Port on the gas block

What exactly does the port on the back corner of the gas block do? I was looking at mine and I noticed that the plug blocks the hole when it's all the way back. Is this whole to vent gas at the end of the stroke? I'm just curious and haven't seen much about the function of this port

post-20691-063906900 1286909134_thumb.jpg

What exactly does the port on the back corner of the gas block do? I was looking at mine and I noticed that the plug blocks the hole when it's all the way back. Is this whole to vent gas at the end of the stroke? I'm just curious and haven't seen much about the function of this port

Vent tappet

Don't plug

So it just vents the gas when the puck is all the way back?

When hot gas pushes the piston back, the air behind the piston has to have a place to vent, or it will create resistance to the piston's rearward movement. Plugging the hole prevents the air behind the piston (puck) from venting.

When hot gas pushes the piston back, the air behind the piston has to have a place to vent, or it will create resistance to the piston's rearward movement. Plugging the hole prevents the air behind the piston (puck) from venting.

Funny I just got done reading the "vodka special" write up and couldn't figure out why they would completely weld up the hole. I could understand maybe making the hole smaller but to weld it up all together? That gas has to go somewhere.

Funny I just got done reading the "vodka special" write up and couldn't figure out why they would completely weld up the hole. I could understand maybe making the hole smaller but to weld it up all together? That gas has to go somewhere.

it goes somewhere mostly past your puck and into youre gas tube. leave it alone.

• Like 1

Many weapons have a vent like that.

Yes, as many others have said already leave it alone and don't block it.

Some people will cover it up with a rail system and such and it will cause the weapon to malfunction.

The stock hand guards do cover the hole but flex just enough to allow the gas to escape.

Best

Frosty

Ummmm..... there is a bit of bad info in that thread. I'll just keep it simple by agreeing with those that say leave the hole be. No offense intended to the author of that thread. I do understand that the intention was good.

it goes somewhere mostly past your puck and into youre gas tube. leave it alone.

I agree, there is plenty of room for the air behind the puck to vent down the gas tube even if you plugged up that hole. The problem is that all the crap would blow down your gas tube as well. Look at how the gas block is set up. The piston and gas tube are offset toward the top of the gas block, the vent hole is at the bottom and is actually drilled at an angle downward. IMO that vent hole is there so any crap that gets past the puck will get blown down and out the vent hole rather than going down the tube.

Edited by Shadoh

Ummmm..... there is a bit of bad info in that thread. I'll just keep it simple by agreeing with those that say leave the hole be. No offense intended to the author of that thread. I do understand that the intention was good.

Trust me when I say that everything i've read on this site so far I take with a grain of salt and use my own common sense and judgement.

I've read just about everything on here and a thread usually starts out in 05 with "this is the shit" or "here is how to do this"

only to read up to present day and find out that it wasn't the way to do it.:devil:

kinda nice having waited this long to get a saiga.:super:

• Like 1

Trust me when I say that everything i've read on this site so far I take with a grain of salt and use my own common sense and judgement.

I've read just about everything on here and a thread usually starts out in 05 with "this is the shit" or "here is how to do this"

only to read up to present day and find out that it wasn't the way to do it.:devil:

kinda nice having waited this long to get a saiga.:super:

A huge +1 on that thought.