Help understanding slugs/Sabots

I just got my S12 back from being converted and it looks and shoots amazing! But I was just introduced into sluggers and sabots.

I have a 24" barrel smooth bore, no choke. I can put the choke adapter in and then get a rifled choke, but does that count as a riffled barrel when most sabots says "specifically designed for riffled barrels"

So if you guys could help me out that would be awesome.

What is the highest velocity sabot I can shoot in the s12, and are there jacked // lead free sabots I can shoot with the riffled choke.

Last thing I want to do is blow the new gun apart.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a super general explanation of what a sabot is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

Basically a shotgun sabot is a sub caliber projectile usually a .50 cal HP sitting in a plastic cup that provides a seal with the barrel so you don't have to worry about lead fouling or what the projectile is made of since it never touches the barrel. Putting sabots through a smooth bore is a waste of your money.

Factory loads are not hot enough to damage your gun. I think the rifled choke will do the job but nearly as well as a dedicated rifled barrel.

Agree with Rusty Truck, a smooth bore with rifled choke tube isn't the best way to get a sabot to shoot well. It won't hurt anything to try, other than your wallet, since most sabots cost more than simple lead slugs.

A sabot with a full-length rifled shotgun barrel gives good 100+ yard accuracy.

I have some high speed footage of some sabots being shot through a smooth bore with a rifled choke. It appears that by the time the sabot reaches the rifled choke, it is moving too fast to engage the rifling properly. The lands just strip a layer of plastic away rather than impart any spin. The sabot separates properly but the projectiles pitch up and keyhole the target from only 3 feet.

Considering that the original rifles were merely rifled barreled muzzleloaders, I wonder when,

the various game and fish commissions and the various departments of wildlife will finally say

ok, we're within 0.1% of a rifle now anyway, let's let em use what they want for deer hunting.

I mean, Indiana, my current state, only allows muzzleloaders, shotguns, and pistol cartridge rifles.

They're afraid some deer hunter (in a tree stand) will magically shoot UPWARD and the round will fly

three miles away and hit a school. They're all about "oh, this state is really flat, so we can't allow

centerfire rifles."

Now, I'm from Florida. Flor-e-da. The state that's 50 feet tall on a good day. You don't get any flatter

than Florida. They let people use whatever the fuck they want down there. 30-06? Good to go.

But not Indiana. Here we have to fuck around with .44 mag lever action marlins, or break action rifled

slug guns, or some black powder pain in the ass. Ugh. I spent 20 years hunting deer with an ought six.

Maybe I'll just bring mine up here, blast one off the back porch, and blame the Saiga. Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. NY is shotgun only. I don't miss the bureaucratic retards. A rifled barrel for your shotgun is basically a loop hole to turn a "modified" shotgun into a so-so rifle. It really shows the absurdity of legislation.

If you're spending the money to buy sabots get the barrel to go with it.

I have 3 barrels for my 870. Slugs out of your S-12 should be pretty good. Get some good sights, find what slugs work the best and go for it.

If you want to get the most out of a shotgun get a shotgun with a dedicated rifled barrel.