The 100rnder looks obnoxiously long; I'd rather have a C-mag. Seems like they are definitely going to beat Magpul to market. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out; whether Magpul will jump ship on the quad-stack PMAG (I doubt it) and how the two will stack up (no pun intended :rolleyes: ) against each other. Either way, I'm definitely down for a 60rnder when they arrive.

One thing in the article that bothers me is the claim that they can "be stored indefinitely while fully-loaded, since they won’t take a spring set." That doesn't take into consideration lip-creep, which is the #1 concern with aluminum body mags.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster
  • Like 1

I gotta stop trying to respond to some of the threads on this site so early in the morning. I had a great post building about why you guys were always posting questions and comments about ALASKA (AK) and ARKANSAS (AR), when the light went on in my 68 yr old brain that said... "OH, Never Mind" :super:

• Like 1

I like the concept, but it is hard for me to get excited about spending $129 for the equivalent of two $9 magazines.

If they were $30 to $40, I would probably try one of the 60 rounders.

I also find it ironic that these are made in a state that considers possession of one a felony.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

What amazes me is that no one seems to take into consideration how much weight that puts on the mag catch. Much as I love the AR, one of its weak points is the strength of the straight-in magwell design as opposed to the rock-n-lock on an AK. Two things stick out in my mind:

A. The near-total cultural migration over to ambi-everything has resulted in some very useful but (from my POV) structurally weakened design elements, one of the most notable being the Norgon ambidextrous mag catch. From what I understand all new M16s going to the USMC are equipped with it now. I really like that it uses a standard extractor spring, but the tiny little pivot pin and bosses give me cause for concern when you're moving around with 4+ pounds of ammo hanging from it.

B. The C-mag has proven quite reliable and hasn't broken off any standard mag catches (that I've heard about) but you have to consider physics. The C-mag puts all of its weight right around the middle of the weapon. The center of gravity half way down a fully loaded 100rnd quad stacker on the other hand is like hanging a giant pendulum off the bottom of the rifle; not only is that gonna hamper maneuverability but swinging it around is going to put a lot more stress on the magwell and mag catch. Combine that with the weaker design of most ambi mag catches and I expect to see a lot more out-of-service weapons and smashed feet. :beaten:

Or maybe I'm paranoid and wrong and it'll work just fine, but I'd still rather have the C-mag if only for size and maneuverability concerns (and I refuse to run an ambi mag release until someone comes out with one I have more structural confidence in.) Also I think the 60rnd mags will be very practical and well received; the AN-94/AK-74 quad stacker proved the viability of that idea.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster

I don't see a semi-auto application for this or a C-mag. We used C-mags a when they first came out to utilize a Rifleman as an Automatic Rifleman as we did not have SAWs at the time. Honestly, I would rather have a shitload of 30 rounders than that thing hanging off a rifle as I can change them fast enough you'd think I had a 300 rounder on it. The military market for C-mags died with the SAW becoming prevalent and I don't forsee Surefire selling very many to the government even though this article says they will. We do not try to use a rifle/carbine for an Automatic Rifle anymore. I agree with CSM, too much weight on that mag catch considering it was initially designed using 20 rounders. If I am slinging 100 rounds of 5.56, I'd rather it be in a nutsack on a M-249. At least you are not breaking weapon parts carrying your ammo on that weapon.