Isn't it always a trademark of the young to think anything that came before them is worthless?

It seems to be some sort of rationalization mechanism they use to excuse, or even justify, their ignorance.

Hardly. I'll be 40 in less than a year. Could just as easily say that a trademark of the old is to idealize the past and gloss over every bad thing that would disrupt that idealization. Every older generation likes to think they're the best that ever was and that the one after them is going to wreck everything they worked so hard on. And they're right; it's just that what usually gets wrecked and discarded is all the useless, stupid garbage that the older generation holds onto out of either fear of losing privilege or just sheer pig-headed stubbornness.

When this dumbass was in his prime, segregation was still alive and well, women were still mostly worth no more than their ability to keep house and our society generally ignored all kinds of awful shit in favor of pretending we were the bestest most perfect nation ever. Now I realize that might appeal to some of the more aged and less-adaptable people around these days but those times are past and no amount of pining for them is going to bring them back.

And yes, if you're wondering, I do enjoy reminding people of that. The clock doesn't go backwards no matter how much you dig in your heels. The days when you could comfortably be a bigot or a bully are dead. The bullies and bigots you've idolized are now openly reviled by people no longer afraid to express such sentiments. Funny how inconvenient freedom can be sometimes isn't it?

• Like 3

Went to the theater with my Father to see this. We both enjoyed the original, although my Dad didn't particularly like the fact that, in "The Duke's" version, Rooster Cogburn only had a Winchester and one(yes, one) SAA. Cogburn was a Bushwacker during the Civil War, and heavily relying on a long rifle in a running gunfight on horseback was not a typical situation a Bushwacker would have found himself in, and it was always something that bothered my Dad.

In the Coen Bro's version, we were both delighted to see the grizzled old Bushwacker doing what he would have been quite adept at: grasping the reins in his teeth, while double-pawing pistols.

After viewing the film, I felt that the story had been somehow shortened, as if there were parts missing(like when Bridges and Damon are trading shots at cornbread biscuits). I really do feel that this movie, once it debuts on DVD/Blu-Ray next year, will have an unedited 'Director's Cut' on the way before too long. And if that hunch is proven correct, then hot damn, will that version kick ass.

On another note, I loved the barbs traded between Bridges and Damon regarding their backgrounds and places of origin.

And by the way, John Wayne was awesome.

Edited by Photoguy
  • Like 1

Went to the theater with my Father to see this. We both enjoyed the original, although my Dad didn't particularly like the fact that, in "The Duke's" version, Rooster Cogburn only had a Winchester and one(yes, one) SAA. Cogburn was a Bushwacker during the Civil War, and heavily relying on a long rifle in a running gunfight on horseback was not a typical situation a Bushwacker would have found himself in, and it was always something that bothered my Dad.

In the Coen Bro's version, we were both delighted to see the grizzled old Bushwacker doing what he would have been quite adept at: grasping the reins in his teeth, while double-pawing pistols.

After viewing the film, I felt that the story had been somehow shortened, as if there were parts missing(like when Bridges and Damon are trading shots at cornbread biscuits). I really do feel that this movie, once it debuts on DVD/Blu-Ray next year, will have an unedited 'Director's Cut' on the way before too long. And if that hunch is proven correct, then hot damn, will that version kick ass.

On another note, I loved the barbs traded between Bridges and Damon regarding their backgrounds and places of origin.

Excellent review. +1 for you.

Just watched the original and the new one back to back...

many places in the film is almost word for word same script as the original... Though the Duke can never be replaced, the new film was very well done and respectful to the original work..

I think the young lady in the new one far surpasses the girl from the original... Some of the critical back-story about the father was absent in the remake.

Westerns, let alone a decent one are far and few these days... I wouldn't miss the chance to see this on the big screen... Soooo much crap coming out of Hollywood nowdays.

This is a good film in it's own right..

Mr Daniels did a good job... he did his own take on the character... the worst thing he could have done is to try and play John Wayne playing Rooster.... and he didn't...

There are some things I like about both versions a little better than the other.

It may not be a classic John Wayne western... but it is far from a bad film...

Edit: If you are expecting/hoping to see the Duke resurrected... go watch the classic.. you will not see it here.

If you want to take the time and see a very good/well done new western.. you will enjoy the new film.

I saw it yesterday and it was good, I thought better than the original. They did trade shots at cornbread biscuits in the new one, you must of went to the bathroom.

I saw it yesterday and it was good, I thought better than the original. They did trade shots at cornbread biscuits in the new one, you must of went to the bathroom.

You misunderstood me. After they finished trading the shots, it seemed as though Cogburn would continue the scene, but it transitioned rather quickly. I don't know; maybe they had an extension to this scene, maybe not. It just seemed like it had been cut off too early.

Oh, and by the way, Josh Brolin did a solid sociopath and Barry Pepper channeled Robert Duvall's original "Lucky" Ned Pepper quite well.

Isn't it always a trademark of the young to think anything that came before them is worthless?

It seems to be some sort of rationalization mechanism they use to excuse, or even justify, their ignorance.

Hardly. I'll be 40 in less than a year. Could just as easily say that a trademark of the old is to idealize the past and gloss over every bad thing that would disrupt that idealization. Every older generation likes to think they're the best that ever was and that the one after them is going to wreck everything they worked so hard on. And they're right; it's just that what usually gets wrecked and discarded is all the useless, stupid garbage that the older generation holds onto out of either fear of losing privilege or just sheer pig-headed stubbornness.

When this dumbass was in his prime, segregation was still alive and well, women were still mostly worth no more than their ability to keep house and our society generally ignored all kinds of awful shit in favor of pretending we were the bestest most perfect nation ever. Now I realize that might appeal to some of the more aged and less-adaptable people around these days but those times are past and no amount of pining for them is going to bring them back.

And yes, if you're wondering, I do enjoy reminding people of that. The clock doesn't go backwards no matter how much you dig in your heels. The days when you could comfortably be a bigot or a bully are dead. The bullies and bigots you've idolized are now openly reviled by people no longer afraid to express such sentiments. Funny how inconvenient freedom can be sometimes isn't it?

1st, enjoyed new movie. Do like "The Duke" and the idealogy he represented. :super: Usually let the self righteous, pompus ass comments like this go. :rolleyes: Not this morning. It's 8 degrees out this morning, and I'm checking my uniform and gear for honor guard duty. Going to respect and lay to rest a veteran, from that era you think is so distasteful. Jack was on the 2nd wave at Omaha beach, obtained 3 purple hearts and a bronze star going across Europe defending the racist idealogy you despise so much. Then Jack went to Korea when called, recieved 2 more purple hearts and another bronze star. Then came home and raised 6 children and made his community a better place. Those who have made "The Stand" for that idealogy, just shake their head and pity the stupidity of your comments. I, myself have gone to 2 conflicts and have bleed for that idealogy. Lost a son 2 years ago, making the stand. So, you are WELCOME, for your freedom to be a self loathing, pompus ass. Enough persons have sacrificed for your right. :smoke:

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 4

I saw it yesterday and liked it a lot. I too had a little bit of a hard time following what Rooster said and think Bridges did a little bit too much with that, kind of like what Billy Bob did in Swing Blade.

Some lines I liked?

If he wanted a decent burial he should of gotten himself killed in summertime. (Something like that).

You misunderstood me. After they finished trading the shots, it seemed as though Cogburn would continue the scene, but it transitioned rather quickly. I don't know; maybe they had an extension to this scene, maybe not. It just seemed like it had been cut off too early.

Oh, and by the way, Josh Brolin did a solid sociopath and Barry Pepper channeled Robert Duvall's original "Lucky" Ned Pepper quite well.

Oh gotcha.

I thought the guy who played Ned Pepper did a really good job, I was expecting Josh Brolin to act not as dumb as he did, I was expecting a badass outlaw, Ned ended up being better to me.

I saw it yesterday and liked it a lot. I too had a little bit of a hard time following what Rooster said and think Bridges did a little bit too much with that, kind of like what Billy Bob did in Swing Blade.

Some lines I liked?

If he wanted a decent burial he should of gotten himself killed in summertime. (Something like that).

Yeah he was definitely a mumbler.

I thought Matt Damnon did a really good job, Im not a big fan of his but I liked him here

1st, enjoyed new movie. Do like "The Duke" and the idealogy he represented. :super: Usually let the self righteous, pompus ass comments like this go. :rolleyes: Not this morning. It's 8 degrees out this morning, and I'm checking my uniform and gear for honor guard duty. Going to respect and lay to rest a veteran, from that era you think is so distasteful. Jack was on the 2nd wave at Omaha beach, obtained 3 purple hearts and a bronze star going across Europe defending the racist idealogy you despise so much. Then Jack went to Korea when called, recieved 2 more purple hearts and another bronze star. Then came home and raised 6 children and made his community a better place. Those who have made "The Stand" for that idealogy, just shake their head and pity the stupidity of your comments. I, myself have gone to 2 conflicts and have bleed for that idealogy. Lost a son 2 years ago, making the stand. So, you are WELCOME, for your freedom to be a self loathing, pompus ass. Enough persons have sacrificed for your right. :smoke:

Oh well I'm so glad you made an exception for little ol' me.

Did I say "everyone from that era has no value at all"? No. Did I say "WWII and Korean War veterans suck"? No. Marion Morrison was neither a veteran NOR the embodiment of the entire age. He just embodied the worst of it personally while pretending to be part of the best of it as an actor. If you can't separate a veteran's brave service against the Axis from some actor's macho racist dumbshittery, if you think those two things are inextricably linked, that's your problem and not mine. So spare me the "You're welcome for your freedom to be a dumbass" speech. Anybody starts veering into "Boy, people died so you could say shit like that so you should stop saying shit like that" territory, I don't owe them thanks for anything. I am born with this right to speak, I will die with it and anyone with half a brain here knows that the soldier ordered to protect it can just as easily be ordered to take it away along with my guns, my property and my life. So you're going to have to excuse me if I don't display the proper deference for your profession and uniform, sir. I was raised in a country where my freedoms aren't supposed to hinge on the whims of soldiers and where I was never told I should curtail my speech because someone in authority thinks I should.

And if you or anyone else still doesn't fucking get it at this point, that's just too damn bad. I can't really explain this any clearer than I have and if you're stupid enough to think that we fought the nazis to protect Jim Crow and to keep women in the kitchen, then there's really nothing I can do for you since most of your mental energy is obviously devoted to allowing you to remember to breathe from moment to moment and I don't want to be responsible for you suffocating to death while you try to process a new idea. Good day, gentlemen.

• Like 1

Oh well I'm so glad you made an exception for little ol' me.

Did I say "everyone from that era has no value at all"? No. Did I say "WWII and Korean War veterans suck"? No. Marion Morrison was neither a veteran NOR the embodiment of the entire age. He just embodied the worst of it personally while pretending to be part of the best of it as an actor. If you can't separate a veteran's brave service against the Axis from some actor's macho racist dumbshittery, if you think those two things are inextricably linked, that's your problem and not mine. So spare me the "You're welcome for your freedom to be a dumbass" speech. Anybody starts veering into "Boy, people died so you could say shit like that so you should stop saying shit like that" territory, I don't owe them thanks for anything. I am born with this right to speak, I will die with it and anyone with half a brain here knows that the soldier ordered to protect it can just as easily be ordered to take it away along with my guns, my property and my life. So you're going to have to excuse me if I don't display the proper deference for your profession and uniform, sir. I was raised in a country where my freedoms aren't supposed to hinge on the whims of soldiers and where I was never told I should curtail my speech because someone in authority thinks I should.

And if you or anyone else still doesn't fucking get it at this point, that's just too damn bad. I can't really explain this any clearer than I have and if you're stupid enough to think that we fought the nazis to protect Jim Crow and to keep women in the kitchen, then there's really nothing I can do for you since most of your mental energy is obviously devoted to allowing you to remember to breathe from moment to moment and I don't want to be responsible for you suffocating to death while you try to process a new idea. Good day, gentlemen.

You Sir, are a very angry, pompous ass. I am glad I do not 'get it' as you so blatantly stated. Anything you get, I want no part of it. Good day, Sir!

• Like 1

Like I said, you are welcome for your right to be self righteous, pompus ass. Same mindset that hasn't the balls to man the wall, yet will throw rocks at those who do. So be it. Nit pick and arm chair trash those who do. :angel: Look for any instance to varify your hatred of those who make The Stand. Sleep well tonight, there are those out there tonight, keeping you safe. More than likely not in a politically correct way.:smoke: Hell, my great grandfather (an infant) was protected by his mothers bullet riddled body at Wounded Knee, so yes I do know the difference of a badly used military. As a deputy, our department stood between a pissed off farmer and protected him from the FBI raid team. So grow a pair by action. And if need be, will take up arms again. Just because you have the right to be stupid, doesn't mean you have to use it. :rolleyes:

• Like 2