new firearm owner looking to do mods/restorations.

He is correct. If you look through many of the stickies all the info is there. It might take awhile and can be a headache(trust me I know) but it is all there.

I for one will let others answer your Kali questions because is many others here that know more than me. Be patient and im sure some one will help you.

Dont take it the wrong way. He is trying to help. Cali laws can be a big headache for a new firearm owner looking to do mods/restorations.

He is correct. If you look through many of the stickies all the info is there. It might take awhile and can be a headache(trust me I know) but it is all there.

I for one will let others answer your Kali questions because is many others here that know more than me. Be patient and im sure some one will help you.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll sit tight.

From the reading, looks like I need 5 compliant parts. Link below counts as 2 (3 left). Which I like the setup. Question if you know? By going with 5 compliants parts, do I now need a mag lock?

$54 No mods needed. Direct bolt on.

http://store.carolin...NTRAFUSE/Detail

STK07160BLACKAV1.jpg

TAPBT6.jpg

Edited by Siaga7081

I can tell you that 98% of the folks who've bought one of those "no mods" stocks has later regretted the decision and done a conversion (no, bolting on the no-mods stock isn't "converting").

Take some time and read this forum. You'll be better for it.

• Like 3

I can tell you that 98% of the folks who've bought one of those "no mods" stocks has later regretted the decision and done a conversion (no, bolting on the no-mods stock isn't "converting").

Take some time and read this forum. You'll be better for it.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe some who has done it and then regretted it can reply? Price is good and is simple to do. At this phase of the game, I am open to all opinions.

Found these reviews.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS509-6.html#Reviews

Edited by Siaga7081

another place to learn about what you need to be legal in cali is calguns.net. dont forget your aspirin for when your headache sets while reading through the cali laws. when you are ready to learn more about the conversion process, there are lots of us that can assist you with the know how. There are lots of threads about saiga use in cali also.

ps. its spelled saiga ;)

I used to have a tapco t-6 saiga stock like that on my rifle and let me tell you its far better to do the conversion. The tapco stock will get you by but the rifle feels so much better if you move the trigger group forward and throw a regular ak grip on it. More balanced. As far a cali laws go. I would wait for someone else to reply. Check the side of your rifle. Does it have a funky plate that sticks out from it a bit on the left side. If so you can buy a scope mount and picatinny rail on it and use whatever scope you want. If not then some people buy ultimak gas tubes and throw red dots on them. I personally am using irons for now. May throw a red dot on eventually. Good luck though these are fun guns. Also good luck with the minefield that is cali gun laws.

another place to learn about what you need to be legal in cali is calguns.net. dont forget your aspirin for when your headache sets while reading through the cali laws. when you are ready to learn more about the conversion process, there are lots of us that can assist you with the know how. There are lots of threads about saiga use in cali also.

ps. its spelled saiga ;)

Good catch. I corrected it in the body, couldn't in the heading.

I used to have a tapco t-6 saiga stock like that on my rifle and let me tell you its far better to do the conversion. The tapco stock will get you by but the rifle feels so much better if you move the trigger group forward and throw a regular ak grip on it. More balanced. As far a cali laws go. I would wait for someone else to reply. Check the side of your rifle. Does it have a funky plate that sticks out from it a bit on the left side. If so you can buy a scope mount and picatinny rail on it and use whatever scope you want. If not then some people buy ultimak gas tubes and throw red dots on them. I personally am using irons for now. May throw a red dot on eventually. Good luck though these are fun guns. Also good luck with the minefield that is cali gun laws.

It does.

post-27031-042623200 1285630768_thumb.jpg

It does.

The Saiga specific T6 setup is really only good for getting 922 compliance quick and easy. Stick it on, slap in a US made 30 round mag, and you should be 922 compliant.

I used a t6 Saiga setup early on, and then decided to do it right. I have restored 6 or 7 since, and each one turns better then the last.

Since you are in California and have a 10 round mag limit, wait and do the restoration right.

The stock Saiga trigger is meant to be used with a Monte Carlo style stock, as the stock trigger pull is more upward.

Tapco, & Texas AK triggers are design to be pulled directly back against the pistol grip. Night and day difference between the two.

Edited by Geo

ps. its spelled saiga ;)

Ok, fixed the name too. Wow, real brain fart!

I also started with the intrafuse system. Let me tell you, after I did the full restoration I couldnt have been more please. While the Tapco t6 system was a quick go, I felt like I was lacking some thing. It just wasnt living up to what I wanted.

The trigger on the factory Saiga is.....lets just keep it simple. SHITTY. The trigger will be much better after. You just cant believe how much of a difference it makes.

Also the rifle just feels awkward and not evenly balanced with the T6 system. You cant really notice without handling two side by side. It makes a world of difference after conversion.

I was very hesitant to do a conversion when I first joined. But I found TONS of help here. watched videos and dove in. I will never look back. It is great.

And lets all be honest......it just looks like a monkey fuckin a football. :haha:

Here is my rifle before with the t6 and after. You really can tell the difference with them side by side. Now its she much prettier. :)

Edit to add: I also would not personally go for the tapco intrafuse hand guards......I like to fire my ak like it was meant to be fired and lets just say, the tapco hand guard doesnt like heat. I melted it off. :angel:

post-21803-020931200 1285636802_thumb.jpg

post-21803-064740400 1285636824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chevyman097

I also started with the intrafuse system. Let me tell you, after I did the full restoration I couldnt have been more please. While the Tapco t6 system was a quick go, I felt like I was lacking some thing. It just wasnt living up to what I wanted.

The trigger on the factory Saiga is.....lets just keep it simple. SHITTY. The trigger will be much better after. You just cant believe how much of a difference it makes.

Also the rifle just feels awkward and not evenly balanced with the T6 system. You cant really notice without handling two side by side. It makes a world of difference after conversion.

I was very hesitant to do a conversion when I first joined. But I found TONS of help here. watched videos and dove in. I will never look back. It is great.

And lets all be honest......it just looks like a monkey fuckin a football. :haha:

Here is my rifle before with the t6 and after. You really can tell the difference with them side by side. Now its she much prettier. :)

Edit to add: I also would not personally go for the tapco intrafuse hand guards......I like to fire my ak like it was meant to be fired and lets just say, the tapco hand guard doesnt like heat. I melted it off. :angel:

Light on the bottom front? Where did you get that?

Light on the bottom front? Where did you get that?

That is a Surefire G2 LED. And its mounted with a Command Arms UFH 5 position mount.

Not sure of correct names. But, the "rails" the flashlight adapter connects to "UFH3". Where did you get the rails that have that bolt?

I just did too. I'll try it. If I am not happy, I will just convert it as well.

I bought a "no-mods" bolt on for my first saiga, and regretted it. The balance was terrible, the trigger still sucked, and the gun looked awful. I converted about two weeks later.

My advice to you, in CA, is to not convert the rifle. I know you want a cool looking military style gun and all, but I don't get the point of having a pistol grip and telescoping stock if you need three hands to reload the gun. The bullet button adds far more disadvantage to your rifle that outweigh whatever benefits the pistol grip add IMO.

Get an Ultimak M1-B rail, it replaces your gas tube in the front and provides a rail to mount optics on. Buy a nice red dot like a Primary Arms Micro Dot or a long eye relief scope with a fixed 2-4x power magnification. Spend whatever else on a pile of nice Izhmash 10 round magazines. You will have a better rifle that is a fairly accurate, light and handy, and at least reloads like a normal gun and can be used in the field.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. But the way I see it, putting the magazine lock on in order to use a pistol grip, is like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

There's a reason why the CA legislature doesn't care about features once you completely neuter the gun with a magazine lock. :(

• Like 2

I just did too. I'll try it. If I am not happy, I will just convert it as well.

I bought a "no-mods" bolt on for my first saiga, and regretted it. The balance was terrible, the trigger still sucked, and the gun looked awful. I converted about two weeks later.

My advice to you, in CA, is to not convert the rifle. I know you want a cool looking military style gun and all, but I don't get the point of having a pistol grip and telescoping stock if you need three hands to reload the gun. The bullet button adds far more disadvantage to your rifle that outweigh whatever benefits the pistol grip add IMO.

Get an Ultimak M1-B rail, it replaces your gas tube in the front and provides a rail to mount optics on. Buy a nice red dot like a Primary Arms Micro Dot or a long eye relief scope with a fixed 2-4x power magnification. Spend whatever else on a pile of nice Izhmash 10 round magazines. You will have a better rifle that is a fairly accurate, light and handy, and at least reloads like a normal gun and can be used in the field.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. But the way I see it, putting the magazine lock on in order to use a pistol grip, is like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

There's a reason why the CA legislature doesn't care about features once you completely neuter the gun with a magazine lock. :(

The rifle was bought soley for if the #### hit the fan. Nothing more. I have others for the range and what not.

Only there so its legal in the safe.

I like this one. Going to add a light holder and light and call it.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-61/SAIGA-forearm-rifle-tri-dsh-rail/Detail

Better? :)

Edited by Saiga7081

The rifle was bought soley for if the #### hit the fan. Nothing more. I have others for the range and what not.

Only there so its legal in the safe.

I like this one. Going to add a light holder and light and call it.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-61/SAIGA-forearm-rifle-tri-dsh-rail/Detail

Better? :)

Depends, really. I am not a big fan of lights on rifles as I cannot picture myself having to/wanting to clear rooms with it. Seems more of a shotgun role to me. Something like the Saiga would be better suited for mid range shooting with a low power scope or red dot. That's a nice forearm though, light and durable with a nice grip, but I'd still rather use the Ultimak gas tube rail and a Primary Arms red dot. I am assuming SHTF is a sudden kind of thing and I'd hate to be messing with tools trying to remove a bullet guide while the zombie hordes are approaching. At that point's it's gotta be lock and load IMO! :lolol:

CSS has the Ultimak rail, http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-152/Ultimak-ak-dsh-47-Saiga-gas/Detail you can either cut away some of the factory handguard or get a retainer and AK handguard. I used to run it with part of the factory forearm cut away, it is a great setup, has a nice clean look and is comfortable. It also co-witnesses with the irons so should the red dot fail, you can still use the iron sights.

post-21696-017048900 1286151752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov