Saftey over travel

What is everyone doing about the safety going too far into the dust cover? As soon as the safety bump passes the edge of the receiver it slips farther til it makes contact with the cover and makes it a bitch to slide back to fire. I figure if I get or make one w/ the larger thumb grip on it it'd be fine. But the saftey still doesn't need to go that far.

I used the dremel with a round fat engraving bit, kinda looks like a burr bit. just ground a detent in the receiver, probably 3/16 in dia. Ive heard others using a drill bit.

gotta be careful using the dremel(or drill bit) mine got away from me ONE TIME and made a nasty little line but its no big deal. just had to paint over it.

it works really well now, you have to push it pretty hard to accidentally slide past the detent. plus I can work the action with it on safety.

it would work even better if i hadnt ground the knot on the back side of the safety to try and keep it from rubbing the reciever.:unsure:

Edited by big-J

If it bugs you that much, you could weld a little spot about 1/8" from the end on your trigger leg, then use a dremel to adjust it to make it a stop, so it can travel no farther forward....

And yes...

I'm the one that came up with that fix. :smoke:

On the Tromix guns, I Tig weld a post on the top of the right hand trigger leg. That makes an internal stop for the upward safety travel.

I am not sure if Paul came up with it first. I have been doing it since October of 2007.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 1

On the Tromix guns, I Tig weld a post on the top of the right hand trigger leg. That makes an internal stop for the upward safety travel.

I am not sure if Paul came up with it first. I have been doing it since October of 2007.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Okay... You beat me to it... :up:

But I did come up with it on my own. :)

I've not seen anybody else post the fix until after I did close to a year ago.

And, no Fumes... You have the trigger's axis pin removed to create enough room for the safety to come out