20" VS 16.5"

Been lurking around for a few months and I have a few questions.

As far as accuracy and velocity is concerned is their any difference between the two barrel lengths?

Old way of thinking longer barrel= increased velocity and accuracy.

Any chrono numbers and target photos with those tests would be nice.

Some time within the next few weeks I will be placing my order for my Saiga through Arms of America. It must have dimples, NO chamber step, and have a threaded barrel. Any thing else i should look for?

Edited by 7.62x39mm

My understanding is that the 7.62x39 round was designed to maximize out of a 16 in h barrel. 20 inch barrels are more accurate only because they give you a longer sight radius. I seem to remember a forum member doing chrono's on 16 and 20s several year ago. If I remember right, it was less than 40-50 fps difference. 20 inch AK is too long.

I have been getting 1-2MOA at 50yds and average 3MOA @ 100yds(some under but it is probably luck)! Using iron sights on my stock Saiga.

Edit:

BTW: my Saiga is a 1-2009 production with the step(no problems reloading though) and no signs of a threaded barrel!

Edited by Bigtwin

2 MOA is very good for a military rifle. Most M4 profile barrel AR's only shoot 2 MOA, despite what AR owners will tell you. If you have reasonable expectations of your rifle you'll be pleased, but a semi automatic carbine just isn't going to shoot like a match grade bolt action. If your X39 is pushing 2 MOA then be happy, that's a fine rifle you've got. 3-4 is realistic and accurate enough for 99.9% of engagements you'd ever be in. Practically, how often do you intend on shooting at 100 yards or more?

Long story short, stop worrying about bench rest accuracy with an AK. People spend all this time and effort (not to mention money) trying to eek an extra half MOA out of their rifles when they should be out practicing hitting targets under stress. Go run around for a half mile and then shoot your gun. Then run around for another half mile and shoot an AR. Then you'll stop worrying about accuracy because you'll see they shoot exactly the same under pressure.

• Like 2

Might I suggest setting up a Tabuk style(http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=194) Saiga with 20" barrel.

Note that the article mentions a 23" barrel but that includes flash suppressor. And if length is an issue, BULLPUP it. This is my intent, but your needs may vary.

Imagine a DMR with a 75rnd drum. :angel:

Edited by BpS12

Might I suggest setting up a Tabuk style(http://www.militaryf...mallarms_id=194) Saiga with 20" barrel.

Note that the article mentions a 23" barrel but that includes flash suppressor. And if length is an issue, BULLPUP it. This is my intent, but your needs may vary.

Imagine a DMR with a 75rnd drum. :angel:

that's pretty awesome.... 75 rounder would be killer.