Off Topic: ACOG for Buddy in the Box

Hey guys,

Sorry for the off-topic thread, but I figure this is a great place to ask and that people wouldn't mind too much. I've got a buddy who just shipped over to the box who is asking for an ACOG and a rail-mountable bi-pod for his A3.

Anyone know where some good deals can be found on the net?

Thanks!

i bought my acog from optics planet..TA31F

bastards are expensive tho..sometimes more than the rifle you are mounting it on. ebay might have some deals, but when i buy optics and accessories i want brand new stuff. i know military and LEO get a discount tho.

check onpoint firearms, they have good prices on ACOG's, $976 for a TA31F, just checked.

ETA, i forgot to mention that you have to pay join a VIP program @ $4.95 a month BUT can just sign up and cancel befor next month and still save a chunk of change. plus they have some of the best prices ive seen on some things so it may be worth it to just keep the membership.

also im pretty sure this should be in general discussion.

Edited by big-J

Is he military or civilian? If he's military, he may not be authorized to mount it on his duty weapon anyway. (If he was authorized, they'd issue it to him). How does he plan on bringing it back? If he tries to mail it, it will get snagged by the postal folks in the military post offices as weapons related items like that are prohibited in the outgoing mail to prevent theft from the government. They do go through your packages before you close it up and mail it out. If he is military, he may have a chance carrying it back home. Different story if he is a contractor. Iraqi and Afghan customs will take it in a heartbeat. Guys moving back and forth are losing armor, magazines, etc. Most will either sell or trade to another contractor or have someone in country hold the items for them until they rotate back. Hope he is either prepared to lose it or never get to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is he military or civilian? If he's military, he may not be authorized to mount it on his duty weapon anyway. (If he was authorized, they'd issue it to him). How does he plan on bringing it back? If he tries to mail it, it will get snagged by the postal folks in the military post offices as weapons related items like that are prohibited in the outgoing mail to prevent theft from the government. They do go through your packages before you close it up and mail it out. If he is military, he may have a chance carrying it back home. Different story if he is a contractor. Iraqi and Afghan customs will take it in a heartbeat. Guys moving back and forth are losing armor, magazines, etc. Most will either sell or trade to another contractor or have someone in country hold the items for them until they rotate back. Hope he is either prepared to lose it or never get to use it.

I just got out after 4 1/2 years and i've been deployed b4 to Iraq. He has nothing to worry about. He will eventually get the opportunity to go to a FOB (forward operating base) where they get PLENTY of opportunities to send mail if he so choses to mail it back. If he doesn't plan on mailing it back, there is pretty much no chance that it would get taken by customs (which is ran by the U.S. Navy and Airforce by the way) if he had it in personal bag of belongings. They don't regulate what would belong to the military or not (unless of coarse he has an AT4, grenade, or M4 packed in his bag) if it is in your person al bag. The safest bet for him (pass this on) would be for him to let his company armor know that he has it and when coming back home, that it is what would be considered a "sensitive item" and to pack it in the tuff box along with the rest of the items that belong to the military(weapons, optics w.e.) and ONLY tagged in a special way that he would recognize it. Such as to have it engraved with his initials/name, mark it with a paint marker unlike any other, or purchase/paint it another color so it can not be "mistakingly stolen".

Move this thread to another forum.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

And Predator, he's military filling a SDM role. I haven't asked him about shipping it back or regs for his unit (I figure he asks, he gets), though I will be sure to do so to make sure he's aware of the issues.

Thanks again!

He's military so he's good. I was just concerned he was a contractor and chanced losing it.

They're expensive because they are good scopes and they are even more expensive because the military buys them :lolol:

They are soo expensibe cause they are irreperably known for the durability. It can be dropped, bashed and smashed while attached to your weapon and still keep a zero. Also cause I think they use red tritium..nwo sure about that though. For the longest time it blew my mind while a 4x non adjustable rifle scope which I THOUGHT used JUST a fiber optic fiber that leads to the reticle, would cost WELL over $600! :killer: (what Trijicon used to sell them for and probably still does)

I just got out after 4 1/2 years and i've been deployed b4 to Iraq. He has nothing to worry about. He will eventually get the opportunity to go to a FOB (forward operating base) where they get PLENTY of opportunities to send mail if he so choses to mail it back. If he doesn't plan on mailing it back, there is pretty much no chance that it would get taken by customs (which is ran by the U.S. Navy and Airforce by the way) if he had it in personal bag of belongings. They don't regulate what would belong to the military or not (unless of coarse he has an AT4, grenade, or M4 packed in his bag) if it is in your person al bag. The safest bet for him (pass this on) would be for him to let his company armor know that he has it and when coming back home, that it is what would be considered a "sensitive item" and to pack it in the tuff box along with the rest of the items that belong to the military(weapons, optics w.e.) and ONLY tagged in a special way that he would recognize it. Such as to have it engraved with his initials/name, mark it with a paint marker unlike any other, or purchase/paint it another color so it can not be "mistakingly stolen".

Move this thread to another forum.

I came through navy customs about 9 months ago and there was a lot of bad info going around before we got there. They did not give us any hassle about mags of accessories for our weapons. they won't let you mail any of that stuff though. The ACOG is a great scope because its tough and its simple. The only thing I would like to change is that they only have about 1.5" of eye relief. I like more, sometimes the scope is right on your glasses before you can get the whole sight picture.