Replacing my FSB and GB now.

So I've finally decided to get rid of that neutered excuse for an FSB, and decided I'd ditch the factory GB and pick up a proper retainer for my lower handguard as well.

I'm most likely going to go for the bulgarian AK-74 style FSB so I can use that break, but I'm open to suggestions. I could go old school and get a 14x1 threaded FSB and use the classic slant break, but then to complete the look I'd need the angled GB.

This is kinda a late order xmas gift for myself, that I'll keep a secret from family :lolol:

BTW, I'm gonna be sure to classy's guide for FSB and GB swaps. Since mine's an '06, the FSB and GB lack the dimples and are pinned instead.

ETA: I just realized since mine is an '06, I most likely won't have a threaded barrel, so I will be going for the 24mm from K-Var.

Edited by VaiFanatic90

Well, I cut through the FSB, gave it a good smack, and just twisted it off. There's no threading :(

How difficult is it realign the new gas block with the ports in the barrel? If it's too complicated (and I doubt it is) I'll just leave it and swap the FSB.

post-25308-0-17262600-1293238497_thumb.jpg

Edited by VaiFanatic90

If you replace the GB, make sure you replace it w/ a 90-degree GB. Otherwise you'll be filling and re-drilling the gas ports... Use the current, Bulgarian stuff. You can drill out the brake to 3/8" and it will work great for 7.62x39.

JG

If you replace the GB, make sure you replace it w/ a 90-degree GB. Otherwise you'll be filling and re-drilling the gas ports... Use the current, Bulgarian stuff. You can drill out the brake to 3/8" and it will work great for 7.62x39.

JG

K-Var has a bulgy brake ready to be used with 7.62x39, but it's $56.00

So if I get the 90 degree GB, how do I ensure that I'm lined up with the ports?

I did a little "test on mine before I pinned it for the final time.

Pound the Gas Block on, index it like the old one was indexed. Then, plug up the muzzle and chamber. Poke a tiny hole in the muzzle and put the straw of a canned air can in there. Put your finger over the part of the gas block that the gas tube goes on, not enough to plug that though just over it. Shoot canned air, and if you feel air shooting your finger you should be good.

Make sure to test it out at the range before pinning it for the final time.

• Like 2

I did a little "test on mine before I pinned it for the final time.

Pound the Gas Block on, index it like the old one was indexed. Then, plug up the muzzle and chamber. Poke a tiny hole in the muzzle and put the straw of a canned air can in there. Put your finger over the part of the gas block that the gas tube goes on, not enough to plug that though just over it. Shoot canned air, and if you feel air shooting your finger you should be good.

Make sure to test it out at the range before pinning it for the final time.

Alright! I'll use that technique too. It'll be easier for me to pin since the barrel already has the routing for the pins, making part of the work done for me!! Still disappointed about not having threads, was gonna go for the classic brake. But the one from K-Var will work as well.

Thanks, Classy!! I'll let you know how it all goes. I put all my tools up for the day, so I'll probably chop off the GB tomorrow.