weld on sights

Hey guys, I was thinking about adding some weld-on HK sights to my s12. My question is, is it as simple as just welding the sights to the gas block? Or will the high temps damage the block if I'm not careful? I have zero experience welding but I don't know if I can get away with just finding someone who can or if I should find a gunsmith who is willing to weld.

My 2¢

I would find someone who is skilled at welding, whether it be a smith or not. Distortion can occur, annealing the gas plug threads can happen. I have a welder and limited skills on projects but its not something i would attempt myself.

Plus TIG welding or Silver Soldering would be the best options (i would think) and they are a skilled process/craft to master. Especially when going for a good finished product that you'd want to be visually pleasing.

Nuff said...rail mounted sights it is! Thanks for the advice.

Our new Titan and Nemesis rail system, covers this issue, giving you a longer line of sight than you can achieve with weld on sights, plus a platform for many types of low profile co-witness optics and provides the hinging system for those wanting their dust cover attached to the rail. Keep a look out more info coming soon. These new rails system will offer options never seen before for Saiga 12.:super:

• Like 1

Our new Titan and Nemesis rail system, covers this issue, giving you a longer line of sight than you can achieve with weld on sights, plus a platform for many types of low profile co-witness optics and provides the hinging system for those wanting their dust cover attached to the rail. Keep a look out more info coming soon. These new rails system will offer options never seen before for Saiga 12.:super:

How does it offer a longer line of sight than weld on? Looks like it comes to mid dust cover? Beautiful design btw

Im not sure what weld on sights you are referring to but mine are welded to the far rear of the dust cover and on the far front of the gas block.

If I wanted a "tactical" s-12 this would be a good choice to replace the factory sights, I use to have one of your rails on mine before I shortened the gas system, great product. Its now on my buddies s-12 as seen in the video

How does it offer a longer line of sight than weld on? Looks like it comes to mid dust cover? Beautiful design btw

Im not sure what weld on sights you are referring to but mine are welded to the far rear of the dust cover and on the far front of the gas block.

If I wanted a "tactical" s-12 this would be a good choice to replace the factory sights, I use to have one of your rails on mine before I shortened the gas system, great product. Its now on my buddies s-12 as seen in the video

Thanks for the kind words. The rail I'm referring to is our new line up, TITAN, and the NEMESIS. They are full length rail systems, the NEMESIS actually over hangs the dust cover giving 3/4" more line of sight than you can achieve with weld ons. Once I post the full prototypes everyone will see and understand.

Another good thing about the chaos is that your rear sight isnt mounted on your dust cover, which for a shotgun this doesnt really matter unless your shooting slugs

I welded/silver soldiered mine on and never really sighted them in... I always hit where im shooting, but once again its a shotgun...

I went with the weld on sights because I wanted a light weight sbs, but the factory sights just didnt do it for me, for this particular gun Im very happy with the weld ons and love the h&k front sight

• 1 month later...

Hi guys first time posting. I realy like the look of the HK sights. I have TIG and MIG at home and can weld well. How do you align the sights before welding? Just eyeball them or is there a trick to it?

Any help would be great!!

Mark

I align rear with sides of reciever then use a bore lazer for front. Rosette weld rear then check alignment, then tack front, recheck alignment.

My post above is when Tony in a previous post, about this said he just eyef@#k's his on. :eyes_droped:

Edited by saigatechusa

Do you remove the front block to weld the sight? Or use a heat sink and weld the sight on with the block in place??

Leave block on gun for proper alignment

Heat sink is an excellent idea!! I use them all the time.

Also move front sight back so heat is not concentrated on the gas plug threads....about 1/2"

Edited by saigatechusa

I recently asked the gunsmith at our local Gander Mountain about putting front and rear sights on my Benelli M1/Super 90. He said he would drill and tap the receiver for the rear sight....but that for the front, he had found, many years ago, an adhesive that holds the front sight just beautifully, and had never had one come loose.

While he didn't mention the name of the adhesive, he did say 'surface prepartion' and 'getting it straight' were the critical issues, implying of course, that I couldn't do it myself (as if I'd try).

PJJ edited to add....I did seem to recall the word 'black' in our conversation, and looked it up on Google. Seems it is most likely "Black Max" available at Brownell's, and that indeed, it is suitable for bonding metal on metal...."

Instant Adhesive That Withstands Shock Perfect For Gluing Sights & Ribs

Instantly glue on shotgun sights, sight ramps or make fast repairs to vent ribs and beads with this modern, tough-as-nails adhesive. A fast-fix for installing rifle-type sights on plain barreled shotguns. Fast-curing cyanoacrylate, toughened with elastomers, provides greater resistance to impact, vibration and increased shear strength. Impervious to most common gunshop solvents and cleaning agents. Adheres instantly to properly-prepared rubber, plastic or metal surfaces. Flat-black color blends with most blued firearms.

SPECS: Liquid, squeeze tube. .10 fl. oz. (3 ml).

Catalog page 478

mboxCreate('productPage','entity.id=297380040','entity.name=BLACK MAX ADHESIVE','entity.categoryId=Thread Locking Liquids','entity.pageUrl=http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6139/Product/BLACK_MAX_ADHESIVE','entity.siteid=1','entity.inventory=159','entity.thumbnailUrl=http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/t_297380040_1.jpg','entity.value=8.9900','entity.pricerange=$8.99');

Edited by PJJ

I recently asked the gunsmith at our local Gander Mountain about putting front and rear sights on my Benelli M1/Super 90. He said he would drill and tap the receiver for the rear sight....but that for the front, he had found, many years ago, an adhesive that holds the front sight just beautifully, and had never had one come loose.

While he didn't mention the name of the adhesive, he did say 'surface prepartion' and 'getting it straight' were the critical issues, implying of course, that I couldn't do it myself (as if I'd try).

PJJ edited to add....I did seem to recall the word 'black' in our conversation, and looked it up on Google. Seems it is most likely "Black Max" available at Brownell's, and that indeed, it is suitable for bonding metal on metal...."

Instant Adhesive That Withstands Shock Perfect For Gluing Sights & Ribs

Instantly glue on shotgun sights, sight ramps or make fast repairs to vent ribs and beads with this modern, tough-as-nails adhesive. A fast-fix for installing rifle-type sights on plain barreled shotguns. Fast-curing cyanoacrylate, toughened with elastomers, provides greater resistance to impact, vibration and increased shear strength. Impervious to most common gunshop solvents and cleaning agents. Adheres instantly to properly-prepared rubber, plastic or metal surfaces. Flat-black color blends with most blued firearms.

SPECS: Liquid, squeeze tube. .10 fl. oz. (3 ml).

Catalog page 478

mboxCreate('productPage','entity.id=297380040','entity.name=BLACK MAX ADHESIVE','entity.categoryId=Thread Locking Liquids','entity.pageUrl=http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6139/Product/ BLACK_MAX_ADHESIVE','entity.siteid=1','entity.inventory=159',' entity.thumbnailUrl=http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/t_297380040_1.jpg' ,'entity.value=8.9900','entity.pricerange=$8.99');

It looks interesting. But gluing a HK sight right to the hottest part (gas block) would probably cook the glue.

My post above is when Tony in a previous post, about this said he just eyef@#k's his on. :eyes_droped:

It worked for me too, LOL.

If you check my digital S-12 build you'll see that it was eyefucked first and measured after as my friend felt the need to check how accurate I was... I can live with being a hundreth off on a shotgun with a adjustable rear.

It worked for me too, LOL.

If you check my digital S-12 build you'll see that it was eyefucked first and measured after as my friend felt the need to check how accurate I was... I can live with being a hundreth off on a shotgun with a adjustable rear.

That's great!! I'm glad that worked for you. :rolleyes: You do realize that a hundreth is a little over 3/32 of an inch?

I guess no one cares about quaility. I personally build all mine as if I were building them for myself. Which they are for myself.:horror:

Edited by saigatechusa

That's great!! I'm glad that worked for you. :rolleyes: You do realize that a hundreth is a little over 3/32 of an inch?

I guess no one cares about quaility. I personally build all mine as if I were building them for myself. Which they are for myself.:horror:

Not trying to be argumentitive here but...

3/32" = 0.09375"

My variance by eye was

1/100" or 0.01"

I believe you were thinking of a tenth.

So what you guys are saying is its a shotgun not a snipers rifle. Just eyeball it and close enough!:rolleyes:

Basicly. your going to mount the rear on a dust cover that if you do nothing to will move around anyway.

still no reason to not get it as close as you can.