looking for a different 308

I have the 21in Saiga 308 converted. But I also have a krink and a Mak90 and a S12. Infact the only non AK rifle I have is a Ruger M77 bolt 30-06. So I've been thinking of expanding my collection. Thought of selling my S308 for a PTR91, FAL or RFB

From what I understand the RFB is a bullpup'd FAL. Haven't heard anything bad about it yet.

Only ever handled a FAL once but it seemed very UN-friendly for lefties. The safety and more importantly the mag release were extremely awkward to use. But it did feel nice in my hands.

Have no knowledge of the PTR. Heard it only takes x51, others sway 308 is gtg too. I read so many polar opposite opinions on them that I dont know if its the greatest thing since sliced bread or the worst possible thing ever invented in the history men.

This wont be just for range. But will replace my S308 as as battle rifle. Looking for something in 18-21in barrel

I dont really like the M1s

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

I have the 21in Saiga 308 converted. But I also have a krink and a Mak90 and a S12. Infact the only non AK rifle I have is a Ruger M77 bolt 30-06. So I've been thinking of expanding my collection. Thought of selling my S308 for a PTR91, FAL or RFB

From what I understand the RFB is a bullpup'd FAL. Haven't heard anything bad about it yet.

Only ever handled a FAL once but it seemed very UN-friendly for lefties. The safety and more importantly the mag release were extremely awkward to use. But it did feel nice in my hands.

Have no knowledge of the PTR. Heard it only takes x51, others sway 308 is gtg too. I read so many polar opposite opinions on them that I dont know if its the greatest thing since sliced bread or the worst possible thing ever invented in the history men.

This wont be just for range. But will replace my S308 as as battle rifle. Looking for something in 18-21in barrel

I dont really like the M1s

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

you would like the RFB then, its lefty friendly. you can move the charging handle to either side. The only thing that irks me is the difference in price through different outlets. I ordered one through my local fun shop for 1650.00 out the door, but I've seen them from 1400 all the way to 1900

I don't know much about the PTR rifles, but I think they make a couple different calibers. To me, the one I saw looked like an HK, an AK and an M4 all mixed together.

The RFB is NOT an FAL. It just takes FAL metric mags is all. The method of operation is completely different. I've yet to fire one however, but I hear good things.

Supposedly the HK is as reliable as an AK.

So long as I used decent mags, my HK91 ran like a champ. It didn't like thermold mags though.

Edited by Corbin

Just curious, what do you find lacking about the S308 that you want to replace it?

The FALs and HK91s have good reputations. Supposedly the HK is as reliable as an AK.

Jim

I dont find anything lacking about it at all. love the look and feel! I've shot every kind of 308 through it and it has been 110% reliable with pretty decent accuracy. Ok I admit I love the finish on the PTRs compared to the Saigas but that isnt a problem for me since I didnt buy it to hang it on a wall like a painting. I guess its just that the only rifles I have are AKs and I love them but I'd like some variety as well. I'd gladly keep it and buy a different 308 but I cant aford to do that. Something must go in order to buy something else. Not sure if that makes sence or not but thats the only way I can describe it.

My buddy has the PTR-91 with a retractable stock. It's heavy as hell, seems to be picky about ammo, mangles the shells and is definitely NOT lefty friendly. I mean, the charging handle is on the left side, way forward - close to the muzzle.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

HK roller block is tuff on brass if you reload. Had since 89, yes a good investment now. 3 M1A's (standard, Scout, and Socom), Cetme, Vepr, Saiga, 3 Fals- 2 built myself and a DSA tactical. Rock River LAR-8. Even a French job that was converted for 308 when imported. All have been dependable. DSA was a custom order build. Use the saiga the most, others don't like steel cases and weight is best. So, what to pick. FN FAL if going with quality build, just personal pref. Oh, I'm a weapons addict. Will have a RFB. :smoke: