Thinking about getting a 10 mm

I am thinking about trading in my Glock 17 (9 mm) and my Taurus Tracker 5 rd stainless .44 mag for a Glock 20. I mean, the G17 is my night stand gun and the .44 mag is my fishing/camping/hiking bear protection gun and it seems like a G20 is well-suited for both roles. One less gun to clean and one less ammo type to store to is always good, right?

I mean, I know that 10 mm is not nearly as powerful as .44 mag for bear protection, but it seems to me like the 3x round capacity, better ergonomics and accuracy (due to lower recoil) would offset this. Plus, I am MUCH more likely to run into an average size black bear than a big ass griz.

For practice, I can get 500 rounds of BVAC FMJ for about $190.

What do you guys think? By the way, I am a big guy and know how to properly hold my pistols, so the extra recoil (over a 9 mm) probably wouldn't bother me. I've shot quite a bit of hot .40 cal rounds and the recoil didn't feel much worse than 9 mm to me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are some Glock 20SF to Glock 17 Gen 4 comparison pics:             Conclusion: Glock 20SF is not really that much bigger (or heavier).

So, I just picked up a new Glock 20SF 10 mm. I had decided to keep my G17 because it's good to have a modern pistol shooting a cheap, common caliber, but after just reading about drop-in .40 cal conve

I like the 180 gr in the 10mm. I think that it is the best compromise for velocity vs weight.

Posted Images

Maybe trade your Taurus 44 Mag for a Taurus 45 24/7 OSS DS? Mine holds 12+1, that way you can keep your 9mm for HD. In my opinion, I would rather have two guns and lots of ammo for each, but that's just me. Never know when you'll need a backup. Good luck with you're decision

Oyeah, last time I bought ammo, I got 1000 rounds for $300

Edited by AZG

Maybe trade your Taurus 44 Mag for a Taurus 45 24/7 OSS DS? Mine holds 12+1, that way you can keep your 9mm for HD. In my opinion, I would rather have two guns and lots of ammo for each, but that's just me. Never know when you'll need a backup. Good luck with you're decision

A .45? Those heavy, low velocity slugs are nice man-stoppers, but are not very good against the thick hide, fat and bone of even a black bear. You need a hot, smaller round for that. Some 10 mm loads are as powerful as .41 mag, while some HD loads are about as mild as a hot .40 cal.

By the way, I have my Com Block surplus pistols as back-ups: two 9 mm Mak guns and a brand new Zastava M57 7.62x25 mm Tokarev clone. I'm just running out of room to store all my guns and ammo and don't particularly enjoy cleaning them either. That's why, I am always looking to consolidate my arsenal.

It is good to have at least one 9 mm pistol around tho. Very common round... I might just trade in that Taurus .44. and pay up a bit to get that 10 mm. The only thing that I ever liked about that Taurus is that it's light and compact. The ergos are total shit for me.

I have a Glock 29SF. The cost of the ammo really hinders me shooting the gun. Ammo is very available though locally (Cabelas) and online. Honestly, the fun in the 10mm is shooting the full power stuff. BVAC ammo feels about as powerful as the walmart 9mm stuff. A real bunny fart load and a waste of time IMO. Even winchester silvertips are significantly less powerful than full power loads (Buffalo Bore). It seems like handloading is the way to go.

A .45? Those heavy, low velocity slugs are nice man-stoppers, but are not very good against the thick hide, fat and bone of even a black bear. You need a hot, smaller round for that.

Don't be so sure, a bear was taken with a .45 ACP recently (as in the past year or so)

• 1 month later...

So, I just picked up a new Glock 20SF 10 mm. I had decided to keep my G17 because it's good to have a modern pistol shooting a cheap, common caliber, but after just reading about drop-in .40 cal conversion barrels for G20s, I think that I might just sell that G17. You can install a .40 cal barrel into that G20 and use the same mags. Didn't read about any reliability complaints with KKM barrels. Like having two guns in one! 40 cal is just about as cheap and common as 9 mm. Hmm... decisions, decisions...

EDIT: By the way, this G20SF is not even uncomfortably larger or heavier than my G17, especially since I am not worried about having to conceal either of these weapons.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

Good to see you joined the 10mm club. My 1st was an 1076 S&W, issued weapon. Bought when left. Then was Colt Delta, Glock 20, 3 29s. Kimber Target and Eclipse. S&W 610, 1026, 1086. Colt AR upper with 30 rd stick mags. Got a couple places I buy bulk ammo. Give PM if interested. KKM replacement barrels are top rate, also check out EFK Fire Dragon and Lone Wolf. EFK Fire Dragon makes a dual spring recoil reducer which brings heavy hunt loads down to 9mm type recoil. Have in 1st 29. Put 1,000 rds no problem, pistol has over 4,000 rds fired. Daily CC, and back up when on duty. :smoke:

So, I just picked up a new Glock 20SF 10 mm. I had decided to keep my G17 because it's good to have a modern pistol shooting a cheap, common caliber, but after just reading about drop-in .40 cal conversion barrels for G20s, I think that I might just sell that G17. You can install a .40 cal barrel into that G20 and use the same mags. Didn't read about any reliability complaints with KKM barrels. Like having two guns in one! 40 cal is just about as cheap and common as 9 mm. Hmm... decisions, decisions...

KKMs decent, My EFK .40S&W barrel works horribly in my G29 though. Look in to Lone Wolf Distributors and pick up a .357 SIG barrel for grins!

So, what would be a good bear defense load? I am thinking 200 gr FMJ with about 750 ft/lbf of energy. Anyone know where I can get some of that stuff?

EDIT: Found this on Midway USA:

DoubleTap Ammunition 10mm Auto 200 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1275 fps

Muzzle Energy: 722 ft. lbs.

What do you guys think?

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I just ordered a Lone Wolf .40S&W Conversion barrel for my Glock 20 yesterday. I got a very good deal on it at $80, shipped. If it works as well as my Lone Wolf 9mm Conversion barrel for my Glock 27 I will be pretty happy. I love the 10mm, but see little reason to waste it on paper when .40S&W loads will be about the same as target loads for the 10mm.

I also have the Advantage Arms .22RF Slide Conversion for it, so one why or the other, I am going to keep shooting my G20! :D

Remember, a 10mm has more energy at the 100 yards then a .45 ACP has at the muzzle.

I just ordered a Lone Wolf .40S&W Conversion barrel for my Glock 20 yesterday. I got a very good deal on it at $80, shipped. If it works as well as my Lone Wolf 9mm Conversion barrel for my Glock 27 I will be pretty happy. I love the 10mm, but see little reason to waste it on paper when .40S&W loads will be about the same as target loads for the 10mm.

I also have the Advantage Arms .22RF Slide Conversion for it, so one why or the other, I am going to keep shooting my G20! :D

Remember, a 10mm has more energy at the 100 yards then a .45 ACP has at the muzzle.

Where did you find it for $80?

So, what would be a good bear defense load? I am thinking 200 gr FMJ with about 750 ft/lbf of energy. Anyone know where I can get some of that stuff?

EDIT: Found this on Midway USA:

DoubleTap Ammunition 10mm Auto 200 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1275 fps

Muzzle Energy: 722 ft. lbs.

What do you guys think?

"Buffalo Bore" has/makes some good hunting rounds. Direct or off the self at Cabelas. Georgia Arms has reasonable price on bulk 165 and 180gr. Surplus Ammo at times has bulk. :smoke:

"Buffalo Bore" has/makes some good hunting rounds. Direct or off the self at Cabelas. Georgia Arms has reasonable price on bulk 165 and 180gr. Surplus Ammo at times has bulk. :smoke:

Careful you don't grab the 10mm for revolvers that Buffaloe Bore makes......things could get exciting! Maybe even explosive :unsure:

I just ordered a Lone Wolf .40S&W Conversion barrel for my Glock 20 yesterday. I got a very good deal on it at $80, shipped. .....

Where did you find it for $80?

I found it using River of Guns, I use it frequently when I am looking for something. That was the only one that this vendor had at that price, and it was slightly used.

Check your PM.

I am thinking of fabricating a spacer similar to the ones used in the STI guns to move the shorter .40 S&W round forward for more reliable feeding. Most everything that I have read does not indicate it to be a problem, but it still concerns me. I plan is to put a spacer like this in the back of the mag: stainless%20spacer.jpg

Then to use the factory Glock .40 S&W Follower in the Glock 20 tube. I am accumulating parts now and will let you know how it works.

By the way K.T. I have a Desert Eagle .44 Magnum and .50 AE, and it is not the combat pistol that the Glock 20 is! Funny indeed! :haha:

Edited by Azrial

Funny thing is, I use my Taurus tracker 5 round 44mag for hiking and my bed side gun. I just change the ammo. Cor-bon hard cast for the woods, Glaser safety slugs for bed side. A cannon doesn't need 17 rounds.

Good lord! I hope those Glaser rounds you have are not that powerful of loads, because I would have hated to ever have used that revolver indoors, especially in the dark! It would have been like getting flashbanged! I mean, it's a good gun for what it is: light, compact, stainless... I was just never able to get a good grip on it or make accurate quick follow up shots. Glocks - I shoot really well.

I wish i would have waited to pick up one of the SF or gen 4 versions-- I have no problem shooting the 40 dead nuts on but the 10 mm i tend to pull to the left (milking the grip i think) so i think a slimmer grip would help. I don't have the extra funds to try to buy a frame SO until then i keep working on my technique. But my i haven't regretted switching to 10 mm. I used to be a died in the wool 45 acp. until i read the ballistics of the 10 and decided that this was one of the best kept versatile caliber secrets. I do reload but with relocating and current work i haven't had the time to set up the press. I did get a AA 22lr conversion reliable with Remington gold bulk pack and conversion barrels --storm lake 10 mm for lead--used KKM for 40. I think keeping the 9 mm was a good idea as it is the most abundant caliber out there and if there is a STF scenario then you will have availability to make use of that round. Still i hope to stash 1000's of 10 mm once i get my press up and running and get a good load for SD and Hunting.

the idea of the 10 mm 200 grain traveling fast enough to turn cover into concealment appeals to me. Thats why i have the 7.62 x 39 and the .223 (for common round availability).

anyway try heading over to glock talk the 10 ring for as more info.

You know you can get a 357 sig and 9 x 25 dillion conversion barrel for the 10 mm. I haven't quite sat down and inquired why guys would want either of those as the 10 mm round loads either perform comparable or out perform them (on paper of course). that is one question i will have to raise.

anyway hope you enjoy the gun. If you want tons of 10 mm links Pm me and i will gladly feed you need for speed.

I think keeping the 9 mm was a good idea as it is the most abundant caliber out there and if there is a STF scenario then you will have availability to make use of that round.

I am still not sure whether I'm going to keep that G17 Gen4. Heck, I still haven't had a chance to shoot this Glock 20SF. Looks like the weather will be agreeable this weekend and I will finally be able to. I received my Lone Wolf .40 cal conversion barrel and need to test that out too. I am not sure how prudent it is to rely on being able to scavenge ammo in a true SHTF scenario. Most hard-core survivalist guys say that, most likely, you will be stuck with what you got. Plus, at this point, .40 cal is almost as common and abundant as 9 mm. It's what most PDs use too. Personally, I don't see the need to keep many modern pistols. A pistol is just something that you use until you can get to your rifle, any way.

I think keeping the 9 mm was a good idea as it is the most abundant caliber out there and if there is a STF scenario then you will have availability to make use of that round.

I am still not sure whether I'm going to keep that G17 Gen4. Heck, I still haven't had a chance to shoot this Glock 20SF. Looks like the weather will be agreeable this weekend and I will finally be able to. I received my Lone Wolf .40 cal conversion barrel and need to test that out too. I am not sure how prudent it is to rely on being able to scavenge ammo in a true SHTF scenario. Most hard-core survivalist guys say that, most likely, you will be stuck with what you got. Plus, at this point, .40 cal is almost as common and abundant as 9 mm. It's what most PDs use too. Personally, I don't see the need to keep many modern pistols. A pistol is just something that you use until you can get to your rifle, any way.

Say that after you throw an RMR on there and take it out to 200 with ease!

Finally got out there and tested this Glock 20SF out. Seems like a great shooter so far. The plinking ammo was Remington UMC 180 gr FMJ. Delivering 529 ft. lbs., that stuff is basically .40 cal +P+. I was shooting silhouette targets from 25 yards. With that load, the groups were nice and tight, even with rapid fire. The recoil was significantly increased with Winchester SilverTip HPs, which delivers 649 ft. lbs., but still very manageable. I definitely require more practice with full-power loads like these tho. Going to order some of that Double Tap 200 gr 750 ft. lbs. FMJs. That will be my woods protection load. The SilverTips seem like a very good choice for personal defense against two-legged predators.

I also received my Lone Wold .40 cal conversion barrel, but didn't have any .40 cal ammo to test it out with yesterday (didn't feel like driving to Walmart).

Here's a video that I made. It's not too exciting. I was going to do a lot more cool shots: targets, water jugs exploding, POV empty shotgun shell shooting from 25 ft, etc, but the damn camera battery died! It was showing "full" when I checked the camera at home! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YImI0IPpty4

By the way, the black mask is for privacy reasons only. I realize that it looks rather silly.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

By the way, do you guys know of some online retailers that carry a good selection of "real" 10mm rounds. MidwayUSA is pretty good, but CTD's selection is total crap!

Swampfox Guns and Ammo...

I love my Glock 29SF and I ALSO just got a LW 40 conversion barrel that has so far worked flawlessly, even with a few hundred rounds of winchester white box 40. I then went to my local Cabelas to find piles of Winchester Ranger JHP 155gr ammo on the CLEARANCE RACK at 16.99 for a box of 50rds. This stuff feels almost like commercial 10mm, and I have tons for practice and some storage.