All shell's hit charging handle, Slo Mo video

I took some video of my new PMR-30, and took my S12 along as well. Good thing, as the PMR-30/CCI .22WMR "blew up" on the 3rd mag.... I caught it on HD video, but I wish I had been shooting slo mo. Anyways.

When I watched the S12 video, I was surprised to see that the ejected shell is smacked by the charging handle on it's way back forward. Every. Time. Other than accelerated wear of the finish on the CH, it hasn't been a problem and I don't think it will ever become one. It fires Federal w/o a problem; in fact, that's what I was shooting in the videos.

The gun is self-converted:

Polished internals

Vltor stock adaptor.

MOE with 3/4" riser

Chaos Quad w/HK

MD Arms V-Plug (pos #3 for slugs/buck/high brass, pos#5 for low brass/value pack)

Wolff 18 1/2 lb variable rate 1911 spring http://www.brownells...R_SPRING_18_1_2_

I wonder if the spring has anything to do with it? Subjectively, the gun feels "smoother" with it when compared to the OEM spring... I changed the spring in an attempt to get the V-Plug more in the center of it's adjustment range, but I missed the mark. My next order will include 14 lb and a 16 1/2 lb springs. Here's the videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbMj-hF7XY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn04V4c0sjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeMY85j5j20

The last video shows that you are slapping the trigger. OK with a shotgun, but poor practice for accuaracy. Just pointing it out.

Slo mo reveals a lot! :angel: In my defense, I will say that (especially) during the slo mo I was going as fast as possible in order to keep the length of the videos managable....

I've read in these forums that the shell is ejected forward (x)feet @ 2 o'clock. Now I understand why. I understand why it doesn't eject forward with full power rounds too.

At 2:45 in my video I use 3" Mag Nitro Turkey's and they eject more to the side

Full power round give the system more gas and work the action faster than light bulk pack loads. This causes the gun kick out the full power rounds harder making them fly out to the right more.

The reason the light loads are hitting the charging handle is because the system is getting just enough gas to cycle, them making them dribble out the side and get thrown forward when charging handle comes forward and hits them.

What bag is that you are resting your gun on in the videos?

Looks like one I wanna pick up from CheaperThanDirt.. :)

Good eye!

MOLLE-200, 42" IIRC.... It's a well made case and an MD-20 fits in the center pocket.

Edited by mammynun

Nice footage. Hopefully the 'overgassed preachers' won't come in here telling you that your ports are too large :rolleyes: It is befuddling how many people think that the carrier is to never touch the trunnion during operation.

Mine pitches the hulls consistently at 2:00 from 5-8 feet away. Federal Multi-purpose bulk and Winchester Universal bulk.

Got the same bag in tan,,,,along with the MD20 in the center pocket, 12 round drums fit perfect in the two other pockets. Interesting vid, thanks for sharing. After moving the changing handle to the left side on my gun, some of the low power ammo I shoot ends up about 3' to my side and slightly behind me.

Got the same bag in tan,,,,along with the MD20 in the center pocket, 12 round drums fit perfect in the two other pockets. Interesting vid, thanks for sharing. After moving the changing handle to the left side on my gun, some of the low power ammo I shoot ends up about 3' to my side and slightly behind me.

After reading through this thread, i was wondering if moving the handle to the left side would have any negative effects. I didn't know if it was a design feature to use the handle as a shell deflector such as that on a Ar-15.

Im guessing nothing major, other then the low brass rounds ejecting more like falling out 2-4 o'clock. Doesn't seem to be a big issue right?

edited for spelling and grammar :rolleyes: .

Edited by nolite310

No negative effects that I know of, everything functions as it should. For me, it feels a lot more natural having the charging handle on the left side and not having to remove my right hand from the grip next to the trigger (without reaching over the top of the gun or turn it on it's side).