Head of the piston making contact on the gas tube

I noticed in some videos that when the bolt is released slowely it "catches" about an inch before seating. So today I noticed where it was hanging up when I had the gas plug off looking at my ports. The end of the piston makes slight contact on the bottom of the gas tube then rides up and into position. This doesn't seem to be affecting anything but it is 2 sharp edges making contact at a high rate of speed normally. Any thoughts on this?

Don't baby your Saiga.

More "issues" have popped up due to folks "babying" [aka "slowly easing the bolt carrier into battery"] than Carter has peanuts.

Run your gun like it was meant to run, and quit looking for problems that don't exist :)

I noticed in some videos that when the bolt is released slowely it "catches" about an inch before seating. So today I noticed where it was hanging up when I had the gas plug off looking at my ports. The end of the piston makes slight contact on the bottom of the gas tube then rides up and into position. This doesn't seem to be affecting anything but it is 2 sharp edges making contact at a high rate of speed normally. Any thoughts on this?

That's all in the normal operation of the gun. It's designed for it, kinda like how a top-fuel dragster isn't built to idle, it's built for full-throttle runs, the same thing here, if you aren't making noise, something is wrong... :super:

usually when you ride the bolt down it is "catching" on the extractor on the bolt locking into battery. it could be your piston but thats not normal i dont think. if you you look closely at the extractor while closing the bolt you might find this is what is "catching".

ETA. also as stated above they do like it rough!! no need to be gentle with it. i beat the living hell out out of mine yesterday removing and reinstalling the gas block and it barely made a scratch!

Edited by big-J

usually when you ride the bolt down it is "catching" on the extractor on the bolt locking into battery. it could be your piston but thats not normal i dont think. if you you look closely at the extractor while closing the bolt you might find this is what is "catching".

ETA. also as stated above they do like it rough!! no need to be gentle with it. i beat the living hell out out of mine yesterday removing and reinstalling the gas block and it barely made a scratch!

I did look at the extracter when I first got it and was inspecting the bolt and didn't pay too much attention to the last little catch it had because I planned on running it like an AK. It was when I was later checking my gas ports to see how many I had that I tipped the puck out and then looked in the gas block at the same time I had inadvertantly pushed on the charging handle with my right hand and when I let off I noticed the piston hit. There is enough play in the piston where it mounts to the the bolt carrier that it does ride up on and into the gas tube and not slam it head on and then up and over so it should be ok I was just trying to see what others had experienced with this.

Thanks guys.

I had the same 'problem' on my gun as well. Polishing the lugs on the bolt, the locking chanels on the receiver and the chanel on the carrier solved it. It still can hang up if I slowly ease the carrier forward, but it will now snap home if I push on the handle or tap the side of the gun,

It's an AK and REQUIRES a MANLY breaking in.

Do not think for a second it requires pussified inspection and Elmer Fudd hand wringing with the chicks from 'The Vue' wimpering and offering to change Miss Saiga's panty pad.

• Like 1